• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Other Non-Rooters Holding Back

JohnnyBravo1000

Android Expert
Jun 3, 2010
Luton
Are any other non-rooters holding back slightly when it comes to apps etc?

I'm going to purchase a 16GB or 32GB miniSD card for my Desire, but I'll only be able to store music, pictures etc on it until the update when apps can be saved to the SD.

As a result, I've been holding back with regards to totally pimping out my Desire with apps and bits and bobs.

Anybody else done the same?

Yes and no. I can't be bothered to root this time round. I have installed loads of apps but I uninstall and reinstall regularly. I use Astro File manager to back them up to SD card and the uninstall them. I can reinstall from astro too.

not great for games if you have saved settings, scores etc cause theyre installed as new - but its easier than getting them from the market all the time.

Upvote 0
kinda!

started to root when 1st released then hit a problem and gave up. the promise of froyo prevented me from returning to it. however, i have installed pretty much anything I want without memory issues, but uninstall the piles of 'crap' that I fiind useless, dull, or dont use much. I have an 8gig card, but regularly transfer pics etc onto pc.
so... kinda!

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not the only person who is in limbo, so to speak! :D

How easy is it to back up and re-install apps with Astro?
Really easy. Open astro, menu,tools,app back up...two tabs back up and installed. Tick everything in installed that you want to back up. In the other tab shows all backed up apps with ones that are not installed a different colour. Tick and press install.

It's a must have app without this feature anyway, plus its free

Reactions: incsmiro
Upvote 0
Really easy. Open astro, menu,tools,app back up...two tabs back up and installed. Tick everything in installed that you want to back up. In the other tab shows all backed up apps with ones that are not installed a different colour. Tick and press install.

It's a must have app without this feature anyway, plus its free

Thanks, mate. That all seems easy enough. I assume it's a similar process to get them back onto the phone?

I have to agree, Astro is a great little app.

Upvote 0
Are any other non-rooters holding back slightly when it comes to apps etc?
I didn't want to be stuck in any kind of limbo, so rooting was the very first thing I did after I unpacked my brand-new Desire. But then I've had a Galaxy for about a year, so I'm fairly comfortable with wrangling with the firmware (mumble mumble crummy support I hate Samsung :eek:).

I can't be bothered to root this time round. I have installed loads of apps but I uninstall and reinstall regularly. I use Astro File manager [...] not great for games if you have saved settings, scores etc [...]
I've been using Titanium Backup since forever, or what feels like it. It can (batch) back up and restore not only apps, but also app data (settings) ... but it requires root to do so. Now, since I donated to it, I'm delighted to discover that the batch restore flies right past all of the install screens from the Market. Brilliant. Highly recommended. Did I mention, rooting required? :)

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but does "rooting" the Desire void its warranty?
This is a topic that's rarely documented in the device warranty or the terms from the phone company. IMHO, rooting should not void your warranty as it's not hardware-related; in any case not more so than a firmware upgrade. If you are in need of a warranty replacement, you could always un-root, or maybe the device is in a state where it's not un-findoutable... :rolleyes:

Edit: Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!

Upvote 0
If we start to see some decent games come over to Android, then the issue will be worse. I've hit the storage limit a few times, but I find the majority of the apps so cobbled together I'm not sorry to see the back of them sometimes.

I also had a bizarre SD card malfunction with my old Hero that gimped the entire handset. Since then I've always considered the SD card too flighty as a backup media.

Upvote 0
Have thought about it but see no point at the moment.

From a memory point of view I got a warning today however I trawled through my apps and uninstalled all sorts of crap that I neither really need nor use, such as the Vuvuzela app... it seemed fun at the time!!

Got it down to pretty much everything I need to have the phone running exactly the way I want it although always on the lookout for new apps and such but I have enough space for now.

Upvote 0
Have thought about it but see no point at the moment.

From a memory point of view I got a warning today however I trawled through my apps and uninstalled all sorts of crap that I neither really need nor use, such as the Vuvuzela app... it seemed fun at the time!!

Got it down to pretty much everything I need to have the phone running exactly the way I want it although always on the lookout for new apps and such but I have enough space for now.

This is my attitude at the moment I was about to start a thread along these lines. The apps2sd is really tempting as well as all the extra things you can access but nervous about not being technically capable to cope with any problems. So far I have just been quite tough on some apps eg PhoneTell I was relatively happy but a couple of issues around making answering the phone more difficult combined with lack of internal memory meant it had to go.

If someone can convince me to root and not wait for froyo I may well make the jump.

Upvote 0
As far as I am concerned root your phone and you bugger your warranty I have purchased mine so not taking the chance of course if you are on a contract just hand it over and get another

There are easy ways to unroot your phone back to the standard rom, so you can always just do that if you need to send it back...

I'm going to purchase a 16GB or 32GB miniSD card for my Desire, but I'll only be able to store music, pictures etc on it until the update when apps can be saved to the SD.

Its not exactly what Google are making it out to be at the moment. I'm running Froyo and the amount of apps that can be saved to the sd card using the inbuilt way is near enough zero for me. I'm running apps2sd on my rooted phone and its so much more useful.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of rooting my Desire, but voiding the warranty is putting the brakes on doing so, along with the fact I picked it up in TH and trying to get it repaired due to my "tinkering" will be a nightmare. :eek:

I'm happy to wait for Froyo being released later - I'm not apps crazy, so the SD card that is fitted is going ok and I can pick up a bigger one easily enough to fill with my music when it starts to fill.

Of course, if a million apps that I really need are suddenly released, I might just have to change my mind . . . . . ;)

Upvote 0
Yes.
It also invalidates any insurance you have on the phone too.
I suppose that depends on the insurance. I can't see how, if your phone was lost, stolen or water damaged (for example) how what OS was on it would matter.
..or how they could prove it either way.
Exactly my thoughts. For many issues (obviously including theft and hardware damage), the firmware version or software settings wouldn't be relevant.
Another point: Do your terms and conditions actually specifically prohibit rooting? I would not expect so.

Upvote 0
hey guys new to the forum so sorry if it been answered :)

can it be rooted with 0.80?

Yes it can

14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support - Android @ MoDaCo

and do i have to have a second sd card or can i just use it off 1 i have in there at the moment?

You can use any, but you may need to make it into a gold card. You can do this, but take all your dat off and put it somewhere safe first

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones