• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any interest in the upcoming Captivate?

Oh, I guess I misread the article about android updates.

So you're happy with the Aria? I know that if I pulled the trigger on it I'd love it, but if I compared it with a 'superphone' I'd probably not want the smaller screen res and processor. I don't know, I'm gonna wait to see if all '5' androids really come to fruition (and I hope the Dell Aero is dropped in favor of a higher-end Motorola and/or HTC)

I have the Aria. And I'm very happy with it. It's just that whenever I see my sister-in-law's Evo or my friend's Incredible, I get jealous. It's a great phone, absolutely. But whenever I'm reminded that I have the "JV squad" equivalent, I get bummed. I wanna play Varsity, even if it's for another school.

Reactions: Ambictus
Upvote 0
I have the Aria. And I'm very happy with it. It's just that whenever I see my sister-in-law's Evo or my friend's Incredible, I get jealous. It's a great phone, absolutely. But whenever I'm reminded that I have the "JV squad" equivalent, I get bummed. I wanna play Varsity, even if it's for another school.

LOL... I'd be switching schools if I had the ridiculous amounts of money it would cost me as well :D

I can say I do like the Incredible, not the EVO so much.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the JV squad thing is the only thing holding me back from the Aria, that and my belief that Ambictus is right and there will be another HTC Android on ATT before year end. They seem to be introducing phones right and left, so I don't see why they couldn't add one.

I would like AT&T to really spell out what the want to use andriod as. Clearly they don't want to cut into iPhone sales, which is why the first two androids on big blue/orange were the Backflip and Aria. The backflip was a tweener pos, but the Aria is probably nicest mid-level phone on the market. It's definitely smaller than the Hero, Legend or DROID ERIS...the problem is that it's a year late to the party.

I just don't believe, though, that AT&T will get a HTC phone similar to the EVO or Incredible. I imagine that they are satisfying HTC with the Aria, are going to roll out that terrible looking Dell Aero at some point with little fan-fare, and let the Captivate be their high end Android. AT&T is known for catering toward the iPhone and I just couldn't see them releasing a second high end Android unless they know Verizon is getting the iPhone also.

I just don't know. Waiting is my best bet, but it sucks. I just want to play with all these awesome phones!!!

Upvote 0
I have to say, I've been trying to research the camera (which is very important to me personally) and the best I can come up with are comparisons done with the Galaxy S generic. I'm not sure if the camera is the same in the Captivate, but if it is, this is the first time that I'm starting to think of switching to the darkside (iphone4).

In this article: Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4 vs. the Android Army - PCWorld

The iphone beat out the X, the Galaxy, and the Evo. Across the board.

Why is the camera important to me? I really like taking pictures and want the best camera phone I can get. Every phone except the iphone seems to unfortunately take really shitty pictures and video.

Still, I am very hard to please and if I'd ever become sick of the iphone camera and ended up getting a dedicated then I would HATE myself for not sticking to droid. The camera is literally the only thing I like better about the iphone.

note: This is a cross between being a money thing and being a "i dont carry a lot of stuff around" thing. If I get a dedicated camera, that's more stuff to carry, and an additional couple-few-plus hundred bucks.

Upvote 0
Question regarding exchanges:

The AT&T exchange/returns page says that you can exchange equipment 1 time within 30 days. Does that mean if I decide to go with the Captivate that I'm pretty much stuck with it?

after the 30 day grace period yup pretty much... unless you want to pay the non contract price for a new phone or the ETF for your contract

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I give my heartfelt goodbye to the Aria community before or after I upgrade to the Captivate? I'm also curious whether I will be allowed to swing by here from time to time with some comments without being pelted with garbage and spat upon?

I love you guys! *hug*

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if I give my heartfelt goodbye to the Aria community before or after I upgrade to the Captivate? I'm also curious whether I will be allowed to swing by here from time to time with some comments without being pelted with garbage and spat upon?

I love you guys! *hug*

We don't hate you just because you think you're better than us. We're very accepting people(unless you insult our ridiculously amazing phone).

We will definitely welcome you dropping by from time to time, after all we'll still have Android in common.

Good luck with the Sammy.

Upvote 0
Oh I love the Aria. It's just hard to pass up the Captivate since I'm within my 30 days. There's still a very very small chance that I may hold it and think "this is too big, I'm going to break it!". But then again I've seen some Arias smashed already so...

I almost took a digger on my motorcycle today in the dirt parking lot. rolled over a large rock section and the bike bucked under me, but luckily didn't fall. All I could think about was smashing my Aria in my pocket. At that point any phone's toast. Might as well enjoy a bigger better screen in the meantime right? Can't wait to see that 720p video either.

I will be sore if the Aria gets a software update to record in high def though heh.

Upvote 0
Well I gave back my Aria and got the Captivate. The transition has NOT been very smooth so far. The Aria just works great right out of the box. I'm finding myself working around several hurdles just to get the Captivate to do the same things, but slowly getting there. I am finding fixes for most of my problems, but I would definately recommend the Aria over the Captivate to someone who didn't want to screw around with a bunch of fixes, especially if they didn't care about playing back media that "wows" (the captivate has an absolutely brilliant screen) or take pics/video that is also amazing (it really is heh). Much clearer calls on the Aria too, and better signal strength.

Upvote 0
I finally dropped by an AT&T store and took a look at the Captivate. I have to say I wasn't blown away by the screen as I thought I would be, but it wasn't anything to turn me off from the phone. It was also wider than I would've liked, but I think that's just because it's wider than my current phone and it's something I can get over. I, for one, really like the styling of the Captivate.

What I couldn't get over was the lag that some reviewers were talking about. I definitely noticed lag when hitting the home button or even completing calls. There was just this extra half second of pausing between apps. After completing a call I was just staring at a black screen that said my call was ended and sat there for half a second before going back to the dialer. I tried the HTC Aria which was right next to it, and the phone overall was much snappier. Is this some kind of fluke? I understand that half second pauses don't sound like much, but it's as slow as my iPhone 3GS.

Anyone else experience this?

Upvote 0
I wasn't blown away by the screen as I thought I would be

It's hard to really appreciate the screen when you're just running through the applications. Believe me, it's breathtaking when it's taken advantage of. One big problem of this phone is that it's full potential isn't right out there for the taking by the average user picking it up for the first time, and that's very frustrating. For example, my phone keeps defaulting back to automatic brightness, which dulls it down a lot, and when I want it brighter, I have to manually do it. This is my newest problem to try and solve.

Trust me, the screen is ****ing amazing. HD looks better on this phone than my 720p Panasonic. The contrast ratio is what really pulls it off.

Reactions: ric3bowl
Upvote 0
Well I gave back my Aria and got the Captivate. The transition has NOT been very smooth so far. The Aria just works great right out of the box. I'm finding myself working around several hurdles just to get the Captivate to do the same things, but slowly getting there. I am finding fixes for most of my problems, but I would definately recommend the Aria over the Captivate to someone who didn't want to screw around with a bunch of fixes, especially if they didn't care about playing back media that "wows" (the captivate has an absolutely brilliant screen) or take pics/video that is also amazing (it really is heh). Much clearer calls on the Aria too, and better signal strength.

Could you elaborate more on the hurdles that the Captivate has vs the Aria. I'm looking at both also.

Upvote 0
I finally dropped by an AT&T store and took a look at the Captivate. I have to say I wasn't blown away by the screen as I thought I would be, but it wasn't anything to turn me off from the phone. It was also wider than I would've liked, but I think that's just because it's wider than my current phone and it's something I can get over. I, for one, really like the styling of the Captivate.

What I couldn't get over was the lag that some reviewers were talking about. I definitely noticed lag when hitting the home button or even completing calls. There was just this extra half second of pausing between apps. After completing a call I was just staring at a black screen that said my call was ended and sat there for half a second before going back to the dialer. I tried the HTC Aria which was right next to it, and the phone overall was much snappier. Is this some kind of fluke? I understand that half second pauses don't sound like much, but it's as slow as my iPhone 3GS.

Anyone else experience this?

I hate to say this, but in my experience the lag your experiencing seems to be a Samsung trademark. They are absolutely terrible at optimizing the software to run well on the hardware. They seem to be content to get the software to the point of "good enough" and then call it a day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones