• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any issues with the D2?

nggomez60

Feb 19, 2010
I'm eligible to upgrade in about a month and am torn between the D2 and the DX. I like both for very different reasons but I am coming from an Eris so I would like the model with the least amount of issues. What sort of problems are people having with the D2? Battery life? Slow response? Feel free to share!

All smartphones if used to their potential will have poor battery life, charging more frequently takes care of it. I charge it overnight, in the car, and at the office.

Both devices from what I've read have their own problems. Go to a Droid X forum for the specifics.
The Droid 2 suffers from reception/signal issues, though my problems have been reduced by customer service blocking some kind of signal related to Alltel.

There have been users of both devices that have complained of them being laggy, however I have experienced no such problem on my D2.

Upvote 0
I'm eligible to upgrade in about a month and am torn between the D2 and the DX. I like both for very different reasons but I am coming from an Eris so I would like the model with the least amount of issues. What sort of problems are people having with the D2? Battery life? Slow response? Feel free to share!

lol...Coming from the Eris, anything else will seem like the best phone ever. I made the same switch.

I've had the Droid 2 for 4 days, and I haven't run into anything major...yet. I have run into a few minor inconveniences--after setting up e-mail it refused to connect to the server on any account (including Gmail) until I went to Applications and Cleared Data. I also had to unpair and re-pair my Bluetooth headset to get it working. (But Android 2.2 means we've got hands-free voice dialing, unlike the Eris. WOO!) Here is a list of known bugs.

Blur is different from Sense, so it will take some adjusting to. Setting up multiple e-mail accounts was a little awkward. On the other hand, the texting experience is a LOT better--you can set threads to automatically delete messages after a certain time, and I've found that SWYPE is pretty sweet.

I've been browsing and posting on the Motorola community forum for the Droid 2, and one of the things you'll immediately notice is that, unlike HTC, Motorola actually monitors their forums to provide troubleshooting assistance, relay problems to engineers, fill out bug reports, and pass feature requests to those who can implement them.

So while you're used to be left out to dry with all the Eris problems, I've got the impression that Motorola doesn't play that game. It's helped highlight for me just how bad of a company HTC is.

Upvote 0
This BGR post might interest you.
Motorola DROID 2 has lowest smartphone return rate on Verizon Wireless?

"On the fence about the Motorola DROID 2? Wondering if people are happy with the device? Well, we have been told that the Motorola DROID 2, according to one of our connects, has the lowest smartphone return rate on Verizon Wireless. Not only are people apparently thrilled with the device, but that pesky fluctuation issue with the antenna doesn’t seem to be a problem either, as we have also been informed that the DROID 2 has one of the lowest dropped call rates on the carrier. Who knew."

I came from the D1 with a warranty replacement upgrade. I love the D2 so far. No lag, Battery life seems about the same as D1 it's great. I miss my custom roms and recovery but that's all coming in time. The DX and D1 are both great phones. Depends on what you want (Big screen or keyboard)
Also note that if you are the type to root then the DX has an already large active community, while the D2 is kinda nothing right now. If you don't know what rooting is then that won't matter to you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, we're one of those that did have to return a Droid 2 as being defective, however the replacement has had no problems and neither had reception issues. But my Droid X has also had no problems and both phones have worked well for us.

I believe that return rates have gotten to be of little relevance unless broken down into why the device was returned. How many people bought a Droid X thinking that they may return it when the Droid 2 came out? How many bought a Droid 2 because it was available that day but may exchange it for a Droid X? How many bought their Droid 2 or Droid X with the intent to possibly exchange it for a Fascinate? And how many will return the Fascinate for whatever comes out next or decide they want a D2 or DX after all? In general, how many people purchase phones with the intent to possibly return them within 30 days? It would be interesting to track returns that are people with defective devices versus those who are truly unhappy with their phones versus those that just wanted to keep their options open.

I'm actually rather surprised that Verizon releases 'competing' phones within 30 days of one another, it would seem to make it much simpler for them to not have to deal with a bunch of people planning on exchanging perfectly good phones every time a new model is released.

Upvote 0
Well, we're one of those that did have to return a Droid 2 as being defective, however the replacement has had no problems and neither had reception issues. But my Droid X has also had no problems and both phones have worked well for us.

I believe that return rates have gotten to be of little relevance unless broken down into why the device was returned. How many people bought a Droid X thinking that they may return it when the Droid 2 came out? How many bought a Droid 2 because it was available that day but may exchange it for a Droid X? How many bought their Droid 2 or Droid X with the intent to possibly exchange it for a Fascinate? And how many will return the Fascinate for whatever comes out next or decide they want a D2 or DX after all? In general, how many people purchase phones with the intent to possibly return them within 30 days? It would be interesting to track returns that are people with defective devices versus those who are truly unhappy with their phones versus those that just wanted to keep their options open.

I'm actually rather surprised that Verizon releases 'competing' phones within 30 days of one another, it would seem to make it much simpler for them to not have to deal with a bunch of people planning on exchanging perfectly good phones every time a new model is released.

The numbers of people just temporarily buying one type while waiting for another to be released is probably extremely small in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of buyers dont concern themselves with stuff like that. They don't come to forums to constantly read and post about phones, they don't constantly worry bout when next update or next big thing is going to come out. They buy their phones and use them, only coming to an internet forum rarely and only when they have a specific issue, which they figure out, and go on with their lives. Those of us that try and keep up to the second with all things android are in the small minority.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones