• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new Verizon Androids before January?

In light of the recent negative rumors, I thought I would share a post I found on a verizon forum. As always this is still nothing but hearsay but I'm sure we can all use a pick me up.

after speaking to a Verizon insider who has never been wrong in the past. They confirmed that Verizon IS! Getting the HTC PASSION IN Q1! Early would be Jan and the late would be March! I don't know about you but I'm excited to get my hands on this power fun with the Android OS on it! It's about time Verizon got there hands on a great phone!

Link: New Info on HTC PASSION! - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

Upvote 0
okay but...

eris will be getting 2.x update in the near future

8gb is fine with me - why would i need 16 gigs? i can buy that

packs a bit more power? "a bit"?

why do i want more than one g-mail account?

i heard htc's eris has a better touch screen for typing (i dont want to have to use the slider)

and.. to top it off - the moto droid is ugly as sin.

anyone favor the eris over the moto droid? i want to get both perspectives before i make any moves.

thanks.

my wife has the moto droid, i have the htc eris. she loves her phone and i love mine. but she likes mine also because i have 7 home screens, plenty of room to dedicate a home page for what ever, i have one for games only, one for sports one for music one for web browsing and email and sms one for the phone and contacts. and i still have 2 homescreens that i have not started using yet. my wife has 3 homescreens and they are filled up with widgets and she complains about needing more room. i dont need a physical keyboard because i dont text very much. she texts alot and wants the keyboard, other than that both phones are great.

Upvote 0
my wife has the moto droid, i have the htc eris. she loves her phone and i love mine. but she likes mine also because i have 7 home screens, plenty of room to dedicate a home page for what ever, i have one for games only, one for sports one for music one for web browsing and email and sms one for the phone and contacts. and i still have 2 homescreens that i have not started using yet. my wife has 3 homescreens and they are filled up with widgets and she complains about needing more room. i dont need a physical keyboard because i dont text very much. she texts alot and wants the keyboard, other than that both phones are great.

I'm curious to see how the Eris handles its 2.1 upgrade.

Upvote 0
Ok so I spoke to the HTC regional rep and he said that the nexus and passion is the same phone, the nexus is actually made by htc or at least parts are. That will be a gsm phone meaning that verizon will not get the passion. I don't know what the regional verizon president was smoking when he told me over one million units were ordered of an android phone but its not the passion. Now incredible will be a bit different than nexus and passion but HTC rep assured me it really is incredible and its not do out until april 2010!!!

On the bright side eris will have a 2.1 over the air automatic update in the next couple of weeks.

Will keep you guys posted as I hear more

Upvote 0
Ok so I spoke to the HTC regional rep and he said that the nexus and passion is the same phone, the nexus is actually made by htc or at least parts are. That will be a gsm phone meaning that verizon will not get the passion. I don't know what the regional verizon president was smoking when he told me over one million units were ordered of an android phone but its not the passion. Now incredible will be a bit different than nexus and passion but HTC rep assured me it really is incredible and its not do out until april 2010!!!

On the bright side eris will have a 2.1 over the air automatic update in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, I'm not waiting 4 months, and getting the Eris now would screw me on my NE2. F--- Verizon.

Upvote 0
not interested in what motorola has to show for us at CES? i'd be geting the droid tonight too if it wasnt for this news ;\

i also want to know what motorola has planned for it's 'superbowl sunday' commercial, will it be the droid? i personally dont think so if they have two new phones coming out soon and considering how much money it costs to get into a superbowl slot.

Upvote 0
not interested in what motorola has to show for us at CES? i'd be geting the droid tonight too if it wasnt for this news ;\

i also want to know what motorola has planned for it's 'superbowl sunday' commercial, will it be the droid? i personally dont think so if they have two new phones coming out soon and considering how much money it costs to get into a superbowl slot.

Not really. For Verizon, it's either the Devour (vomit) or the Sholes tablet (meh). I'd take the HTC snapdragon phones any day over either one. Is it April yet?

Upvote 0
whats the difference between a tablet (i.e. sholes tablet) vs. something like an iphone or an eris?

and what is an OLED display? how is it different than the droids screen?

what would you guys consider a 'early january' release date for the sholes? i mean, one week after the 6th is about mid january already... could it be released that quick after CES?

