1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Any Note II user going to buy PEBBLE?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NJRonbo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. NJRonbo

NJRonbo Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2012
    Just curious...

I realize this is a forum devoted to the Note II. However, as a fellow Note II owner in this forum, I am wondering what interest some of you may have in the new Pebble watch that is being introduced. The app was just added to the Play Store this morning.

For me, it looks like a tempting purchase.

What is bothering me is that this is the first of its kind. It's rather primitive, to be honest. I have a strange feeling (if you listen to rumors) that Apple is going to introduce their own watch that will blow this thing out of the water.

Still, I am kind of interested in hearing what you guys think, given the fact that this watch will interact with our Galaxy Note II phones.

Advertisement

2. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    I already own a bunch of cool watches that I like to choose from. That thing you linked to isn't my style. :)

3. twister6

twister6 Android Expert

Jul 30, 2010
    Very interesting concept, sort of like a remote display to view limited number of functions/notifications from your smart phone device. Actually a very interesting concept!!! But at $150 it's kind of pricey, more in Apple category. And speaking of that, I hope they have a patent for it cause I can see already iPod Nano (previous gen) on watch bracelet mimicking its functionality with iPhone :)

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
  5. NJRonbo

None

Aug 25, 2012
    The Martian looks okay, but man is it bulky to the point where it doesn't look attractive on the wrist.

As I said, all this still seems to be in primitive stages but the race for a slim-line smartwatch has definitely started and it will be interesting to see what Apple does, if anything at all.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Fair enough, but for me, when riding the bike, it's not about looks as much as is about:

1. Having visual caller ID
    2. A way to answer/reject calls without touching the phone (or pulling it out of a pocket, which is hard wearing some winter gear, or if it's in a "sweatproof" bag), Martian can do this by shaking the watch
    3. Take a call without having to plug up an ear with an earpiece, making it harder to hear traffic.

As far as interacting with the phone, it seems like the Pebble is kind of plain...as if it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

7. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    I.T. Systems and Networking
    Rochester, NY
    I was going to get the Pebble through their Kickstarter startup but decided to search around and see what was available. I had a Bluetooth watch from Think Geek but all it did was show who was calling and when an email/text arrived. Then I found the Sony SmartWatch and bought it. The pebble has the e-ink display so it can only show black & white on its screen. The SmartWatch not only has a color screen but a lot more features than pebble. I can read my emails and texts, answer or dismiss calls, make calls (comes in very handy in the car when my Note is docked and paired to the vehicles Bluetooth. I just tap "wife" on the watch and it calls my wife. When I'm done with the call I touch the watch again and it disconnects. The apps in the Play Store are amazing! I have an app where I can leave my phone somewhere and walk away and then initiate the camera from my watch and it streams the live video. Comes in handy if you want to see what's going on when you're not in the room/office. I have an app that shows me all the local traffic cameras so I can see if the traffic is bad so I can leave early or not. It has weather apps, games, music controls and fitness apps too. It also has an app so if you misplace your phone you touch the watch and it makes your phone start ringing even if it was set to silent. Comes in handy after letting my 6yr old play angry birds so I can find my phone in the couch cushions... The plastic bands it comes with aren't my style, but it also comes with a silver metal attachment and you can attach any band to it. So I went to a local jewelry store and picked out a nice silver metal band and it looks great. It's also a great conversational tool. Everywhere I go I have people ask me about my watch and I give a little demonstration. With Pebble you see the name or number of the person calling. With SmartWatch you get their caller ID color picture and name.. You can even send pre-defined SMS messages letting your family know you're running late or you can't talk because you're in a meeting. Ok, I'm done ranting. I really just LOVE this watch and can't say enough good things about it. If you want to check it out here is the link. You can also buy it on the Verizon Wireless accessory page.

Features - Sony Smartphones (US)

8. h1r0ll3r

h1r0ll3r Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm all for the latest and greatest techie gadgets however I'm not interested in this thing at all. I'm sure some people could/would benefit from its use however, for me, it would just collect dust in a drawer somewhere. I'm quite fine with using my Note II as is without any headsets or anything like that. That and this thing is a first gen product so I'm sure there will be some issues with this.

9. NJRonbo

None

Aug 25, 2012
    Yeah, and I am sitting here talking about how primitive this technology still is and how Apple might make it better....

But who am I kidding? Is Apple really going to make a smartwatch that is compatible with Android?

10. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    The bigger question is: will Apple ever be able to innovate and not copy, ever again? And if they do, will that reverse their downward spiral on wall street and in the eyes of a seemingly fickle (I don't say "fickle" in a negative sense--to me it indicates that people are finally waking up to the BS that Apple has been foisting on them for so many years with incremental upgrades to what once was a ground-breaking product) consumer market.

11. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

I'll probably look into getting one. The Sony one does have more functionality but I don't like how it looks as much.

12. LegalEagle1

LegalEagle1 Member
    None

Dec 7, 2012
    Male
    Las Vegas
    What an overhyped toy. I'll pass. Reminded me of the tulip hysteria.