• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any teething problems so far?

Only had the phone a few day's exchanged from a Blackberry, couldn't get on with the keyboard with my big didgets!!

Only issues so far after one evenings playing (had to wait for the micro sim to arrive) are

1. Opening a couple of apps to just check them out, pressing the back button it seems to freeze, tried pressing the home button but frozen too, did a quick lock-unlock on the phone, it goes back to the original frozen screen but you can use the back/home buttons

2. When back to the home screen it seems to have a bit of a fit, it jumps to the five screen layout and back to the home screen a couple of times then settles down.

When i say the five screen layout i mean when you pinch the home screen it shows the five screens together.

Paul.

I had the same issue, my home screen would have fits and jump between the 5 screen layout and back again several times randomly.

It began after I downloaded TweetCaster from the Play Store. I uninstalled the app and it has not happened since!!

Not sure what that was about

Upvote 0
HTC One S owner as of about 12 hours ago (and MONTHS of waiting since MWC).

We all know the pros, but here are the issues I have so far, which may or may not be easily resolved over the coming days:

• Swype
    I had swype on my HTC Desire, but can't install it on my HOS due to a screen size limitation. Other devices seem to also be getting this issue. Hopefully it's being addressed in a new version, because I'm afraid ICS's swipe version just doesn't cut it...
  • Menu button
    A lot of applications haven't yet properly integrated the menu button, so it ends up taking a lot of real estate with its own bar at the bottom of the screen. Less than ideal. Most notable on this "get your shit together" list is my UI of choice, Launcher Pro. :(
  • No physical keys, no trackball
    I know Android phones have been moving away from physical keys and trackballs for two years, but I miss them. They were so well-executed on the HTC Desire - felt sturdy, quality - and I could rest my fingers on them. I feel like I have less grip on this phone because of that, but again... it's only been 12 hours. I'm struggling with text-editing without swype and my trackball.

Anyone agree/disagree? (Anyone else come from a Desire?)

I too moved from the Desire to the One S and desperately miss the trackball. Text-editing is a nightmare!!!! Using my finger on the screen is inaccurate and I have to try several times to place the cursor exactly where I want it. The directional pointers only show up on my email application.

Other than that I love the phone!

Upvote 0
I too moved from the Desire to the One S and desperately miss the trackball. Text-editing is a nightmare!!!! Using my finger on the screen is inaccurate and I have to try several times to place the cursor exactly where I want it. The directional pointers only show up on my email application.

Other than that I love the phone!

Tap roughly where you want the cursor then a green 'handle' appears which can then be dragged around and it shows a little magnified window showing where the cursor is.

Reactions: Zuri1
Upvote 0
Darn it, the replacement black one from Amazon started chipping off paint at the start of last week so I contacted Amazon, more in hope than anything else as it was more than 30 days since purchase. Not a problem they said and two days later a brand new one arrived before I'd even sent the faulty one back. Amazing. Better service than from flippin' HTC whom I'd emailed abou the paint coming off at the same time only to get some obviously automated email back from "Kevin" the HTC robot.
So, I'm going to sell the black one on eBay and get a sim-free grey one online in the next few days, I looked at the Galaxy S3 in CPW but it's just too big...

Upvote 0
There are a couple of problems I have with this phone after owning it for one week. First of all, it says that the storage is 16 GB, but I the total is only 12.14 GB and only 9.93 GB of that can be accessed through USB. I understand the formatted size is less, but I would expect at least 14 GB. Secondly, it says that this phone has 1 GB of RAM, but in the task manager there is only ever 680 MB that can actually be used. What happened to my other 344 MB? Don't get me wrong, I like this phone, I just don't feel I got what I paid for.

Upvote 0
There's lots to love about this phone. I moved to it from a legend - quite a jump up.

Good points:

Silky smooth to use - loads of processing grunt in there!

Very attractive handset. iPhone owning friends have taken note ;) It's lovely to hold too.

Great screen and camera.

25gb dropbox account free for 2 years - I have been making lots of use of this. The phone is set to upload all video and photos automatically. Then I have access immediately from any PC without faffing around.

Bad points:

Battery life was fairly awful (appx. 10-12 hrs of normal use) until i started I changed everything to black. Black desktop, black skin for sms app (installed GoSMS because the stock app has no colour options), inverted colour browsing, green on black for e-reading! Now I get about 36 hours out of it ;)

Home screen jumping problem - extremely annoying. HTC need to fix this asap. Mine also takes random screenshots while it's having a fit, which it then helpfully uploads to dropbox.

Random restarts. The legend was prone to this as well. Fairly irritating, but doesn't happen often enough to be a big issue, so far.

This phone could be outstanding. As it is, the issues are serious enough that I'd probably not recommend it to a friend, unless HTC can sort the issues, particularly the jumpy homescreen bug. SO ANNOYING!

Also, the lock/power button placement takes some getting used to.

I'm thinking of taking the handset back for a replacement to see if it's any better.

Oh yeah, swype lovers should check out slideIT. Same deal, works on any handset without issues.

Upvote 0
I came from a Legend, so I too miss the trackball and the dedicated menu button. However, I am glad to have gone with the One S, with its aluminum unibody design. I've already dropped it twice with no case, and there are no scratches; only a small flattened point on the corner where it hit the ground hard indoor flooring. My Legend, also of a unibody design, also survived many drops. Hopefully, I won't be the one testing how it survives a faceplant or dropping on gravel.

The one issue that caused me to exchange it was call quality - there was a lot of static heard on my side. My new unit doesn't have the problem.

Other than that, it's worked quite well for me so far, and I can quite easily get 2 days of use on a single battery charge (using mostly wifi, and making the occasional voice call).

Upvote 0
Pahahahahaha!! My 2 week old HTC One S looks more chipped than my 2 year old HTC Desire. Still an awesome phone, but the claims HTC made about the coating were ridiculous...

"HTC has always put the consumer at the centre of everything we do..."

"more durable, more premium finish..."

"... aircraft 6,000 series aluminum, 10,000 volts of energy... almost like lightning striking the phone..."

"... it's not a coating, it's a treatment to the metal..."

"... doesn't need a case..."

"Does your phone really need the same technology used by NASA for satellites?"

Our initial assessment of your device indicates that the repair work required is caused by damage that isn’t covered by warranty. Unfortunately, this means we must charge you for the repair.

We have prepared a quote for you which you can view, accept and pay for at...

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to the One S (previous handset was a Desire Z). One thing I've noticed, which is rather frustrating, is that the quality of the FM Radio is poor. The volume drops significantly when it has lower reception strength, but this is something that my Desire Z never did.

I use the FM Radio functionality a lot and I'm really upset that this is the one aspect that has let me down. Have others experienced this fault/issue?

I'm considering returning it and getting the S3 instead.

Thoughts welcomed!

Thanks

Upvote 0
The rear bottom and top parts of my HTC One S have started to make clicking sounds when I barely touch them

Really annoying :mad:

I'm going to the Fido store where I bought it this weekend and see what they can do

Oh and something I should have thought about before buying it is the fact that the power button is on top, and with the volume button being on the right, it's not very convenient (at least for me)

Other than that, super phone

Upvote 0
Hi guys,I am new to this forum and don't really how to post questions so i think i'll just use this way to ask you few questions.
I have bought the HTC ONE S from Craiglist and now my phone keep saying NO SIGNAL
SERVICE LIMITED EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY,I have brought the phone to t-mobile store and they couldn't done anything then i called HTC and they told me to send the phone in for repairs. I have thought that maybe the phone was block or lost or report stolen but they told the phone could still work even its report lost or stolen..
What do you think i should do guys,Any helps please?

Upvote 0
The problem that a couple of you have mentioned with the phone flitting between the home screen and the helicopter view is becoming increasingly widespread.

I have had two phones with the problem (managed to get the first one replaced). Takes a few weeks to manifest then gets worse and worse.

Google 'HTC ONE S HOME SCREEN BUTTON PROBLEM' to get details. On XDA someone has started a spreadsheet of affected users, as HTC are refusing to acknowledge that there's a problem and are offering no support. If you're affected, get your details on there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones