• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

If I were seriously considering another upgrade between the One Max and the Note 3, I'd have to see the physical dimensions to truly make a decision between the two.

HTC’s Plus-Sized One Max Is A 6-Inch Phablet Said To Launch In September | TechCrunch

The lack of a microSD slot will always steer me away and I've made that known as a top priority for my needs, but others might not need that and would consider this over the Note 3.

I'm anticipating more and more leaks once we get into August.

Upvote 0
Plus, you have to factor in the S-pen functions. Will the "One Max" carry something like that? If not, it won't compete in my book.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that, but early rumors had suggested that HTC was going to go back to the roots and try to integrate some sort of stylus. Whether it'll have a WACOM digitizer is also an additional question.

Upvote 0
Okay, since the FCC approved both the Softbank and Clearwire transactions, I started thinking about the possibility of what other phones Softbank would ask Sprint to start over here, that none of the providers would have.

Then, I saw this Phandroid article posted a few minutes ago:

Samsung Galaxy Folder Android flip phone in the works?

That article got me thinking about when EarlyMon had posted up a link last year, to Softbank's website, with the multitude of phones that I had never seen in the US before.

Products | SoftBank

So, maybe that Samsung Galaxy flip phone could be a phone that might head over on Sprint, considering Softbank is the new majority owner? I know that it'd definitely be marketed to an older generation and those that have been stuck on their regular flip phones (and have a desire to stick with that form factor). I would definitely purchase that Galaxy Flip phone for my father, as I know that having the physical number pad would make it easy for him to dial people, while I could also keep his contacts maintained easily through Google. That phone would be a win-win situation for my situation (of course, not for my own personal use).

Upvote 0
Like I mentioned in the other thread the powerhouse that is now Sprint Clearwire Softbank, I am sure that SCS will have better availability or clout to get these manufacturers to make devices available for the company to sell to customers.

That phone is cool, brings me back to the Star trek days lol but there is one area that Sprint is lacking of late (at least as shown on their website) that I've noticed and that is offering other devices such as laptops, and more tablets, etc.

Currently on their website all you see are iPad, iPad mini and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

As illustrated in the image below, other than T-Mobile, Sprint doesn't have many in their line up.
CarrierTablets.png

Granted, I know one can use wifi on any tablet, laptop, or plug in a usb data card, but there are times that one needs a connection or are using a device that cannot use a usb datacard. It would be nice to see additional devices. Devices such as the Padphone, ATIVs, Duos, Transformers etc come to mind . I guess until the network is fully upgraded with all the frequencies I won't see more devices that take advantage of the frequencies, but one can dream.

TS

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Like I mentioned in the other thread the powerhouse that is now Sprint Clearwire Softbank, I am sure that SCS will have better availability or clout to get these manufacturers to make devices available for the company to sell to customers.

That phone is cool, brings me back to the Star trek days lol but there is one area that Sprint is lacking of late (at least as shown on their website) that I've noticed and that is offering other devices such as laptops, and more tablets, etc.

Currently on their website all you see are iPad, iPad mini and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

As illustrated in the image below, other than T-Mobile, Sprint doesn't have many in their line up.
CarrierTablets.png

Granted, I know one can use wifi on any tablet, laptop, or plug in a usb data card, but there are times that one needs a connection or are using a device that cannot use a usb datacard. It would be nice to see additional devices. Devices such as the Padphone, ATIVs, Duos, Transformers etc come to mind . I guess until the network is fully upgraded with all the frequencies I won't see more devices that take advantage of the frequencies, but one can dream.

TS

With the new tethering option that Sprint started on the new plans, I could even see them doing away with offering tablets/laptops/netbooks with 3g/4g connectivity. Then again, with Softbank behind them, who knows what can happen now.

While I'd love to see them offering more of items like that, I'd only like to see them if they dramatically change the exclusive plans they have for 3g/4g enabled devices of that nature. Only reason I went with the HTC Flyer (wifi only) vs. the EVO (whatever they called the tablet version w/ 3g/4g wimax) is because the tablet plans were ridiculously high. $29 per month for unlimited tethering vs. $29 per month for limited data was really mind boggling for me. I even explained it to the rep in store and he realized that there wasn't much more he could say that would make it justifiable.

Upvote 0
There he is. Was wondering when you'd stop in. Main thing I am interested in is confirmation of size, especially screen size and overall physical size compared to note 2.

me as well. so far all I have been told is it looks overall no bigger than the note 2 but rhe screen was edge to edge. can't wait to hold them side by side!

Upvote 0
Allegedly conquers one of the biggest problems with smartphones: Their fragility. The Torque is allegedly nearly bulletproof. Saw a review where they tortured-tested one. Put it in water. Dropped it on concrete--multiple times & at multiple angles. Survived it all. Contrast that with the average "smart"phone's physical robustness.

It reviewed well or adequately in other respects, IIRC.

Jim

It's pretty rugged yes...more rugged than any other phone in a good case...no not in my opinion. It can break and it can get wet.

I should get an X to play with eventially and still working on that Note 3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones