• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any successor to HTC Evo soon?

jsm374

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
I've had an HTC G1 for almost a year now (using it unlocked on AT&T), but I'm seriously thinking of getting the HTC Evo or some of the other new Android phones. I did try the phone in a Sprint store, they only had the one on display, none in stock :(, and I really like the HTC Evo, it's very responsive and has some nice features: easy to root, custom roms, front facing camera, HDMI out. But I also hear some things that are not as good as the competition: camera quality is lower, screen is not that great in the sun and battery life is a little short.

So do we know about some other phones coming out soon that would be similar, but improve some of this stuff. I just don't want to switch carriers, start a new contract and then have a great phone coming out 2 months later and me drowning in buyers remorse :(

Motoral phones are pretty much out of question because they hard to put custom roms on them, and that's very important to me. I'm not sure about Samsung phones either, and how open are they with their drivers and stuff.

So anyone has any advice?

If guess your choice is between the EVO and one of the Galaxy S phones. If you really care about custom roms then I would go EVO since it has a lot of support on XDA. BTW where did you read that the screen is not good in sunlight, the screen is excellent in sunlight. Also the battery life is not that bad and the camera is pretty good.

Upvote 0
The Evo will stand up in a fight with anything for probably a year. Obviously, newer phones are gonna have newer features and better specs, but the Evo is an absolute workhorse. And with the front facing camera and 4G capabilities, it's "future proofed". The internet speeds will be capable of handling whatever new data intensive apps/features that come out, and the front facing camera is there once a better video chat app comes out.

Don't rely too much on things that you "hear". Battery life has been a non-issue for me, the screen is just as good in the sun as any other phone I've used (how often will you be wanting to use your phone while standing in direct sunlight anyways?), and the camera is good, not the BEST, but still good.

Upvote 0
But I also hear some things that are not as good as the competition: camera quality is lower, screen is not that great in the sun and battery life is a little short.

Camera quality is lower... Are you referring to video or stills? The camera hardware is above average, and despite my gripes about unnecessarily using an 8megapixel sensor for a cell phone camera, it takes decent photos for what it is. Video at 720p is choppy due to a codec choice (limits it to around 25fps). All other video resolutions that the phone offers takes very smooth video.

It can be hard to see the screen if you are in full sun and you don't place the phone in your own shadow. That said, I've never had a phone that was bright enough to overpower the sun. This is not an Evo-specific disadvantage.

Battery life is short as configured out of the box. When you tune it to your needs, you will get decent battery life. And since you plan on rooting your phone, you will have other battery-saving tools at your disposal. No rooted Evo user complains about quick battery drain anymore. For what you are doing with your phone, battery drain can be expected for certain applications, and it would not be any better on any other phone.

Considering the Evo shortage, there is still a very high demand for this phone. I don't think you'd be "outdated" if you were to get one now. The hardware base is broad: decent processor, 4G radio-ready, large screen, HDMI, wifi hotspot, BT pairing (with HID devices on custom roms), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the Evo remains popular as the rooted Android phone of choice for many years to come.

Upvote 0
Thanks for advice, it's pretty encouraging, now I just need to find a phone :)
The best buy near me has 4 of them in stock, but they are all the white phones - not really white, it's half white, half black - no wonder they are still in stock. I might buy the bullet and get one of those though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for advice, it's pretty encouraging, now I just need to find a phone :)
The best buy near me has 4 of them in stock, but they are all the white phones - not really white, it's half white, half black - no wonder they are still in stock. I might buy the bullet and get one of those though.

LOLOLOL, that was a good one.

I agree, the white ones aren't pretty at all.

Upvote 0
Evo is a great phone and will be very capable well into the future. I consider it's limits only when HTC & Sprint stop selling and supporting it and when it's not capable enough to handle new apps and Android upgrades.

Pick one up and know that you'll be fine at least for the length of a contract, and likely at least 3-4 years. By then, surely you'll want another phone that will have some other mind-blowing technology and performance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones