1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Any point in upgrading radio?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattic, Nov 13, 2010.

1. mattic

mattic Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Hi guys, I have just rooted my Orange (uk) branded Desire and I am still looking around and seeing which Rom to try first.

I am aware that certain roms require at least a certain radio version in order to operator successfully.

I currently have 32.48.00.32U_5.10.05.30 which is the default Froyo Orange radio, and have had no issues with it so far. Save from it maybe taking longer to get a GPS fix, but that might just be me, and I rarely use GPS anyway.

Is there any need for me to upgrade my radio to anything newer, I read that at least 5.09.xx.xx was needed for Froyo, so technically I shouldn't need any higher?

I am currently looking at Modaco's R9, but I am pretty open to suggestions. I mainly just want a near stock rom with Sense, I could even go for a rooted stock to just wet my feet before I venture onto something a little more modified.

Cheers in advance for any input

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    R9 flashes radio anyway

mattic likes this.
  3. mattic

mattic Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Oh really, that is good to know.

So do you think I should just go ahead with R9?

I have rooted with unrevoked. Done a titanium backup, just finished a nandroid backup and just about to backup my SD card to my PC.

Quick question about nandroid backup, if I use it to restore will I be back to the exact point I am now, ie stock Orange rom, but still rooted?

Thanks for you help danfrance, I remember it was you who gave me advice in my other thread.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    yep. Exactly to the point in time when you took the back up. Its a snapshot. Like a PC's ghost image.

If you're going with r9, may as well go with the A2SD+ version. Just partition an ext partition onto your SD card via rom manager (remember to "flash clockwork recovery") after you backed up your sd contents.

it should be 512MB, swap = 0. Then android will see the partition as internal memory and all your apps will automatically install there.

5. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    @Mattic, how did you go about rooting?
    I too have an Orange UK Desire and I building up a plan to root - your experiences would be appreciated.
    After rooting (unrevoked) did your desire still work in the same way as before root?
    What ROM did you end up flashing?
    Did you create a goldcard?

cheers

6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    You must make a gold card on Orange. You don't need It to root, but if you f*ck up, you might not be able to fix it without one

Tags: