1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any Time is Grillin Time

Discussion in 'Food and Beverage' started by olbriar, May 28, 2012.

1. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Outstanding recovery! I doubt you lost much flavor.. perhaps a bit of bark. It's been my observation that once meat reaches the 140 mark or so, there isn't much additional smoke added. One could easily finish the cook from that point in a conventional oven. Ramping up the temp to 350 and it still turning out tender is surprising to me. Good to know info.

My son has taken to doing a long cook with his pork butt lately. More pellet consumption with added bark being the reward. A much longer cook without the wrap but it is his preferred cook now.

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I wasn't completely shoting blind, I learned that from a book I read when I first started smoking. Same place I learned about FTC (foil, towel, cooler) to keep the meat hot for hours.
    Yeah, if you have the time, the pellets, and don't mind a 15 hour cook, it's definitely the way to go.

olbriar likes this.
  3. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

I found the flank steaks marked down a bit so I bought a couple today. Not a rip roaring bargain but man I'm hungry for them. I'm not doing any rub, I'll oil them up with some avocado oil and season with coarse salt and pepper. I'll keep them wet with some apple juice and worchestershire spritz and wrap them when they reach 160° or so. 195° is my target temp to put them in the hot box for an hour or so rest. I'm past ready to eat some flatiron steaks.

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Maybe I don't know what a smoker is
    [​IMG]
    Is this one?

ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

It's an honest to dog shack.
    [​IMG]

ocnbrze, olbriar and Unforgiven like this.
  6. Unforgiven

Anything you can regulate heat and smoke can be a smoker. I've seen them made out of filing cabinets.

ocnbrze, dontpanicbobby and olbriar like this.
  7. Unforgiven

ocnbrze and olbriar like this.
  8. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

so i'm still mulling over the treager vs weber smokefire. i'm just curious how much time do you guys do maintenance on your grills. how much time is spent on cleaning it? how much time is involved? do you cover your grills? do you use multiple grills depending on what you are cooking? i already have Car-Broil's version of the Green Egg called the Kamander. it grills and smokes pretty good on its own. i do like a wider area for cooking more then a few rack of ribs at a time.

i'm thinking of using the kamander as my grilling thinks like burgers and steaks. and a pellet grill for things like ribs and bigger cuts of meats......basically to smoke and doing a low and slow cooks.

or is the pellet grills enough to do both? or do you think i should save my money and keep using the kamander. i'm very happy with my grill now. but i do like the idea of a more controlled low and slow cook.....which is really hard to do in the kamander at least in keeping a slow and steady temp.

thoughts??????

10. Unforgiven

It
    Less than 20 minutes a month, and I cook on it 3-4 times a week, year round.
    I store mine in my shed, roll it out to cook, put it away when I'm done.
    I had a Weber when I purchased my pellet smoker, as the Traeger was meant to replace my electric smoker and I'd continue to use my Weber for grilling. After a year of not using my Weber I got tid of it. I use the pellet grill for everything.
    I haven't used one of those, but it sounds like you are in a size crunch. That's a tough call. How often are you out of room? How often do you cook the meals you can't fit on the smoker/grill you have? I swear by my pellet grill, but as I said earlier, I use it 3-4 times as week year round. They aren't cheap, so the viability for you may vaary.

olbriar and ocnbrze like this.
  11. ocnbrze

it is not so much as a size crunch per se. the kamander is about the same size as your typical weber kettle grill. however, cooking more then one rack of ribs, i have to cut them into smaller sizes. the main reason why i'm considering a pellet grill is that the kamander is hard to control the temp. sometimes it gets way too hot, way too fast or it does not keep the heat consistently. i like the temperature control that the pellet grills offers. the kamander is great for searing, but low and slow cooking is a bit more challenging.

Unforgiven likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Temperature control is certainly not a problem, even in 10 degree temps as I had yesterday. There is a thermostat inside the cooking area that controls the pellet feed. Depending on what you get, it will be insulated, or have optional insulatio avaialble. My Treager is from before the inbuilt insulation, so I have a winter jacket. I seem to remember you are in a more mild climate, so that extra expense may be overkill.

ocnbrze likes this.
  13. ocnbrze

yep.....sunny Southern California. i always say, bigger is better......lol

does the treager get hot enough to sear?

Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

I have an older one that tops out at 450-475 and I can sear. The newer ones go a bit hotter.

ocnbrze likes this.
  15. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

Yes on all comments by @Unforgiven . I likely clean my GM once a month and it takes about 20 min of my time. I keep a cover on mine though it sits on my covered patio. I often get horizontal rain in Kansas and I like to keep by cooker dry. My first smoker was an earlier model of the smoker Unforgiven has. The pellet hopper was under the hood which made for smaller cooking area. It was entirely too small. More than two racks required a stand up rib rack. It did a great job smoking but it was a one dish smoker. I next went to a GM smoker that had the same space as Unforgiven's which worked great for most all cooks. I now have the big brother to that GM. Though it does consume a few more pellets per cook, the luxury of multiple dish cooks has made it worth while for me.

I suspect all pellet smokers do a stellar job of maintaining a given temp. Not only will they perform that duty well, they will do it with no effort by the chef. You are free to do other activities with confidence that your expensive cook is going as planned. To me, that is the greatest merit of a pellet smoker. As the smokers have evolved through the years, so has the high end temp. My first two smokers topped out at 450° with my latest smoker 550°. I enjoy that increase in the searing temp though it's not a must. I cooked for years without that higher temp and never received any complaints. Just this summer I attempted to convert my burned out Jenn-Air into a charcoal fueled sear station. It fell short of achieving the temp I was after unless I used a half bag of charcoal. So many years removed from the charcoal scene, I had forgotten just how big a hassle it was to build that fire as well. With the new cooker reaching 550° the old cabinet Jenn-Air is destined to see the local landfill.

Today I'm smoking a tri-tip. My plan is to season it with coarse salt and pepper and a bit of montreal steak seasoning. I will smoke it at 225° until it reaches an internal temp of 130°. I'll then crank up the smoker to 550°. I plan on placing an old cast iron skillet in the smoker with some butter and put a fried reverse sear on the tri-tip. It's a sear that I've longed to try. I'll wrap the meat and let it rest in my hot box once I see 145° internal temp.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  16. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

A pic of the tri-tip as it is brazed in butter. It's resting now so we shall see if it was worth the effort.
    Butter Sear.jpg

MrJavi, ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  17. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

The brazing in butter did nothing more than add a delectable coating to the outside of the tri-tip. The left over drippings and butter made a great au jus, Next time I'll add some onion and worchestershire sauce to my butter but it was outstanding without. I'll definitely employ this finish on more meats. It was way too easy and good to not repeat.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  18. ocnbrze

butter always makes everything that much better. i have done the same thing in the past except i also added garlic along with butter........sooooo goooood!!!!!

MrJavi, dontpanicbobby and olbriar like this.
  19. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

I bought a package of cheap steaks at Costco last Saturday and put some grill marks on a couple tonight. Labeled as Beef Loin Top Sirloin Cap Steak... I had no clue what I was buying. I bought mostly for price and was decent looking but on the lean side. They turned out to be a great steak. I marinated them in Allegro, beer, salt, pepper, montreal steak seasoning all day. The meat really absorbed the flavors. I put some serious grill marks on them and served them medium rare. $5.29 a pound with seven 10oz steaks in the package. I vac packed two more meals for the wife and I at basically $7 a meal. I will buy a few packages next time.

MrJavi likes this.
  20. Unforgiven

I'm checking my spices. It's about time to dunk a brisket for St. Patty's day. 7-10 days down, or as long I I feel like it. :p

olbriar likes this.
  21. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

That looks so good MMMMM :)

olbriar likes this.