• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any idea when Lollipop is coming?

It seems Europe always gets these updates before the US. I suspect Samsung looks at Europe as beta testers. After about a month or so (Assuming there are no major issues discovered in Europe), the US carriers start rolling it out. I would guess late January to Mid Feb for US carriers to start their roll out.

Upvote 0
It seems Europe always gets these updates before the US. I suspect Samsung looks at Europe as beta testers. After about a month or so (Assuming there are no major issues discovered in Europe), the US carriers start rolling it out. I would guess late January to Mid Feb for US carriers to start their roll out.
The difference in timing is that the US carriers have an extensive testing process before giving the OTA the green light. Its not so much that the rest of the world is a beta test as our carriers being over cautious.

Upvote 0
verizon rolled out 4.4.4 yesterday. seems im experiencing the effects of it, think it sucks, phones acting up and seems like now i gotta buy something that works cause cant get it to stop turning off on its own
Verizon released 4.4.4 back in the middle of September.

Yesterday they started releasing a minor fix for VPN and a couple of other items. It is NOT a upgrade to a new level of Android. It is just Verizon fixes for stuff they did wrong.

System Update Available.png System Update Benefits list.png System Update Benefits List2.png

There is nothing wrong with the 4.4.4 release, my wife's S5 has the new release on it, mine does not. I refused it until I see what it does. but, I just activated the wife's S5 this morning and while doing that, it refused to let me ignore the "fix release". So far, I cannot see that it had any effect whatsoever on the operation of the phone. However, we don't VPN to anywhere.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Verizon Galaxy S5 since Launch Day, using ART
Box Stock, not rooted 4.4.4
Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail
MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
i have an app that alerts me to security concerns about the VPN. all i know is my phone worked fine following the update yesterday, all my downloaded apps updated the following day and now my phone is barely functioning. i didnt do anything to the phone at all. its in an otterbox defender since new. kinda strange it worked fine until this last minor update. now i have to leave something running like pandora or the phone shuts itself off. im hoping maybe lollipop will roll out sooner than later and if i can do that update that this thing will revert to working properly. right now its slow and it wont even take a factory reset at all

Upvote 0
i have an app that alerts me to security concerns about the VPN. all i know is my phone worked fine following the update yesterday, all my downloaded apps updated the following day and now my phone is barely functioning. i didnt do anything to the phone at all. its in an otterbox defender since new. kinda strange it worked fine until this last minor update. now i have to leave something running like pandora or the phone shuts itself off. im hoping maybe lollipop will roll out sooner than later and if i can do that update that this thing will revert to working properly. right now its slow and it wont even take a factory reset at all
I always keep Automatic Updates set to OFF in the Play Store settings.

I much prefer to monitor the app updates so that I can track what is happening.
Also, not all updates are needed, most are usually visual changes.
Some as your phone seems to have done, were not so good for your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones