• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Time is Grillin Time

Meeting friends at the cabin tomorrow. I can't get down there until noon or so which will limit my options for smoking something. I'll likely grill some steaks or something. Nothing is calling out to me just yet. I'll give the butcher a chance to impress me with something. It's supposed to be perfect weather tomorrow. Should prove to be a great day to be on the deck.

Upvote 0
I ended up grilling some thick cut pork chops last night. Seasoned with just a hint of seasoned salt and plenty coarse ground pepper. My wife cooked up a huge pot of fresh cut green beans and new potatoes with some bacon pieces tossed in the pot for seasoning. With a couple of loaves of fresh baked french bread we called that a meal. Before we went to bed we had some sliced strawberries chilled in their juices with some sugar served over shortcakes. I ate way too much but sure enjoyed it. The weather was PERFECT. Way too nice to be in the cabin. We hung out on the deck all day and built a fire in the pit once the sun went down. A stellar weekend!

Upvote 0
G3ajjPf.jpg

Upvote 0
Not that I'm smoking pork butt this weekend though I might. My wife scored some nice looking pork butts on sale Monday. I'm now officially stocked up on pork butt.

View attachment 154173
I have been meaning to smoke a couple of butts for the past few weekends because I have about 60 lbs. in the freezer for the same reason. They occasionally go on sale for $0.89 / lb and I can't resist. I can have my FIL make them into sausages or porchettas or just freeze them for future smoking into pulled pork.

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
WOW!!!!!!!

I HAVE NOT SEEN THOSE OFFERED AT MY COSTCO!!!!!!!
I would have jumped at those as well. How did those turn out?
They turned out on someones plate but not mine. I've not seen Wagyu at my Costco either.
I grabbed the pic off of the net. Sure would be fun to try some though.

Upvote 0
My hot water tank project took much of my day. The new models available were larger in diameter and I feared there would not be room to install between the wall and the gas supply that is routed through the floor. The new tank just barely fit in the space and I was on my way to Costco by four PM. Late Saturday afternoon is not a stellar time to shop Costco's meat department. They were sold out of ribeye caps and they were even out of ground beef. I did buy a package of fresh caught cod and put the cook on that for dinner. Tomorrow I'll smoke up some pork blade steaks. They sound good but not ribeye cap good.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
My plan was cast iron grilled chicken parm while camping this weekend. Let's just say, an appendectomy, and two baseball double headers an hour and a half away from the campground put the kibosh on that. We had burgers and pizza, and I'm cooking the chicken parm on the range and in the oven tonight. Oh well, still go good feed.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I ran by Costco on my way home from work yesterday. I needed some supplies for my hearing aids and hoped once again that I might score some ribeye cap steak. The butchers were gone for the day and I did not find any cap steaks in their counter. I asked the employee stocking the coolers if they were sold out again. His reply alarmed me. He said he has been working at Costco for a few months and he didn't recall ever seeing the cut. I'm now concerned that they have stopped cutting the steak. I'll know more when and if I can get up there when the meat cutters are at work.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Found some Australian Wagyu steaks. Not cheap but not as expensive as Japanese A5 either.

They are currently coated with coarse sea salt awaiting a blazing hot grill in about 90-120 minutes.
View attachment 153948

These turned out well despite being a bit overgrilled l(well-done :oops:). Tender as can be regardless.

Upvote 0
just grilled some opah that i saw at costco. if you do not know what opah is.....its a ocean fish that looks kind of like a sun fish (they might be related.....not sure though)

here is a picture:
opah.jpg

it was fantastic. its kind of a more mild version of tuna. i made two dishes tonight. i grilled and smoke some fillets. and the leftover i made poke out of it.

i must say that adding some wood to the grill to give the fish some smoke to it, really made it stand out. it was not to smokey that you can't taste the fish.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones