• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

Att refuses to give out unlock codes for typically up to 6 months. Most likely to prevent fraud. This gives users only two options...pay an online company to obtain the unlock code or in some cases root or jailbreak the device.

Little known fact...the sprint iphone can be used on almost any carrier and overseas. It just has to be jailbroken
the sprint iphone, the 4s does not need to be jailbroken to work overseas, it is a simple sim unlock though sprint. same is expected with iphone 5
Does Sprint eventually, after some time, unlock the SIM? If not: I see no point in a world phone. A sticky or FAQ entry here might be handy.
For the sprint iphone 4s, after some initial confusion the policy shook out to essentially INSTANT unlock from sprint for post paid (ie anyone except people with bad credit). Call the them the day you bought it and get it the sim unlocked within 24 hours. You dont need anything else, just a prepaid sim while overseas.

For sprint customers who travel overseas and dont use OPM (other peoples money, ie company paid) the iphone is the phone to get for this reason. The sprint CDMA HTC TP2 also had GSM and was the phone of chice for people with that need a few years back..

The sprint g3 is in theory GSM, but the simcard is not removable, making it not a good choice if you want to unlock so you can roam overseas cheaply.

Upvote 0
the sprint iphone, the 4s does not need to be jailbroken to work overseas, it is a simple sim unlock though sprint. same is expected with iphone 5

For the sprint iphone 4s, after some initial confusion the policy shook out to essentially INSTANT unlock from sprint for post paid ...
I eventually ended-up at Sprint's community forums, where I found that out. Thanks for the info, though.

For sprint customers who travel overseas and dont use OPM (other peoples money, ie company paid) the iphone is the phone to get for this reason.
I looked fairly strongly at the iPhone 4s. Most people that have them like them, but, after due consideration, I decided the iWorld was not for me.

The sprint g3 is in theory GSM, but the simcard is not removable, making it not a good choice if you want to unlock so you can roam overseas cheaply.
Then I won't buy it.

(Thing's too big for me, anyway. I want a phone, not a small tablet.)

Jim

Upvote 0
For sprint customers who travel overseas and dont use OPM (other peoples money, ie company paid) the iphone is the phone to get for this reason. The sprint CDMA HTC TP2 also had GSM and was the phone of chice for people with that need a few years back..

Strongly disagree. Motorola Photon 4g (original) absolutely destroys the tp2 in performance and is capable of using international sim because it's unlocked.

Upvote 0
Neither is the touch pro 2 the guy I quoted mentioned...lol.
Yeah, but, remember: The original point was that, at this time, if you want a GSM-capable phone with a SIM card on Sprint, the 4s is it.

But, even though sprint discontinued, you can still get the phone.
Looked into it. Near as I could tell, choices are a used phone of unknown provenance, in unknown condition and with little or no warranty for what a brand new subsidized phone with warranty would've cost, or a brand new phone for $350-$600 or so--many of them, I was surprised to see, with a "no return" policy. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

It's still an awesome phone. I'm still rocking mine and probably wouldn't have a problem using it for another year or two.
I know it's a rockin' phone. That's why I wanted one. I could get a subsidized one from Sprint, I'd be on board. I can't so I'm not.

Jim

Upvote 0
Yeah, but, remember: The original point was that, at this time, if you want a GSM-capable phone with a SIM card on Sprint, the 4s is it.

Looked into it. Near as I could tell, choices are a used phone of unknown provenance, in unknown condition and with little or no warranty for what a brand new subsidized phone with warranty would've cost, or a brand new phone for $350-$600 or so--many of them, I was surprised to see, with a "no return" policy. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I know it's a rockin' phone. That's why I wanted one. I could get a subsidized one from Sprint, I'd be on board. I can't so I'm not.

Jim

You're welcome

http://www.cowboom.com/product/890538

Cowboom is best buy's pre-owned reseller.

If you want brand new, you can still get it through best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorol...9&st=Motorola photon&cp=1&lp=2&contract_desc=

Upvote 0
You're welcome

Motorola Photon MB855 Sprint 4G Android Smartphone - CowBoom.com

Cowboom is best buy's pre-owned reseller.
See: That's the problem I've been seeing: $162 and "May be missing parts or accessories. May have dents or scratches."

Heh. You read the "Read our product definitions" and it talks about an "A-B-C" rating system, but you check the available inventory and they appear to be rated on a numeric scale. Looks like the right hand's not talking to the left.

If you want brand new, you can still get it through best buy

Motorola - Photon Mobile Phone - Dark Gray/Shadow (Sprint) - MOTOMB855
Am I reading that correctly? I can get a brand new Photon from BB for $30 providing I re-up for two years?

Hmmm...

Jim

Upvote 0
Am I reading that correctly? I can get a brand new Photon from BB for $30 providing I re-up for two years?

Hmmm...

Jim
Yes. I had even seen it still on display at my local best buy. I could've sworn it was dropped to "free" for new accounts and upgrades with 2 year extension, but still decent at 29.99 if ur upgrade eligible.

Upvote 0
This is still the phone that I think would be a "game changer," if Sprint became the first US provider to offer it (I know it would definitely be my first choice):

ASUS PadFone 2 Getting Quad-Core Snapdragon S4? | Pocketnow

With the news/rumors about the Galaxy S4 already looking at a possible February 2013 announcement and March 2013 release, it's making me hesitate a little (Talk about a 5 inch screen makes me wonder if they were able to fit that into almost the same size of the current GS3...if they were, due to the flexible screens, that'd be an awesome phone).

http://phandroid.com/2012/09/17/samsung-galaxy-s4-will-be-unveiled-in-february-at-mwc-2013-launching-globally-in-march-rumor/

Upvote 0
You know as much as I love Samsung devices and the bigger is better concept (no size jokes please) I think they may have gone a tiny bit overboard with the latest rumor that the S4 will be 5 inches.
So does that mean that we can expect the S4 to be 5 inches and the Note 3 to be 5.8-6.0 inches.

TS out (getting some hand growing cream)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
You know as much as I love Samsung devices and the bigger is better concept (no size jokes please) I think they may have gone a tiny bit overboard with the latest rumor that the S4 will be 5 inches.
So does that mean that we can expect the S4 to be 5 inches and the Note 3 to be 5.8-6.0 inches.

TS out (getting some hand growing cream)

Well, realistically speaking, they'd only have to increase the screen size by .2 inches more than the current 4.8. That's diagonally. Quite honestly, I'd love that if it were the same size as the SGS3, but with S-pen integration.

There were already concept leaks of the Note X, that said it'd be 6.3 inches...LOL...Things are getting a 'bit out of hand with the increase in screen size. At that point, unless the overall physical dimensions didn't change (which, I can't see that being possible), I'd hope that Samsung is smart enough to know where to stop.

Samsung Galaxy Note X concept

Upvote 0
This is still the phone that I think would be a "game changer," if Sprint became the first US provider to offer it (I know it would definitely be my first choice):

ASUS PadFone 2 Getting Quad-Core Snapdragon S4? | Pocketnow

With the news/rumors about the Galaxy S4 already looking at a possible February 2013 announcement and March 2013 release, it's making me hesitate a little (Talk about a 5 inch screen makes me wonder if they were able to fit that into almost the same size of the current GS3...if they were, due to the flexible screens, that'd be an awesome phone).

Samsung Galaxy S4 Will Be Unveiled In February At MWC 2013, Launching Globally In March [Rumor]

I would be so interested in a Asus Nexus. As for the GSIV(can't believe we are already talking about this lol), I'm not going to keep my expectations that high this time around.

Upvote 0
Updated rumor/release breakdown:

New Projection/Predictions:
4/22 - Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper
5/15 LTEvo (delayed due to Customs/Apple Injunction)
5/24 LTEvo (Phones finally reaching customers for soft pre-order release at Best Buy w/ Sprint pre-orders and other manufacturers trickling in afterwards)
6/2 - "Official" delayed LTEvo release date as announced by Sprint
6/21- SGS III (delay to 1st weekend of July)
7/1- "Official" delayed SGS III release date as announced by Sprint
7/15 - White LTEvo
8/19 - MoPhoQ (XT897)

9/16 - Samsung Galaxy Victory LTE
Sprint and Samsung officially announce the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE; September 16th for $100

9/21 - iPhone 5
iPhone 5 price, features, release date unveiled, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T LTE supported

10/31 (maybe 9/23 based on FCC filing ???) - LG Eclipse (LS970) - Rumored release date was 10/31, but considering it hit the FCC on August 10, just picking off past timeframes from when FCC filings are reported (took 6 weeks 3 days until Photon Q was formally released), I'm thinking it might come out sooner.
LG Eclipse stops at the FCC on the way to Sprint
Sept./Oct.??? - LG Cayenne (LS860)
LG's LS860 'Cayenne' visits the FCC, flaunts Sprint LTE bands - Engadget
Sept./Oct.??? - Galaxy Note 2
10/14 - ZTE Flash ???
The ZTE Flash has quite the package, heading towards Sprint in Q4?
11/18 - ???

Count of LTE Devices out of 15 Sprint announced they would have by the end of 2012:
7 Officially Released by 9/21
1 (LG Eclipse) Hit FCC on 8/10
1 (Cayenne) Hit FCC on 9/1
1 (ZTE Flash) leaked ad sporting LTE connectivity

1 phone projected for availability on Sprint (SG Note 2)

4 mystery LTE devices remaining.

I was looking at my breakdown of releases and expected releases. If there's really 4 more LTE devices left to be released by the end of the year (to hit the 15 that Sprint mentioned at the beginning of the year) I find it a little interesting that it might line up with the rumored Nexus phones.

LG Optimus Nexus
Sony Xperia Nexus
Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2 (aka Galaxy Premier).

Since the Optimus G (e.g. Eclipse) was last rumored for a 10/31 release, the Optimus Nexus is likely out of the running. The 1st Galaxy Nexus didn't release on Sprint until June this year, so that's probably out as well. Could we see the first Sony phone in ages coming to Sprint, in the form of the Xperia Nexus?

Also, I'd imagine that there'd be 1 Microsoft Windows 8 phone released on Sprint this year that is LTE compatible (whether it's HTC or a different manufacturer remains to be seen, but HTC has stated that they want to step up their efforts on Windows phones HTC, Losing Android Battle, Looks to Windows Phone 8: Report - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com)

So, if I were to guess the remaining 4 LTE devices to be released, my guesses would be the Sony Xperia Nexus, Windows 8 Phone, and maybe the final 2 will be reserved for 2 tablets (HTC View LTE and Note 10.1 LTE)?

Upvote 0
I would be so interested in a Asus Nexus.

That would be ideal!

That's it! The Nexus Padphone. Google already had Asus make the Nexus 7 and has had great success and sales from that device. Why not take the next step and offer the Nexus Padphone...through Sprint w/ LTE!

That would make a HUGE splash for Sprint and Sprint would be offering something none of the other providers would have. Yeah, they'd lose money on being able to charge people the tablet plans, but they'd gain so much momentum if they offered that!

Reactions: Orion and KOLIO
Upvote 0
October looks good for the optimus g

http://phandroid.com/?p=107637

Thing I don't like is seeing no sd card slot, but part of me remembers that the eclipse's early leaks had a removable battery and micro sd slot. If the eclipse was redesigned slightly to account for the micro sd slot, it's truly a contender for me.

I was excited about this phone, until I saw that LG is ruining android with the UI the same as the other manufacturers do, now it's not an option either.

Upvote 0
That would be ideal!

That's it! The Nexus Padphone. Google already had Asus make the Nexus 7 and has had great success and sales from that device. Why not take the next step and offer the Nexus Padphone...through Sprint w/ LTE!

That would make a HUGE splash for Sprint and Sprint would be offering something none of the other providers would have. Yeah, they'd lose money on being able to charge people the tablet plans, but they'd gain so much momentum if they offered that!
That would be awesome! I really love that Padphone concept. If Google would do that for the Nexus line....I would get it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones