• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any ROM compatible with Pandora?

Are we waiting for an Android update, or a Pandora update?

I might give the stagefright fix posted above a try today.

It's not a Pandora issue. The poor sound quality exists with all streaming music services...Pandora, Slacker, Rhapsody, etc.

The issue is within Froyo. We're all waiting for either Google or our dev community to fix.

Let us know how the stagefright fix goes...

Upvote 0
What exactly is stagefright? What does it do?
You got me... I read the same thread as you, and all I know is setting "media.stagefright.enable-http=true" to "false" in the system/build.prop file seems to fix the problem. It sounds like there might be some minor side effects, but mostly good results... might be worth a try until this is fixed permanently.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Read cvpcs' android myths page. It gives a pretty good explanation:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/143591-android-myths-great-read.html

Though it is a good read regarding source based ROMs vs. leak based ROMs and a reasonable explanation of memory usage (though Help! Linux ate my RAM! is better at that), there's really nothing on that post nor the blog/wiki to which it refers that clears up what stagefright is, why its enabled, why it breaks AAC+, or anything else even remotely related to audio quality on Froyo :)

Sorry :) No offense meant and perhaps I just have poor reading comprehension :)

EDIT: nevermind, It was my reading comprehension failure - regarding the synthetic benchmark #'s from disabling stagefright - "prior to re-enabling stagefright, the phone ran just as fast as after in the general case"

--Randall

Upvote 0
Did FRG22 fix this? One commenter in that google code page said he is experiencing better audio quality..

Don't know. Although given the number of very recent negative comments on the Google site, I wouldn't bet on it.

Sapphire 1.0 has the stagefright disabled so that streaming will work correctly. It cause a few other minor issue, but seems to be the best option right now....

releases:sapphire-1.0.0 [CVPCS Sapphire Wiki]

stagefright is a new audio codex. It has problems. When you disable it, the older Codex takes over...

FRG22 (the official 2.2 'update' that comes out next week to replace the one that came out this week) FIXES the issue - not sure if they made the same simple change in disabling stagefright or not, but Pandora has full sound in my car again.

w00t!

Upvote 0
FRG22 (the official 2.2 'update' that comes out next week to replace the one that came out this week) FIXES the issue - not sure if they made the same simple change in disabling stagefright or not, but Pandora has full sound in my car again.

w00t!

I have the FRG22 on my droid from the link in the how to root from 2.2 above. It still have poor sound quality with my droid. Where did you get your ROM from?

Upvote 0
I wasn't planning on joining in here since my response to this issue in another thread caused an OT rant :eek:, but since this is the appropriate thread for it....

I'm running p3droid's frg22 from: MyDroidWorld At It Again: Exclusive new Droid OS Release - FRG22 Fastest ROM Yet Absolutely zero problems with audio quality when streaming Pandora (or using the AAC+ and eAAC+ test files from the google code issue page linked earlier).

When I first installed it the google voice search wasn't working, so I downloaded again and reinstalled and it had been fixed (or it just didn't install well originally). Whether or not that was the only fix, I don't know. I was lazy and didn't wipe but that shouldn't make any difference. I went from basically stock rooted 2.1 to 2.2.

Usually, if it's an audio decoding problem, the music is obviously and painfully wrong. I'm baffled why my Droid has no issue when so many others do, but there you have it. Did more testing last night, and I'm absolutely unable to recreate the issue. If you're just hearing flat sound, equalization and virtual sound fields can minimize it, but it should still be obviously different from a file without the issue.

Maybe I should check to see if stagefright is enabled.. any quick way to do that?

Upvote 0
Maybe I should check to see if stagefright is enabled.. any quick way to do that?

Open Astro and go to the root dir then /system than long press prop.build file. Select open as then text edit. Scroll down.

If you see

media.stagefright.enable-player=false

or

media.stagefirght.enble-http=false

There is some discussion as to which modification is better.....

P.S. I figured out you can edit the file with Root Explorer....

Reactions: MahoVader
Upvote 0
Open Astro and go to the root dir then /system than long press prop.build file. Select open as then text edit. Scroll down.

If you see

media.stagefright.enable-player=false

or

media.stagefirght.enble-http=false

Yep, that's it. I remembered it was somewhere easy! :p Thanks, sranger.

Welp... my stagefright is enabled. No idea why, but I just don't have the issue.

There is some discussion as to which modification is better.....

P.S. I figured out you can edit the file with Root Explorer....

Yep, that's it. I figured it was someplace easy but hadn't started digging yet. Thanks, sranger :)

Welp... my stagefright is enabled. There you have it. No idea why my phone doesn't present the issue, but everything works as expected. I read all the google code issue page and retried the test files again since so many are having the problem. I guess I'll just consider myself lucky and hope the issue gets resolved quickly for those that are affected.

Professional musician here (among other things), so if I get a chance, I'll try to drop by one of the studios I work with and run it on their equipment. The problem as described ought to immediately jump out on anything but the Droid's own speakers though. Can't recreate it here.

Upvote 0
Yep, that's it. I figured it was someplace easy but hadn't started digging yet. Thanks, sranger :)

Welp... my stagefright is enabled. There you have it. No idea why my phone doesn't present the issue, but everything works as expected. I read all the google code issue page and retried the test files again since so many are having the problem. I guess I'll just consider myself lucky and hope the issue gets resolved quickly for those that are affected.

Professional musician here (among other things), so if I get a chance, I'll try to drop by one of the studios I work with and run it on their equipment. The problem as described ought to immediately jump out on anything but the Droid's own speakers though. Can't recreate it here.

I am glad you are not having the problem. When stagefright is on everything still works, but mine makes Pandora sound "metalic" or "thin". As soon as I turn it off and re-boot it sounds fine....

I also noticed that with it enabled it will stop playing when it is interrupted, ( like getting a call ), but it does not re-start after the call. With it off, it re-starts like it used to....

Upvote 0
I have the FRG22 on my droid from the link in the how to root from 2.2 above. It still have poor sound quality with my droid. Where did you get your ROM from?

I'd get your DROID checked out then. I did not have the issue that many people had with Pandora, but I do notice that with FRG22 the music in Pandora sounds like the equalizere has been turned topsy turvy. Previously my music sounded bass heavy, not it sounds full range again, but it has never sounded tinny to me, and sound reproduction has been what I can expect from DROID --> BT --> Motorola T505 --> FM --> my car stereo.

Still being an audiophile, and being able to detect smaller variations than most people can, I can say I was in the same boat as Maho - it just never happened with my phone.

And stagefright was enabled thoroughly on my previous Pete's BB 0.4 build.

I wasn't planning on joining in here since my response to this issue in another thread caused an OT rant :eek:, but since this is the appropriate thread for it....

I'm running p3droid's frg22 from: MyDroidWorld At It Again: Exclusive new Droid OS Release - FRG22 Fastest ROM Yet Absolutely zero problems with audio quality when streaming Pandora (or using the AAC+ and eAAC+ test files from the google code issue page linked earlier).

When I first installed it the google voice search wasn't working, so I downloaded again and reinstalled and it had been fixed (or it just didn't install well originally). Whether or not that was the only fix, I don't know. I was lazy and didn't wipe but that shouldn't make any difference. I went from basically stock rooted 2.1 to 2.2.

Usually, if it's an audio decoding problem, the music is obviously and painfully wrong. I'm baffled why my Droid has no issue when so many others do, but there you have it. Did more testing last night, and I'm absolutely unable to recreate the issue. If you're just hearing flat sound, equalization and virtual sound fields can minimize it, but it should still be obviously different from a file without the issue.

It could be other things involved as well. Since you're not running a stock FroYo ROM, you cannot rule out all of the intricacies of being rooted / overclocked / custom ROMs.

I was running BB 0.4 and I also had no issues - I just chalked it up to me having a good phone :D

I am glad you are not having the problem. When stagefright is on everything still works, but mine makes Pandora sound "metalic" or "thin". As soon as I turn it off and re-boot it sounds fine....

I also noticed that with it enabled it will stop playing when it is interrupted, ( like getting a call ), but it does not re-start after the call. With it off, it re-starts like it used to....

Now, *that* I did notice. I turned it off and Pandora restarts like normal - didn't link the two together though, thanks for the kick in the captain obvious head of mine....

did everyone make sure they went into the pandora setting and switched the cell network quality to high?

I did this and the music never sounded better

We all already have this = this has nothing to do with that.

Upvote 0
I just received the following e-mail from Google/Android concerning the problem we're having with streaming music. Could someone help me decipher it:

Updates: Status: FutureRelease

Comment #140 on issue 9308 by romannu...@google.com: eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2)
Issue 9308 - android - eaac+ and aac+ decoding sound quality problems (Android 2.2) - Project Hosting on Google Code

A fix for this bug is in the froyo branch:

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/frameworks/base.git/commit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones