1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any Time is Grillin Time

Discussion in 'Food and Beverage' started by olbriar, May 28, 2012.

1. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    oh man it was the best. i brined it with a combination of salt, soy sauce, brown sugar, and black peppercorns. i did this overnight.

the next morning, Thanksgiving Day, i took it out of the brine and let it dry for a few hours while i cook the sides. on the menu was sweet potato au gratin, creamed broccoli and wild mushrooms, squaw bread stuffing and a fennel salad. once the turkey was drying off i also put the coals on the grill. i laid down some vegetables in a sheet pan and used that as my pan dripping underneath the grill right below where the bird will go. placed the bird on the grill and cooked it til the meat thermo read 160 F....about 2 hours with the grill temp around 450 F.

it turned out perfect. it was one of my juiciest birds i have ever cooked. i could not have planned it any better.

i kept all of the bones and gizzards, once the meat was carved away.....so today i used them to make the best turkey stew i have ever made. i added the bones and such to a large pot to brown. i took them out and added some diced onions and carrots and let them sweat a little. i added the bones back to the pot along with some chicken stock and water just enough to cover the bones. the the stock i also added a few sprigs of sage, thyme and bay leaf. i let that cook and reduce for two hours. i then took the bones and herbs out and strained the carrots and onions. i pulled all of the meat that was left on the bones and added them back to the pot along with the now reduced broth. i added chunks of carrots, onions, cauliflower, and potatoes along with the turkey meat. i cooked that until the veggies were soft.

......so damn good!!!!!!!

Advertisement

lunatic59, olbriar and Unforgiven like this.
  2. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    That all sounds so wonderful. I didn't have turkey over the holiday so you have made me extra hungry for the dish!

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    My nephew has been blowing up my phone all weekend. First he was shopping, then he was putting it together, and now planning his first smoke. He bought a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Prime for $599 while they were on sale. I'm excited to have another smoker in the family. :)
    [​IMG]
    I told him he couldn't go wrong with either a Traeger or a GM smoker. I walked him through putting his purchase together. Now I'm trying to convince him to just cook something. :) Google is his best friend for ideas and guidelines. He's in for some real fun.

Unforgiven and lunatic59 like this.
  4. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I was home from work by noon today. The weather was exceptional so I put a chuck roast on the smoker. I may have to eat late but it sure looks like it will be worth waiting for. It's five o'clock now and I'm closing in on wrap temp. Boiled potatoes for mashing and some peas and sweet basil will complete the meal. The leftovers will likely be a vegetable soup but burritos or fajitas sound pretty good.
    Chuck Roast.jpg

lunatic59, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Just looking at the bright red color on the edges tells me that will be delicious. Nice one.

ocnbrze and olbriar like this.
  6. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    It was a last minute decision to smoke something. I found that at Wally World and it was on sale. I just put it in the hot box to relax an hour or so. I cooked it a bit faster than normal so I hope it's not tough. I rarely find that nice of cut without going to my meat market and paying a couple of dollars more per pound. But their chucks are always good and worth the price. I hope I lucked out today. I bought the best looking roast they had.

ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Has anybody tried grilled turkey?

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yep

olbriar likes this.
  9. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    So no butter involved?

10. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    nope. it turned out fantastic. all i used was just salt , pepper, and herbs (sage and thyme). i did rub olive oil first so that the s&p and herbs would stick better.

olbriar likes this.
  11. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Today I plan to smoke and then grill some boneless skinless chicken thighs wrapped in peppered bacon. I'll place my prepared chicken in a shallow pan so I can pour off most of the bacon grease before grilling. Smoking temp 225° and grilling temp 450°. It's an easy cook that always tastes great.

My nephew smoked a brisket packer for his maiden cook on his new GM Daniel Boone Prime smoker. Having never smoked anything before, he was either brave or naive to start with such a tricky cut. He followed a low and slow recipe from the net and he said his results were astounding. A fifteen hour cook produced tender slices from the flat and succulent burnt ends from the point. I'm glad it turned out for him. I think I grilled some burgers for my first cook. :)

He called me early in his cook because he was experiencing huge temperature fluctuation and thought it abnormal. GM smokers are rock steady at holding a given temp so I had him check the two possible physical problems I could think of and then suggested he call the GM service line. They had him update his firmware and update his iPhone OS. Between the two updates the problem was resolved and his new smoker worked flawlessly the rest of his cook.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.