1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any phone carriers that let you switch to them AND still keep your phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cookie2, Aug 12, 2012.

1. cookie2

cookie2 Lurker

I have a samsung galaxy prevail and Ive been wondering if theres a way to switch carriers from boost mobile(and which ones can do that).The problem is that the prevail has no sim card,so im not sure how/if switching carriers with that phone is even possible.
    Thanks in advance:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

Boost phones run on Sprint's network so you should be able to switch to Sprint and keep you phone as long as your phone is unlocked. The problem is most phones are locked to a certain carrier so they will only work on that carrier unless you unlock the phone.

3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

the general rule is that if it has a 'prepaid' menu, such as Tracfone, Net10, and Straight Talk, the answer is no. they are locked to that specific company or companies due to proprietary software (airtime balance display and PIN). i think a virgin/Boost will work but only on Sprint...

Unlocking a phone will make it work on (in this case) CDMA carriers other than just Sprint, such as Verizon.

4. timbone

timbone Newbie

Sprint told me it has to be sprint branded

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

While an unlocked phone may technically work on another CDMA carrier, other carriers may refuse to activate anything other than their own branded devices.

6. greeder

greeder Newbie

You are probably SOL if you are wanting to switch over to a major carrier like Sprint or Verizon. But, you could flash the device to work on the Verizon network, then take it over to Page Plus Cellular (check their web site) and activate it with them. They work on the Verizon network.