1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Any reviews on this phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by K-Rizzle, Nov 1, 2010.

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Android Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    I have less than a month to decide if I want to keep my Sanyo Zio or trade it for this phone. NONE of the sprint stores around me have live phones, I called the mall and even they don't have this one live.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this one, is it laggy?

The zio is a little laggy, mainly when loading the home screen coming from certain apps or sometimes from sleep mode. Especially the widgets.

I can live with it, but if the optimus S is faster I might exchange the zio for it.

Advertisement

2. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    No-one I guess...

3. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Chicagoland Area
    I am also interested in this phone. I read that it would be released on 10/31. Unfortunately I don't believe the phone has been released yet. I went to a couple of Sprint stores on Sunday and called a few others none of them had it. They said they were expecting to get it but did not know when it would be coming in...:(

4. Matt_H

Matt_H Newbie

Dec 3, 2009
    This is the only review I've found:
    Review: LG Optimus S : Is It Your Type? (Phone Scoop)

I am somewhat interested in this phone. It is light, not too large like a lot of the higher-end phones, has stock Android 2.2, and is touch-screen only. It's also cheap. I currently have the Moment, but it's EOL and won't be getting 2.2. Depending on the price, I may buy this without a contract and wait to lock in to a contract until Sprint has something better.

5. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    I can't find this darn phone anywhere! :(

6. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Chicagoland Area
    I read on another site that the release date has been pushed out to Sunday 11/7/10.:mad:

7. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    Well by a default on best buy's part, I ended up getting the evo...for $150.00 :)

8. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Chicagoland Area
    Good for you!!! EVO is a nice phone. I stopped by a Sprint store on my way home from work and they finally had the phone....I was in a hurry so I'll have to go back tonight or tomorrow to play around with it.:)

9. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Android Enthusiast

May 20, 2010
    @DeniseJ was right, November 7 is the official release date.
    Sprint

10. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Android Enthusiast

May 20, 2010
  11. bfready

bfready Member

Nov 5, 2010
    To my surprise, this phone was available at a Radioshack near where I live. I still can not see it on the Sprint website, so I don't know if they released it early or what.

I like the phone a lot. I had a rooted TMobile G1 and the experience with this phone compared to the G1 is so much better. The menus and web browser do not skip while scrolling. I was able to downloaded and play Angry Birds, which played perfect. That was only the first few levels though, so I don't know how it will perform on the higher levels with more blocks and stuff to knock down. Oh! I can actually type without it bogging down and missing letters that I press, so that's a BIG PLUS! My G1 would do that and I've seen original MyTouch 3g owners curse the on screen keyboard because of this problem. I downloaded Quandrant and scored 423 (faster than original moto droid).

I traded in my G1 for 38 dollars at Radioshack (probably could have gotten more for it on Craigslist but it was so convenient I did it), so I paid 12 dollars for it.

I don't know about the battery life yet, but I haven't seen an android phone yet that gets good battery life, so we'll see.

I do have one BIG gripe. It seems this is for all Android phones. If I am wrong, so one PLEASE let me know how. There is no way to proxy a wifi connection. This means, no work wifi! AHH!! I thought this was address in 2.1 or 2.2. Guess I was wrong..

12. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    Well damn, I was too impatient and went ahead with the Evo, which I am loving, but I do hate the damn $10.00 a month fee. Thankfully I got a discount for being a AAA member so I am still saving $ even with the fee, but instead of 16 bucks, I'm only saving $6.

I also got the Evo for $150.00 because BB screwed up with my refund and had no choice but to price match Sears.com. lol.

13. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    What do you mean pricematch Sears.com? Does Sears sell the Evo?

14. K-Rizzle

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
  15. AndroidSPCS

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Wow didn't even know Sear's sold phones. Thanks for the info!

16. telemike

telemike Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Seas.com = Wirefly = Simplexity

17. AndroidSPCS

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Cool. Didn't know that.

Also, Shootme app works without root on this phone, just like it does on Evo. :)

18. PhxDroid

PhxDroid Newbie

May 23, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I picked up the Optimus today for my daughter for her birthday. I have spent the past couple of hours with it and initially, my opinion is it is a GREAT phone. My wife and I have EVO's, so the only adjustment for me is the screen size and screen quality, but i find the quality actually quite good. I like it is not loaded down with tons of bloat ware.

I am having some trouble trying to load Flash 10.1, and have to look into that a little, but the speed, responsiveness off the touch screen, loading of apps, 3g, all seem to be excellent.

I loaded the hacked skype and place several 3g skype to skype calls, excellent.

I loaded Tango (optimaus has no front camera), but the sound quality and video quality was excellent (over 3g).

My two cents is it is a solid, solid phone and excellent value.

19. telemike

telemike Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I don't think this phone can do Flash 10.1

20. jen8112

jen8112 Android Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2009
    Seacoast, NH
    Any comments on battery life?

21. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Battery life was good. I was able to get through a whole day with moderate use.

22. mdpirello

mdpirello Newbie

Nov 11, 2010
    i have this phone and i love it. i have had it since it came out. i downloaded an antenna widget and found out that it has a real hot reciever on it and it also doesnt go into roam where i live like my Palm Pre or Blackberrys that i have owned. i have owned a hero or shall you call it a zero because it froze up more than it worked. this optimus is the best thing that i have had in a long time. the voice activated dialing works good even through a bluethooth and voice texting works well.

23. AndroidSPCS

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    The GPS on this phone rocks. It works as well as the Evo's GPS, better than the Epic's GPS. I can get GPS lock inside my house.