1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Any suggestions of good apps to optimize Galaxy Ace performance

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TrisTan5267, Apr 2, 2011.

1. TrisTan5267

TrisTan5267 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Philippines
    Guys, can you suggest good application to optimize the Samsung Galaxy Ace performance. And to answer the problems such as: how to prolong the battery life of Galaxy Ace, how to extend and install more applications and games, how to make it still fast and responsive. At least 10 guys. Thanks! :D

Advertisement

2. sludde

sludde Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    The first thing I would do, would be to replace the standard Samsung Touchwiz interface with a different launcher. There are several options here, and I can't really speak for all of them, but I've heard that GO Launcher uses the least resources of them all, thus making it very smooth. I've tried it myself and it is indeed smooth and quite cool.
    Personally I use LauncherPro, and am really happy with that. Makes my phone seem a lot snappier than if I were to use Touchwiz that comes with the phone.
    Other people swear by ADW Launcher EX, which I personally haven't tried yet. (I tried the free version, and while it seems good, I just prefer LauncherPro for some reason, although I believe ADW offers a bit more customization, if that's what you're after)
    Then there's also Zeam Launcher, Helix Launcher, PandaHome and I think I saw a Windows Phone 7 style Launcher too. There's probably more than that, but just search the Android Market for "Launcher" and you should find plenty.

As far as battery life is concerned, I don't really know. I use something called Auto Memory Manager. I just started it, set it to aggressive and left it there. It's supposed to close programs in terms of how much memory they use, so not sure it's as effective as a normal task manager, but I've also heard that we're not really supposed to use those? Someone else would have to confirm that, though.
    All I can say is that for my own use, it seems that battery life is sufficient, yet I don't have any numbers to show yet. Also it does seem a bit better after using Auto Memory Manager, but I've only had the phone for a few days, so can't give rock solid conclusions here.

As for Applications and Games, all you need is a memory card (the phone comes with a 2GB mem card) and just try to avoid installing too many Apps that can only be stored on the Phone memory. You'll probably want/need SOME of those, but just get the "Apps 2 SD" application from the Market so you can see if you have something that can be moved to your SD card (although my phone seems to always automatically install everything to the SD, which is quite handy :))

So, in conclusion :

1. Replace the standard homescreen with a Launcher from the Market
    2. Get some kind of Memory manager or Task manager

(although if you long press the Home button, your phone has its own Task manager, which should probably be sufficient as I've heard that those Auto Task Managers are bad? Some say they're good, some say they're bad, I dunno what to think really)

And that's pretty much it, I'd say.
    The rest is pretty much about trying different things and see what works for you, as there are only so many things we can answer for you.

Hope this was helpful in at least some kind of way :)

3. TrisTan5267

TrisTan5267 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Philippines
    Thank you so much sir. This is really a big help for me. By what do you mean by the launcher? What does it change? Is it safe? Oh! I see. Just searched it in the market. Launcher is also somewhat similar to themes. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong. And how does it affect the performance? How would I know if the application that I'm going to install will install in the sd or in the phone. I'm going to buy this as soon I got to the mall. Just to know some of my questions. By the way, how can I install applications via my computer? Can you give me steps? If it's okay with you. First, I will plug my Galaxy Ace using the usb to the computer. Second, I will go to the android market website. Third, I will click install and it will automatically install or is there something else I have to do? Please correct me. Thanks!

P.S

You are very kind for answering Sir. And I appreciate it so much. Seen from you're efforts of typing long. :) Hope we could be friends and help each other out here.

4. sludde

sludde Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    Hehe no worries, glad to be of help.

A launcher is simply just a home screen replacement, and it's basically just what you will see when you turn your phone on. It's just a way to be able to customize the look of your phone, and you can indeed apply themes to these launchers (at least some of them). The way it affects performance is simply just that they are optimized to use less resources and run better, but to be perfectly honest I don't know much about it myself. Some are better than others, so you will have to try them all to see which one you like best. As an example, I am using LauncherPro even though I KNOW that GO Launcher uses less resources (and therefore probably is smoother and/or faster?) but because I personally prefer LauncherPro, I stick with that. Each to their own, so just give them all a try.

About the SD card, my phone automatically installs every App to the SD card, but some programs refuse to do this, and automatically end up on the phone, but by downloading an App called "APP 2 SD" from the Market, you can have full control of which Apps are located where. (Although like I said, some Apps will end up on your phone no matter what you do, so until all Apps are updated to support being moved to SD card, you'll have to live with that)

I do not know of any way to install Apps from your PC, but there's probably a way...however why would you need to? If you don't have access to WiFi I supposed this is why you want to install Apps via PC. There probably is a way, although I do not know how.

5. TrisTan5267

TrisTan5267 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Philippines
    Thanks man. Great help for me. Well, I don't have wifi at home so I have to install via pc. That's why I am looking for an answer on how to install applications via pc from the market. You haven't tried installing via pc? Your way of installing is through wifi. Right?

6. sludde

sludde Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    Yes.

7. TrisTan5267

TrisTan5267 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Philippines
    Still no answer for me dude. Sigh! Can't find any procedure to install apps via pc.

8. sludde

sludde Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2010
    I answered Yes to me using WiFi, I already told you before that I unfortunately don't know of any way to install Apps via PC.
    Hopefully someone will add something :)

9. TrisTan5267

TrisTan5267 Member
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Philippines
    Just bought my Samsung Galaxy Ace. Can you teach me a few things? How to change the threaded view to folder view in messaging? How to change the ringtone in to your personalized sound? Please help! Thanks.

10. incubus_cheah

incubus_cheah Lurker
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi i recently got my galaxy ace and i have installed whats app messenger.. But the problem is i cant seems to go offline at it... i went over to the running services under the applications tab at settings and click stop service but my frens still say seeing me as online.. Which means i am online forever... Does anyone noe how to go offline in samsung galaxy ace? pls inform me.. thanks!

11. sumeetbais

sumeetbais Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Hey,

What I do to install files from my pc is to save the .apk file on my memory card,then use the default "my file" app to locate the file on memory card and install. Bang!!

Hope this helps!!

Cheers!!

Best Regards,
    Sumeet Bais

12. Darkwizard999

Darkwizard999 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Dude connect your ace with pc via cable. click on connect to pc on your phone. Download applications through google (apk file)or go to 4shared.com where you get android apps. Download them, transfer to your phone. install. Goto manage applications in settings and move them to your sd card. Hope this helps you.

13. Darkwizard999

Darkwizard999 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    logging of in messenger is not complicated. there are 3 buttons on ace. Options button on left, select in the middle and back on right. When you are logged in through messenger you get a page, after chatting with your friends come back to same page and press the options button (on left) of your phone. You get option of log out over there. Done.

14. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Sales
    Hampshire, UK
    Have a look at Chismays guide (its a sticky at the top of the forum) it will show you the best way to free up space etc. Also stay away from task killers. Let android manage its memory in the most efficient way. (as it was designed to do) many task killers kill apps which are not in the memory - merely cached. In killing these when they are called for one reason or another they will take longer to load into memory and use more CPU which will actually use more battery and slow things down more than if you left alone!

Dont use the program control widget to check available memory, look in settings menu, applications and then running services. a press of the menu button will show you what is running and what is cached. the bottom will show you how much memory you have free.

All the launchers go, adw etc actually run alongside the touchwiz launcher, not instead of and use up more resources. Although some of them are great.