• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any problems with Maxx HD reception?

JRuppenthal

Apr 21, 2010
Hi all:
I'm considering the Razr Maxx HD as a new phone, but am a bit weary of getting another Motorola after having owned a Bionic last year. There were lots of issues then with the 4G signal - the phone couldn't keep 4g reception and kept dropping to 3g then 1x and back again. Has Motorola fixed the radio problems since that phone? Anyone having problems with reception? Thanks in advance...

Actually I was never a Motorola person. I actually used to battle Moto Fan boys. But i had to get this for the batt life reason alone. And guess what? Now I'm a fan boy!!!!!

Coming from the Gnex and then the S3 (and multiple HTC devices before those) I can say that everyone was right. Moto has the best radios bar none!!!! I had two dead spots for the last two years with my Samdungs and now my Maxx doesn't even show weak signal (nevermind cut out) in those spots. Plus my house is a dead spot and i need a network extender to use a phone at home. I saw 4G come up on my maxx a bunch of times this weekend. I never saw 3G before this phone. the reception is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
i'm turning mine in for another or a maxx. it hasn't dropped calls because it's newly bought,,,but it takes almost 5 minutes to connect, first showing a message that it cannot find 3g and asking me to switch to lte(when it does connect), and then acting spotty in my apartment where ALL my verizon phones do well with reception.

it is glitchy and i am not comfortable with that.

Upvote 0
I just had it up in northern Minnesota where reception can be dodgy. Went the whole weekend and the Time without signal (within Cell Standby in the battery stats) was at 0% all weekend. In the spring when I had a Nexus, it would run between 20-35% without signal in the same area. This is like all other Moto phones that I've had, top notch radio.

Upvote 0
Solid, even in low 4g signal the downloads are decently fast.

Anyone know the difference in the mobile data settings, GLOBAL vs CDMA/LTE? I was in a very low 4G coverage area where the phone went into 3G, but was able to hang onto a low 4G signal after I changed the mobile data settings to CDMA/LTE instead of the default GLOBAL setting.

Upvote 0
In the office where I work, my DRoid X (Verizon, 3G) would drop in and out of 3G, frequently going to 1G, where it would actually work OK for data like forum browsing (on break times!). In 3G mode it seemed to have 3ish bars of signal but frequently data would stall. In 1G, it would work more consistently albeit more slowly.

The RMHD is usually in 4G mode in this same office and stalls maybe half as often on my forum browsing (sometimes drops to 3G). But it's overall much snappier and a lot less annoying in this fringe reception area.

Upvote 0
I compared it to my wife's iPhone 4S and it was inferior by a few dBm (iPhone 4S has a maintenance mode where it will show signal strength). There were problems in BOTH 3G/4G signal strength AND 802.11 rate selection. So I got a replacement RAZR HD MAXX _today_ and again, compared it to the iPhone 4S. This new one is much worse than the first HD MAXX, especially in 3G/4G, but also in 802.11. This new phone won't even get 4G at my house any more. We are both on the Verizon network. Voice quality was not very high on the original RAZR HD MAXX which suggests sensitivity problems, causing the phone to switch to lower bitrates, which degrades voice quality.

I don't want to live my whole life on 1 or 2 bars of signal strength.

I'm done with this phone.

Reactions: jkmasi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones