• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any ROM compatible with Pandora?

I read this thread thinking my streaming music was fine, but I have to agree that the sound via the AUX input through car speakers does sound "tinny" compared to how I remember it pre-root. To be honest, I thought this was due to using the cassette adapter rather than the 2.2 ROM (Kangerade 4.0.7) but thanks to this thread, I'm curious to see if a resolution comes along.

For the record, I don't think the link in randallman's post addresses this issue. I don't think Pandora streams AAC files, and the bug report is for a N1 anyway.

Upvote 0
I read this thread thinking my streaming music was fine, but I have to agree that the sound via the AUX input through car speakers does sound "tinny" compared to how I remember it pre-root. To be honest, I thought this was due to using the cassette adapter rather than the 2.2 ROM (Kangerade 4.0.7) but thanks to this thread, I'm curious to see if a resolution comes along.

For the record, I don't think the link in randallman's post addresses this issue. I don't think Pandora streams AAC files, and the bug report is for a N1 anyway.
Too bad you are wrong.
Pandora DOES stream AAC+, (I mean really, read the bug report).
And the bug report is for FROYO, has been verified on multiple builds of the OS. This is a bug in Android 2.2, not an issue with any one phone.

Upvote 0
This is annoying me too since I use Pandora on a daily basis :'( (on the plus side, last.fm seems to sound find. whew.)

Can't some root ROM maker find this bug and fix it? :p
Or maybe simply port over the aac+ decoding stuff over from 2.1?

side note: how do you 'fully wipe' before installing a rom?

Upvote 0
To everyone experiencing this issue, I strongly urge you to write an email to Pandora's support team asking them to look into it.

The email address, from their site, is pandora-support@pandora.com .

Maybe if enough of us write to them about it, they will look into it? I just sent them an email.
C'mon guys, strength in numbers! :)
OMG ARG.
This is not something pandora can fix! READ THE THREAD.

Upvote 0
I have the same exact issue... Not sure why a wipe data/cache would help since I already had to do that to go from 2.1 OTA to 2.1 rooted... And then from 2.1 rooted to 2.2 FRF84B...

Also, I noticed that the 'Is the headphone plugged in' detection for at least pandora doesn't work anymore... it keeps playing through when the headphones are removed.

Its almost like there's some EQ settings that were in the default 2.0/2.1 OTAs that are not in the FRF84Bclean?

The bug of sound keeps playing when you remove headphones for me was when I had Kangarade installed. Once i moved to bb v.4 it went back to normal

Reactions: randallman
Upvote 0
The bug of sound keeps playing when you remove headphones for me was when I had Kangarade installed. Once i moved to bb v.4 it went back to normal

Yeah but on BB0.4, I cant run the chevy1 1.0 LV kernel that I run with FRF84b... It locks from time to time :( I have to decide if BB0.4 w/ the stock BB0.4 kernel (800mhz?) is > than FRF84b w/ the 1.0 LV kernel.

--Randall

Upvote 0
I sent in a support email and got a response that they are looking into the issue. The odd thing was that when I got in my car and powered up Pandora it appears that the issue is mute now. The thing that sucks is before I could go all day long and not hear a single Pandora commercial. Now I get commercials like a person would normally

Upvote 0
I emailed Pandora and got a response back! The response said that Froyo "has only been certified for a small number of phone models" and asks me which phone I have. But since I'm not using a "certified" Froyo OS I'm not sure they will be willing/able to help :\

Does anyone know if Nexus One Froyo users have this issue too?

Upvote 0
Hello,

me and some follow users of the android app have been experiencing issues with the program after getting the android 2.2 OS. I would highly recommend an update. The issue that we are hearing is flat sounding music. Almost no bass and the music is inconsistant across the whole board.

Michael

The response that I got was

"Josh @ Pandora Support" <josh@pandora.com> to pandora-support@pandora.com
11:03am

Hi,

Sorry about that. We're aware of this issue and we're working on it. Thanks so much for your patience in the meantime!

Best Regards,

Josh
Pandora Listener Support

More questions about Pandora? Please check our FAQ: Pandora FAQ

I never said that I was using the DROID or any device that was not natively supportive for 2.2

Upvote 0
I see no reason why it would suddenly start being awesome again... o_O
Maybe it sounds better on certain songs?

No idea, I tinker with pretty much every device I own (not good at writing from scratch but manipulate whats there) so maybe something I did got everything to fall in line. All my quality is back up on 3G and Wifi when originally it sounded flat.

Havent wiped since I flashed the rom so thats not it. May have deleted pandora and reinstalled since it did an auto app restore when I was setting the phone up.

I do remember hearing one audio ad, but do not know if that was before or after the audio improved.

Upvote 0
Could someone port over the Android 2.1 AAC+ decoder into a Froyo ROM for the time being? I don't want to go back to 2.1 but this is really bad :(

Don't think that would help. I have had this issue ever since I rooted and loaded a custom ROM, well before 2.1. It might have been 2.1 that I first noticed, but either way....the problem existed in 2.1 as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones