• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

any note 3 users not use a case?

jason171

Jul 15, 2010
Hi all,

Just pre-ordered a Note 4 so will be jumping to up to the world of big-screen phones. Will be upgrading from a Razr Maxx (4.3in screen).

I'm curious, do any of you use a Note 3 without a case? I stopped using the case with my Razr and found I liked the experience better. But not sure if the bigger phone will make me more likely to want a case? I typically and in men's slacks all day so have roomy pockets. Appreciate any thoughts :)

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just pre-ordered a Note 4 so will be jumping to up to the world of big-screen phones. Will be upgrading from a Razr Maxx (4.3in screen).

I'm curious, do any of you use a Note 3 without a case? I stopped using the case with my Razr and found I liked the experience better. But not sure if the bigger phone will make me more likely to want a case? I typically and in men's slacks all day so have roomy pockets. Appreciate any thoughts :)

Thanks!

i use a case on my note 3. my case is cool though as it has a cool kickstand so i can prop it up and be able to read or watch videos without having to lean it against something:SEIDIO | SURFACE with Metal Kickstand Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Reactions: jason171
Upvote 0
Ooh kickstand case sounds cool.

yeah i understand going naked with your note 3 as the faux leather look is actually pretty cool. but my very first smartphone was the htc evo 4g which had a kickstand built in.....i really missd that feature and was super stoked to find the seido case with a kickstand.....i love it!!!!!

Upvote 0
yeah i understand going naked with your note 3 as the faux leather look is actually pretty cool. but my very first smartphone was the htc evo 4g which had a kickstand built in.....i really missd that feature and was super stoked to find the seido case with a kickstand.....i love it!!!!!
It's that same phone that kicked off my kick stand obsession. Anyone with the HTC EVO 4G knew they were *all that * cause no other phone at that time [IIRC] had a built-in stand!!!!

There's a pretty neat trick I found somewhere online where you take the back end of the s pen and push it into the pen slot and use the pen as a kickstand. It actually works pretty well in absence of a kickstand case.
Are you talking about in the S-Pen slot? Ever since having a Note phone chances are extremely high I wouldn't know where an ink pen was if my life depended on it. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Used to run completely naked, with only a customized skin on the backcover. That was until I discovered ultra slim cases on ebay that were only .3mm thick

Like this:
100 New Ultra Thin Slim Matt Skin Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000 | eBay

I have a custom skin laid on top of the back cover, with this type of case that I use daily. The one I purchased covered the sides and back, as much as I needed, but has been my favorite type of case (if I use one).

And, if you're interested, they already have them ready for order for the Note 4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-3mm-Slim-...Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item2c8e268fbc

Upvote 0
I too went from a razr maxx to the note 3.

I was case less and screen protector less on my razr and liked it. very sturdy phone lasted well. however I had to buy the note 3 because I broke the razr - epic throw across the living room, banked off the coffee table and tagged a lamp, couldn't replicate that if I wanted to.

so that experience led me to put a case and screen protector on the note 3. UAG for the case - spiegen tempered glass for the screen.

why the screen protector - well on my razr I did notice that I had worn a few spots into the screen.. either dirt and or finger oil etc - after a year plus in - it had some drag spots - that I couldl fix with rubbing compound.

but a screen protector helps with that IMO and is easily replaceable - if buffing it doesn't work.

case - well samsung devices leave me flat on build quality and sturdiness. so having rocked the moto for many devices - I have to say I'm never use a samsung device without a case for any extended period of time.

also honestly as big as my hands are - the UAG case actually helps with holding the device.

Upvote 0
I just replaced my Blasio case with the new Reiko for the note 3. I'm so much happier with the Reiko. It even has an opening in the hard part for the usb port. That's a big improvement over the Reikos I had before that I had to cut a hole in using my dremel tool. My wife's new s4 had to have it cut too.

Upvote 0
Used to run completely naked, with only a customized skin on the backcover. That was until I discovered ultra slim cases on ebay that were only .3mm thick

Like this:
100 New Ultra Thin Slim Matt Skin Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000 | eBay

I have a custom skin laid on top of the back cover, with this type of case that I use daily. The one I purchased covered the sides and back, as much as I needed, but has been my favorite type of case (if I use one).

And, if you're interested, they already have them ready for order for the Note 4

0 3mm Slim Thin Candy Matte Hard Case Skin Cell Phone Cover for Samsung Note 4 | eBay

Ive always had a battle with cases, ill buy one then take it off for a few days then put it back on. What ive found I do is ill put a case on if im going somewhere or doing something I dont normally do, like building something in the garage, go to a party, truck day at work. however I haven't had used a case in a long time on my note 3.

I did however just order two of these cases! my biggest gripe with cases is that I have this thin, sexy phone, then but this big god awful case on it. But those cases look fantastic, did a quick youtube search and seems to be exactly what Im looking for. and for $1.98 for two, one for me and my brother, I thought id give it a try.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Ive always had a battle with cases, ill buy one then take it off for a few days then put it back on. What ive found I do is ill put a case on if im going somewhere or doing something I dont normally do, like building something in the garage, go to a party, truck day at work. however I haven't had used a case in a long time on my note 3.

I did however just order two of these cases! my biggest gripe with cases is that I have this thin, sexy phone, then but this big god awful case on it. But those cases look fantastic, did a quick youtube search and seems to be exactly what Im looking for. and for $1.98 for two, one for me and my brother, I thought id give it a try.

Thanks!

No problem at all and I agree with your thinking completely. I've typically gone with the matte clear or transparent ones. Hard thing is finding one of the soft ones that covers the sides and top, but is also completely transparent. The one I use now is slightly thicker, but I also agree that at .99 each, it doesn't hurt to try the case and if it works perfect for your needs, it's just "meter" money out of your pocket, rather than a couple lunches.

Upvote 0
since I was buying a case for protection purposes - I had not intention of buying some cheap case/skin for it.

why bother IMO. so I bought the UAG. I tired the Sview thing with a Sedio case - didn't like what Sview does to security settings - so

moved to the UAG. has been great for the little bit it adds to the overall dimensions - I honestly can grip the phone easier. and it still easily slides into a pocket.

Upvote 0
since I was buying a case for protection purposes - I had not intention of buying some cheap case/skin for it.

why bother IMO. so I bought the UAG. I tired the Sview thing with a Sedio case - didn't like what Sview does to security settings - so

moved to the UAG. has been great for the little bit it adds to the overall dimensions - I honestly can grip the phone easier. and it still easily slides into a pocket.

Only reason I liked the ultra thin cases was due to it not dramatically increasing the physical feel of the phone. My hands aren't the biggest, but not tiny either, but I typically prefer not using a case. I am actually really careful when it comes to my devices, but I have found in the few instances that I was using an ultra thin / cheap case and the phone slipped out of my pocket, it protected what I needed it to, which was essentially protection from little chips on the frame.

The one thing I definitely swear by now is tempered glass screen protectors. They have been awesome, ever since more companies started manufacturing. The ultra thin version I got from ebay for 7 bucks, served its purpose perfectly when I had accidentally dropped my original note 3, while holding it and, it landed flat on its face. No harm to the screen or protector. And the ultra thin case protected the plastic metal looking frame too.

Upvote 0
I use a Noreve case for work and it comes off as soon as I get home. It never used to, but since I got a wireless charger for it my Note 3 has to be "naked" to use it. I am uber careful with my device and the only other person who is allowed to hold it, ever, is, rather strangely is my six year old (shock, horror. How could I) who watches Angry Birds and lego YouTube vids on it (the annoying Evantube mostly) or plays games on it. I'm always sat next to him, trying desperately not to hover. To be fair to him he does treat my Note 3 with the "reverence" it deserves.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I use a Noreve case for work and it comes off as soon as I get home. It never used to, but since I got a wireless charger for it my Note 3 has to be "naked" to use it. I am uber careful with my device and the only other person who is allowed to hold it, ever, is, rather strangely is my six year old (shock, horror. How could I) who watches Angry Birds and lego YouTube vids on it (the annoying Evantube mostly) or plays games on it. I'm always sat next to him, trying desperately not to hover. To be fair to him he does treat my Note 3 with the "reverence" it deserves.

You just meant that the Note 3 wireless charging won't work with the case, correct? I keep my case on and wireless charging works perfectly.

Upvote 0
Yep, it won't work with it on. The QI charger is the genuine Samsung one. This is my case :

Noreve Tradition Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

That is too bad, but at least you don't mind removing for that purpose. I hadn't thought of how wireless charging will or won't work with thicker cases, simply due to my only using ultra thin. Hopefully, in the future, the 3rd party developers start to think of solutions for that. Wireless charging has become one of my "must have" features, since 6 got the Note 3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones