1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any suggestions on managing traffic conditions in developing countries?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by simplivllc, Feb 14, 2019 at 1:38 AM.

1. simplivllc

simplivllc Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2018
    It is wonderful to keep hearing about innovations to automobile technology. Alternative fuels, driverless cars...they sound fantastic. But as a person residing in India, where the cities are chaotic, to put it mildly, I'm curious about what technologies could be of use in easing our driving conditions. Roads with potholes, lane indiscipline, and unbearable peak hour rush are just some of the problems we drivers face in our daily lives, just like in most other developing countries. It is certain that it is only technology that can come to our aid because proper planning was never invested into our cities, many of which are exploding. Road discipline is almost unknown.

I am wondering if driverless cars are the solution. I am not sure how long it will take to implement this fully and what AI should go into these technologies to help the cars distinguish between oncoming traffic and stray dogs and cows, not to speak of people who cross the roads at will

Our government has initiated the Smart Cities plan, but it is going to take a lot of time to implement. Handling traffic conditions is just one of the issues with this project. So, we have a big, ongoing problem on our hands. Can members on this forum suggest technologies that could ease our conditions?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Driverless cars won't have a chance if you just turn them lose in a chaotic scrum. Maybe if you ban human-controlled vehicles at the same time, but otherwise you'll need to sort out the road environment before they will be usable.

So personally I think that it's the other way round: this isn't a problem that technology will fix.

Dannydet likes this.