1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Any reason to root for first time now, or wait until after official OTA is released?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meandmydroid, Sep 25, 2011.

1. meandmydroid

meandmydroid Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Total newbie question...I've seen Sense 3.0 and personally want it...question tho'...I've never rooted anything in my life, so would it be better for me to wait until after the official gingerbread OTA is released and the developers or whoever have the official release to work with to come out with the most current rom to root to...or should I just go ahead and attempt to root now? Thoughts...pros/cons...etc? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. magpullin

magpullin Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    I am a Noob too and I say Root ASAP. I did it a few weeks ago not knowing a thing and it is super easy now with Revolutionary and it will open up a whole new world for you with this phone that you will love to explore and have fun tweaking to your own preferences. Also gets you a better performing phone with all the hard work the developers have done to make the TB better.

3. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Definitely root ASAP. Sometimes when a new patch comes out, it screws up the previous root method and so a few weeks might go by before its cracked again. In this case, I don't think the GB OTA does that, but there's no reason to wait, since all the current GB leaks are being used in ROMs already.

4. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    After you root, the only Hong you'll be thibking is why you didn't do it sooner.
    1 simple reason is you won't get free hotspot tether with OTA. Or how about backing up your app data.

5. Roush

Roush Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    I rooted last week, and loving it! I would suggest just watching the 10 minute video all the way through, then getting the files you'll need before you even decide to start. That way if and when you do, you'll have everything you need, and the process will go just that much smoother.