1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Any links to articles about how to move Palm contacts to Gmail contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Vesbon, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm about the take the Android (EVO specifically) plunge. I'm coming from an old Palm phone. Wow, talk about a quantum leap. Anyway, to prepare for the move, how do I get my Palm contacts into Gmail's contacts?

Is that how it works? I need to move my Palm contacts to Gmail contacts, right? Then when I get my new EVO, it will sync with Gmail and my contacts will be in the new phone?

Thanks,
    -v

Advertisement

2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    That's one way to do it. The other way is to manually add them on your new phone and choose then to sync with google, or make it a "phone-only" contact.

Can you export palm contacts into a vcard? Do you have a desktop-syncing program for the palm phone?

If you can export them as a vcard (multiple contacts can be stored on a vcard format) you can upload the vcard file straight into Google Contacts on the web.

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    If you can export to CSV you can import the CSV into gmail. That works for many situations. I can't speak specifically for Palm as I have no recent (not since the Handspring days) first hand experience.

4. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I was thinking the CSV route, but doesn't Gmail have diff't column headers? Is there a template out there?

I'm just surprised there isn't a really easy step-by-step guide that is out there on the web. There are tons of Palm users moving to Android!

-v

5. Sheba611

Sheba611 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    I used the CSV for exporting contact information from my Blackberry phone and importing to my Gmail account. I did have to edit the "Groups" and do some tweaking on work email vs home email and sort out phone numbers if contacts had more than one. I don't know if there is a template that shows what the columns are for Gmail vs Palm so you could do the adjustments before importing them to Gmail.

Vesbon likes this.
  6. Vesbon

Vesbon Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks for the tips. I'll export a Gmail contact to see what columns it uses and then be sure to match that with my Palm exports

-v