1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any Time is Grillin Time

Discussion in 'Food and Beverage' started by olbriar, May 28, 2012.

1. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Small world but I would not want to paint it :) Oddly enough, the guy that came up with that recipe is my wife's cousin's son-in-law. And what is more odd than that... I have yet to try one. I first saw the recipe in a family Christmas letter lol. The guy's business took off after the notoriety of that creation. You KNOW that would have to plug an artery or two.
    But oh how it looks good!

3. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    It's one of these, though an older model-

Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker - Walmart.com

It works fine, once it's fitted with larger smoker box (x2) and a larger water pan. The biggest drawback is that the water pan that comes with the unit is too small. Besides needing to constantly fill it, it causes the edges of the cooking area to get very hot. it's also a bit of a chore to move items around inside which is necessary due to the aforementioned hot spots and the temp differential between the top and bottom shelf's. I used it for several years with good results. Since replacing it with a "real" offset smoker Trailmaster Limited Edition (855-6305-S) | Brinkmann , it's used as an outdoor stove, warmer and occasionally put back into service as a smoker. It's very easy to maintain temp, but you still have to watch the water and use wood chips, so it's no easier to use than the coal/wood fired unit.

olbriar likes this.
  4. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I've seen those but never stopped and gave them a serious look. If I ever graduate from my Traeger, I like the looks of your offset smoker. Sweet!
    The real deal IS the real deal.

5. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    My cooking for the masses worked out well. The people supplying the meat purchased precooked pulled pork instead of doing burgers and dogs.
    It wasn't completely cooked.. was in chunks. I cooked the pork down in foil roasters... keeping the grill around 250 and doing some beer and bbq sauce. I spiced the tubs up some with honey and a drop of DaBomb hot sauce. Turned out real good. When I pulled the pork I did a few burgers and dogs for the kiddies.
    Breakfast I went the easy route and made breakfast burritos. Browned my potatoes first.. then my sausage and bells.. then added my egg mixture and added back my potatoes when done. Grilled the tortillas on the grill for a few then filled with burrito mix and shredded cheese.. wrapped each in foil and turned the grill down as low as it would go. It was smelling good enough that by the time they were ready to serve, most everyone was up and about.

How did all of your smoking turn out? I bet if the fire department showed, they were looking for the plates and napkins :)

pastafarian likes this.
  6. pastafarian

None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    No fire dept, but the BBQ was a smashing success. Worked my butt ;) off, but it's a labor of love. A lot of people had the meat sweats last night! My only regrets were that I should have made 4X the slaw and 8x (+/) the beans. Both disappeared in an instant. The pulled pork didn't last much longer either. It's very gratifying (and hilarious) when you have several people approach you with barbecue sauce smeared all over their face telling you that was the best meal they ever had. Personally, I tasted everything during prep and had one end rib but had no time for anything else. Everyone was complaining about being stuffed at party's end, I was hungry.......and happy!

Epicurean and olbriar like this.
  7. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Fantastic! You don't mind being hungry when the crowd is stuffed and happy. I bet that did work you pretty hard. I lucked out and my weekend was a breeze. My only problem was the heat and an unfamiliar grill. The grill was a cheapie three burner Uniflame with a side burner.
    It hung right in there and exceeded expectations for a cheap grill.
    I'm sure I'd be singing a different song if I had tried to cook 200 burgers on it. I would have no problem recommending the grill for the occasional bbq guy on his patio. It's around the $150 range and performed well. It had very thin porcelain grates and stamped orifices. It did have a temp gage on the hood and individual battery powered ignition. All in all it was a lot of grill for a cheap one.

8. Epicurean

Epicurean Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Programmer
    Maryland
    Did chwhatever's Shrimp Kabobs on Saturday - a smash hit! (marinaded for 4 hrs, btw). So the question of the day is:

Do you peel the shrimp before marinading or after cooking?

I like to cook with the shells on so they don't dry out. But its a bit of a mess to peel while you're eating.

9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    So was raining yesterday, but had been promising the kids smores all weekend, so I pulled out my miniature grill (10" round), and put it out on the front covered porch. :D showed them the various ways to roast a marshmellow. Of course their favorite was the "flaming" method ;)

10. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    Today's dinner from the grill...........Carne Asada.

11. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I did mine peeled. Just for the ease of eating mostly. That and I figured they would take the marinade better cleaned and shelled. I don't know what the given method is however.

12. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    I always peel them first ,makes things just easier. But whatever you like, no wrong way!!

13. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    There is no wrong way. Lol!

14. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Dismember
    None

Maybe it's the primate in me, but I enjoy food you have to pick apart. Crab, shrimp, artichokes.

Makes you slow down and enjoy it more.

15. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Dismember
    None

That's it! I'm definitely having BBQ shrimp tonight for dinner. Dang that's three hours away.

16. Epicurean

None

Sep 1, 2010
    Programmer
    Maryland
    Agreed on all points. After we briefly debated the subject when I served them up (I was the only one in the peel/before camp), nobody complained and tore right into 'em!

17. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I'm a big fan of tearing into my meal and never slowing down. But, the above got me to thinking. I love lobster and crab legs. My wife is even a bigger fan of both. Soooo.. I had to search the net and sure enough... lots of recipes to smoke both. I've got to try smoking some. Has anyone tried smoking crab legs or lobster?

18. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    No I have never tried that, but man that sounds pretty good. sounds like the next thing to try though!

19. pastafarian

None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    Grilling? Yes! Smoking? No. I'm not sure that smoke is appropriate for something with such delicate flavor. Certainly, I would treat it like a delicate fish and cold smoke it on the stove top rather than in the pit. I've grilled lobster on several occasions....easy (split and grill hot) and good as long as you avoid over cooking. I've grilled whole softshell crab, but never just legs. Should work as well as lobster, but you'll probably have to lick the shell to get any grill flavor.

Granite1 likes this.
  20. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've enjoyed cold smoked crab. My buddy has a smoker grill with the separate fire box. Does the low temp smoking like no other. He did a bushel of Maryland bay crab in that sucker, my god ! Natural smoke flavor mixed with old bay seasoning. Dynamite!

At least I thought so....

21. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    The pellet recipes I'm seeing call for oak or hickory. They are basically steamed on the smoker with butter/lemon/garlic. There can't be that much smoke taste but the author of the recipe I'm looking at eludes to a gentle smoke enhancement. I can live with that lol. It has to beat steaming them inside this time of year!

22. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On
    None

Mar 4, 2012
    Male
    Master Technician
    south central fla
    you can still steam them outside on grill too. and smoking them is what i think ill try?

23. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We used straight up split cherry from my back yard, a little bit of oak and mesquite, did the job nicely.

It wans't the same as smoking a ham or anything, it was more of a subtle smoke. We steamed em first and just did the smoke out for flavor. Worked beautifully.

I will tell you, if we didn't have the extra cash to throw at this venture, I'd have done em the traditional way and be done with it. It really was an expensive experiment that fortunately did turn out well.

Last time I looked a bushel of bay crabs was creepin near $150!

24. Epicurean

None

Sep 1, 2010
    Programmer
    Maryland
    Anybody tried grilled crabcakes? We're doing crabcakes on Friday but it's gonna be 104 here so broiling in the oven is out (20 year old A/C can't take it). So I volunteered to grill 'em outside. I was thinking of trying the cedar planks trick but may be too smokey?

25. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Ouch! Fresh seafood is always expensive in Kansas. I think it's our lack of a decent sea port. :eek:

Luckily, when I do crab legs there are only two to feed. I have never tried grilling crab.. sure haven't tried smoking. I'm really excited to give them a try.