• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any reason I should not root?

Well if there is, too late for me. Rooted tonight. I did not appreciate how huge the combination of a Nandroid and Titanium back up would be for me (about 1.3gb), so I need to make more space on my card. Hard to pick which MP3's will go away... sniff.

I did a Nandroid and it is 800mb. Since Titanium will back up all third party apps, that will be about another 500mb (I have a lot of apps). I hope I can move the backups to another drive and transfer them to the card if I need to use them.

Upvote 0
No real negatives to rooting. I would stay away from "unrevoked forever" because there is no way to roll that back right now and if you're concerned about sending back your phone for a replacement or whatnot, they COULD theoretically check if you used s-off. If you just want 720p and to mess around with some FroYo, then root using unrevoked reflash tool, then install the 2.05 radio. Both of these things are able to be removed from your phone if you need to take it off at all.

If you're on a mac, you're in luck because the whole root process is easier because you don't have to deal with drivers

Upvote 0
No real negatives to rooting. I would stay away from "unrevoked forever" because there is no way to roll that back right now and if you're concerned about sending back your phone for a replacement or whatnot, they COULD theoretically check if you used s-off. If you just want 720p and to mess around with some FroYo, then root using unrevoked reflash tool, then install the 2.05 radio. Both of these things are able to be removed from your phone if you need to take it off at all.

If you're on a mac, you're in luck because the whole root process is easier because you don't have to deal with drivers

I thought the Inc needs to be unrooted to install the 2.05 radio?

Upvote 0
The only real concern that many root users have is the fear of bricking their phone. Other than that, I believe you also void your warranty. But overall the benefits definitely outweigh the risks.

If you're cautious with what you install, there is no real risk to bricking besides radio flashing.

Yes, you do void your warranty, but if you roll back all of your changes, then there is nothing to be worried about. Like I said before, everything is reversible besides Unrevoked Forever (and bricking, of course).

Upvote 0
If you're cautious with what you install, there is no real risk to bricking besides radio flashing.

Yes, you do void your warranty, but if you roll back all of your changes, then there is nothing to be worried about. Like I said before, everything is reversible besides Unrevoked Forever (and bricking, of course).

Yeah. And at the time of that post, I didn't know there was a way to roll back all of your changes.

Upvote 0
Well for me its the freedom I get with rooting. I would hate to purchase say a computer and then have to take it to the store because I wanted to install a game, and I couldn't because the store had Administrator Privileges, and I was just a user.

That being said, I do use wifi tether from time to time whenever I am not near a connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones