1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any Time is Grillin Time

Discussion in 'Food and Beverage' started by olbriar, May 28, 2012.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I smoke at 180 for 3 hours, bag 'em with honey, brown sugar, and apple juice at 225 for two hours, the unwrap them and brush on BBQ sauce for an hour also at 225. All on a pellet smoker,

Advertisement

olbriar and ocnbrze like this.
  2. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Farmer's markets are pretty common around here. I do live in a fairly small city and can be in the country five miles in any direction from my home. There are two large stands in town. Both have a great array of produce of all kinds with plenty of stock. Smaller stands here and there on the major roads out of town have less to offer and are often out of this or that. It's fun to buy from the guy that grew the stuff and it's always better than what is sold in the stores.

My baby backs turned out super! The best I've ever smoked. It must have been the ribs were stellar for I"ve cooked them similarly with lesser results. Not that they were bad... but these were over the top! I smoke with a pellet smoker like Unforgiven. The above racks were smoked at 225° the entire cook. Three hours bone down with no spritz... just rubbed. Wrapped and turned meat down for 2.5 hours then two hours glazed with meat up. Glazed with honey and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Unforgiven

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I wonder if the larger (newer) grill has less temperature variation.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    'Green Mountain grills are very good about holding a temp. My Traeger will temp drift twenty five degrees each way from the setting.
    The GM might vary one degree once in a great while. They are amazing in that respect. I was expecting a bit more pellet consumption with the larger area but not a noticeable amount if any. The GM burns a lot less pellets per smoke than the Traeger. I think it's because the Traeger gets below temp and then stokes the fire and gets above temp over and over.... at least that's the way of mine. The Traeger produces more smoke for the very same reason I'm guessing. I've not noticed a lack of smoke in my meat with the GM but visually it doesn't smoke like my Traeger.

I think my ribs were just one of those things where the stars aligned. :) Perhaps a better rib than I've bought in the past... who knows. They were super good though.

ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  5. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I have my weekend smokes planned. Tomorrow I'm smoking some beef flank steaks. I'm still looking for eggplant. Sunday I'm smoking out some beef ribs. I have some fresh jalapenos my sister gave me. I'm thinking about making some hot baked beans to go with them.

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    whats the difference in cook time for beef ribs vs pork ribs. i have always cooked pork ribs. they just seem more tender. but i guess if you long cook the beef ribs they would be just as tender as the pork ribs....maybe just cook them longer?

i think the beef ribs i have cooked in the past have been tough and hard to eat....guessing they were just not cooked long enough.

Unforgiven likes this.
  7. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    °I cook my low and slow. I keep them at 225° the entire cook. When they reach the 155° - 160° mark I wrap them and place them meat down and let them baste in their own juices. I pull them at the 195-200 mark and let them rest in a hot box for an hour or so to relax. Nothing tough about a beef short rib.
    They are melt in your mouth tender and juicy. A big thanks to @Unforgiven for turning me onto them.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    It's a real fatty piece of meat so you need to render all that out. I don't bother with food temps when I smoke them. I do beef ribs at 225 for ten hours.

olbriar and ocnbrze like this.
  9. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I smoked my flank steaks today. I just finished devouring the delicious tender steak actually. They are my go to wonderful especially when I have a short smoke window. They easily cook in four hours. I went everywhere today looking for eggplant with zero luck. I couldn't even find it in the grocery store. I gave up and cooked zucchini slices instead. Peeled and sliced and placed in a shallow pan with a bit of salt, pepper, and butter saw the slices become tender in forty five minutes. Not eggplant but was tasty and something different.

ocnbrze likes this.