Upvote 0
whats the difference between a tablet (i.e. sholes tablet) vs. something like an iphone or an eris?

and what is an OLED display? how is it different than the droids screen?

what would you guys consider a 'early january' release date for the sholes? i mean, one week after the 6th is about mid january already... could it be released that quick after CES?

WVGA (Wide Video Graphics Array)
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)
AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes)
the difference between OLED & AMOLED I really dont know.

difference between WVGA and the OLED screens I dont know how to really explain how each one works but here is what i know. The OLED screens are supposed to use less power when at a normal brightness. if you turn it all the way up it will use more power. It will also have a better contrast ratio with sharper images since it is hundreds of little diodes. ummm lets just take your average LCD or Plasma TV each pixel is connected to it will have some bleed of into the other pixel not really that noticable. where a pixel on and OLED screen is its own diode so each can produce there own color. someone who is maybe smarter than i am please feel free to correct me if i am wrong but that is just what i have heard.

now about them releasing it about a week or so after they anounce it at CES i dont see why not. they anounced the droid and it was out about 2 weeks afterwords so ya

Upvote 0
WVGA (Wide Video Graphics Array)
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)
AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes)
the difference between OLED & AMOLED I really dont know.

difference between WVGA and the OLED screens I dont know how to really explain how each one works but here is what i know. The OLED screens are supposed to use less power when at a normal brightness. if you turn it all the way up it will use more power. It will also have a better contrast ratio with sharper images since it is hundreds of little diodes. ummm lets just take your average LCD or Plasma TV each pixel is connected to it will have some bleed of into the other pixel not really that noticable. where a pixel on and OLED screen is its own diode so each can produce there own color. someone who is maybe smarter than i am please feel free to correct me if i am wrong but that is just what i have heard.

now about them releasing it about a week or so after they anounce it at CES i dont see why not. they anounced the droid and it was out about 2 weeks afterwords so ya

To expand on Shawn's explanation, here's my breakdown on cell phone displays. WVGA is simply the resolution (number of pixels, ie. 854x480). Most everything is typically LCD (Droid and Eris included). OLED is very new to production but has been around in research for awhile now. Samsung has a few recent releases with OLED (Omnia II, Rogue, Behold 2, Moment).

LCD is a matrix of pixels that can allow varying levels of light through. Think of varying how much you open the slats on your blinds to let none/some/all light through. It requires an always-on backlight source and this is why LCDs typically have constant energy use mostly depending on your backlight brightness. It takes little energy to drive the pixels themselves. The downside to LCDs is that they tend to bleed light, especially off-axis (looking at it from an angle). When there's an image, it washes it out somewhat. When there's a black screen, you see it as more grey off-axis. Even dead on, black is lighter than true black. They've improved this quite a bit for TVs, not so much phones.

OLED is also a matrix of pixels but instead of little light filters, they're little light sources that emit varying levels of light depending on the charge applied (Light Emitting Diodes). Because they are their own light source, black is truely black. That means a black screen on an OLED display uses pretty much zero energy (on an LCD this is not the case since the backlight dictates energy use). The problem here is when you drive every pixel at it's max brightness. The energy use tends to be ~4x of LCD (ouch!). Hence a flashlight app (app that drives your screen all white to act as a light source like a flashlight) will kill your battery moreso with OLED. The thing is that real life images don't act this way and on average, OLED tends to save ~25% due to varying intensities across an image. Obviously turning down overall brightness helps as does sticking with themes that use text on black backgrounds. Also, remember that a pixel is made up of 3 subpixels so an all blue screen at max brightness is really just 33% of the energy of a white screen. This is an example that even bright images rich in specific colors aren't necessarily using alot of energy and explains why despite the disparity at full white, OLEDs still tend to save over LCD on average. The upside to OLED, in general, is the crisper images due to the true blacks enhancing contrast. LCD tends to dull images because of the backlight bleed. Also, OLED displays don't require a backlight so they can improve the thinness wherever they're used. However, I got the impression that the Omnia II still had a backlight that worked in tandem to allow more brightness in daylight to prevent washout in sunlight. I might be wrong. I think you can backlight an OLED display, though generally it's not necessary.

Phew! Hope that wasn't too much info.

Upvote 0

So all that stuff about new htc android for sure in Jan is bull ;/ We all know about the Bravo from the leaked brochure that says "April 2010". The hope here was that the u.s. version of the Bravo would come sooner but this is a blog pipe dream.

Verizon: Abandon hope, all ye who enter here

Upvote 0
Ok, I will admit I have been a lurker for more then a month, I believe it is now time to speak.
Assuming that we don't get an "incredible like" phone till April and with 4g coming out in the second half of 2010 (unless something changed) would it make sense to hold off a few more months and get a phone that will handle 4g? Any chance the new phone coming out in April will have the 4g hardware?

Upvote 0
^^ More like .. Verizon: We don't got the best phones on the 3g network, can you stop whining now?

Not exactly. Before the Droid the Hero was the best Android phone out there. Verizon got both the Eris and the Droid. The Storm 2 should be pretty good for blackberries (if only it had been the Storm 1) not to mention another top BB coming soon. Now Verizon is getting both the Palm Pre and Pixi. Heck soon enough they may have the Iphone along with a snapdragon android by april at the latest giving them the top smartphones across the board.

Upvote 0
To expand on Shawn's explanation, here's my breakdown on cell phone displays. WVGA is simply the resolution (number of pixels, ie. 854x480). Most everything is typically LCD (Droid and Eris included). OLED is very new to production but has been around in research for awhile now. Samsung has a few recent releases with OLED (Omnia II, Rogue, Behold 2, Moment).

LCD is a matrix of pixels that can allow varying levels of light through. Think of varying how much you open the slats on your blinds to let none/some/all light through. It requires an always-on backlight source and this is why LCDs typically have constant energy use mostly depending on your backlight brightness. It takes little energy to drive the pixels themselves. The downside to LCDs is that they tend to bleed light, especially off-axis (looking at it from an angle). When there's an image, it washes it out somewhat. When there's a black screen, you see it as more grey off-axis. Even dead on, black is lighter than true black. They've improved this quite a bit for TVs, not so much phones.

OLED is also a matrix of pixels but instead of little light filters, they're little light sources that emit varying levels of light depending on the charge applied (Light Emitting Diodes). Because they are their own light source, black is truely black. That means a black screen on an OLED display uses pretty much zero energy (on an LCD this is not the case since the backlight dictates energy use). The problem here is when you drive every pixel at it's max brightness. The energy use tends to be ~4x of LCD (ouch!). Hence a flashlight app (app that drives your screen all white to act as a light source like a flashlight) will kill your battery moreso with OLED. The thing is that real life images don't act this way and on average, OLED tends to save ~25% due to varying intensities across an image. Obviously turning down overall brightness helps as does sticking with themes that use text on black backgrounds. Also, remember that a pixel is made up of 3 subpixels so an all blue screen at max brightness is really just 33% of the energy of a white screen. This is an example that even bright images rich in specific colors aren't necessarily using alot of energy and explains why despite the disparity at full white, OLEDs still tend to save over LCD on average. The upside to OLED, in general, is the crisper images due to the true blacks enhancing contrast. LCD tends to dull images because of the backlight bleed. Also, OLED displays don't require a backlight so they can improve the thinness wherever they're used. However, I got the impression that the Omnia II still had a backlight that worked in tandem to allow more brightness in daylight to prevent washout in sunlight. I might be wrong. I think you can backlight an OLED display, though generally it's not necessary.

Phew! Hope that was too much info.

Thanks kyler i was thinking the same thing and couldnt really figure out how to explain it and you hit it right on the spot

Upvote 0
Ok, I will admit I have been a lurker for more then a month, I believe it is now time to speak.
Assuming that we don't get an "incredible like" phone till April and with 4g coming out in the second half of 2010 (unless something changed) would it make sense to hold off a few more months and get a phone that will handle 4g? Any chance the new phone coming out in April will have the 4g hardware?

I'm gonna say "no". I'm willing to bet Verizon's first 4G handset isn't released until January 2011. I realize they're making a push to build out their LTE network to 25-30 markets by the end of 2010, but the initial focus is going to be on data cards for laptops. There's a greater need for 12Mbps on a laptop than a cell phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones