• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any solution for adhoc wifi for Galaxy S 4.4.2?

peterh337

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2015
Google have disabled adhoc wifi in the O/S. It can be enabled with various obscure methods, the simplest being possibly the Cyanogen custom firmware.

Alternatively and much more simply, my tablet is rooted so I should be able to drop in a patched wpa_supplicant, but none appear to exist for 4.4.2.

Samsung have disabled all tethering options (in the UK product, for sure). No bluetooth tethering is available.

I need to connect to Joikuspot on my Nokia 808 phone (adhoc wifi with WEP). This is because I have 1000MB/month "for free". The tablet doesn't have a 3G radio inside and even if it did I don't want to pay for and manage yet another SIM account. Joikuspot works with everything else: windows, IOS, etc.

I've spent a number of days trying different solutions found on google... nothing works. The varios "adhoc enable" apps don't work.

Does anybody know of any way that actually works on 4.4.2?

One way I would be happy to try would be a USB WIFI stick; one which connects to adhoc wifi. Does the USB OTG functionality on the S tablet support any wifi USB product? I know the Host Mode does work to some extent because the OTG cable can be used with USB flash sticks, and I can even get a virtual COM port (ttyUSB0 in /dev) using a Prolific 2303HX cable.

Thank you in advance for any solutions!

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones