1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any Time is Grillin Time

Discussion in 'Food and Beverage' started by olbriar, May 28, 2012.

1. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

St Pat's day has come and gone. Any update on your corned beef @Unforgiven ? My wife did the the crock pot thing to our store bought. It was pretty good but far from home made.

Advertisement

ocnbrze and dontpanicbobby like this.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

The friends we were supposed to have over were coming off a cruise and work in healthcare, so they were unable to come. Plus, with everything else being cancelled and other prep it just dampened the mood.

I cooked it up on Sunday. Smoked at 250 until it reached 160. Lopped off a good fatty end to boil with the carrots, cabbage, and potatoes and cooked the rest in foil until 205. It was fantastic. Downside of cooking on Sunday is I didn't get a chance to make corned beef hash for breakfast with the leftovers. :(

ocnbrze, jhtalisman and olbriar like this.
  3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

OT: Are you a New Englander @Unforgiven?
    Sounded like my Mom's recipe at the end there.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Yes

ocnbrze and dontpanicbobby like this.
  5. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

I rarely miss a Sunday without smoking something. I was thinking about pork butt so I I did my running around to prepare for the cook. I was not out of pellets but thought I'd buy a couple of bags while I was out. First I ran to Wally World where I normally buy my pellets. They were out. I next ran to a farm supply store where my son buys his pellets (Atwoods). He bragged about their stock and choices of pellets with their price being reasonable. I was amazed at the shelving space allotted for pellets but they too were out. I just don't get it. You can't eat pellets and if there is a power outage a pellet smoker isn't going to work. Having some pellets at home I next ran to the market to find that they were sold out of pork shoulders. They were sold out of most everything. I could have purchased a sorry looking brisket flat... there was one left. I could have purchased some baby back ribs and should have... there were three racks in the counter. They had a couple of arm roasts but I don't like smoking them. No burger, no poultry, no hams, etc. Amazing! I bought the last package of pork blade steaks they had. I think I'll tie them together and stand them on edge and smoke them. :)

Though Atwoods' pellet stock was depleted, I snapped a pic to share. I may well have to shop there in the future. If their shelves were stocked they would have a very impressive inventory to pick through.
    Atwoods.jpg

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Unforgiven

By coincidence I have three butts in my freezer, wish I could send you one.

It's a madhouse in the stored. I did a beer can chicken on the grill last night. I'm using the leftovers to make a chicken pot pie, but I'm saving that for tomorrow, and inserting some burgers tonight to break up the consecutive chicken meals.

I think a ham mid week whose leftovers will be mixed into a homemade mac & cheese. I'll round out the week with a turkey on the weekend which I'll also get a couple turkey pies to freeze, and some turkey noodle soup, which I can also freeze.

Thankfully this is all stuff I had in the house and I didn't need to hoard from the grocery store. I did venture out yesterday and today. My normal grocery store is pretty picked over with little to know meat, canned goods, pasta, or other staples. I went to another store today and it was surprisingly well stocked. I was able to get things like chicken broth, gravy, egg noodles, etc. so I can maximize the food in my freezer and cook enough variety that my family doesn't revolt.

I hope I'm OK on pellets, I have a few places where I can get them, or worst case, I'll order online and pay the shipping.

ocnbrze and olbriar like this.
  7. Unforgiven

I just did a quick inventory. I have about 30lbs. of hickory, 15lbs. of competition blend, and 10lbs. of cherry. I seem to be missing a bucket for my apple pellets, so I may have some of them lying around too. Plus, my hopper is near full, so I should be good to go for several weeks of grilling.

ocnbrze and olbriar like this.
  8. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

It sounds like you are the man with a plan. I'm not stocked up for the long haul but I'm in decent shape as well. I always have a fair stock of meat in the freezer. Noodles, eggs, milk, bread, and the like I have but have no back stock. I will easily survive unless the idiots continue to hoard.

The pellet hoarding blows my mind. I realize it has a long shelf life but why would one want to buy out the store? I always purchase when I'm nearing the end of my supply. I'm at that point now. I would have laid on 120 - 160 pounds yesterday as per usual if available. I likely have 50 pounds or so in stock. I know how to cook indoors. :) I'll make out.

ocnbrze and Unforgiven like this.
  9. jhtalisman

jhtalisman Android Enthusiast

I was out and about the other day. Got a bag of charcoal. Need to exchange an empty propane tank if there hasn't been a run on that yet. Otherwise I have about a half tank. Don't need to hoard, have about 30-40 lbs of charcoal. Just want alternate cooking methods just in case.

ocnbrze, Unforgiven and olbriar like this.
  10. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

My nephew did home fries with onions and peppers and melted cheese. Then he mixed in the scrambled eggs. Yum!
    He might be a closet vegetarian...

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

A slab of ham too. So much for vegi.

ocnbrze likes this.
  12. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

just bought some ground turkey.....gonna be grilling up some turkey burgers later today!!!!!!!!

olbriar and Unforgiven like this.
  13. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

I'm grilling some bork burgers right now. 80% beef and 20% pork. Tomorrow I'm smoking a pork butt. I'm so very hungry for pulled pork! Last weekend the market was out and so was I. :( There were plenty to choose from today and I bought a beauty. It was no bargain but so what. I'm hungry for it, :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  14. ocnbrze

do you get a butcher to do the beef pork mix? or do you do it yourself? never tried a mixture like that.

15. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

The first time I tried bork it was in Phoenix Az. It came from a small local butcher near my daughter's home. That was around four years ago. I talked to my butcher but working for a grocery chain he couldn't hook me up. Then about a year ago he had it for sale. I asked him what was up. He told me I wasn't the only customer asking for a beef / pork blend and the powers that be decided they would try marketing it. I think you will find the blend in all Kroger stores if one is in your area.

It isn't beef flavored or pork flavored. It has enough fat to cook well without a lot of shrinkage. I like the blend really well for grilled burgers. I love making a meatloaf with the blend. It's just different enough tasting that it's interesting. The texture is typical ground beef. Give it a go if you get the chance. I think you will like it.

ocnbrze likes this.
  16. ocnbrze

yeah no kroger here in LA. i believe Ralphs is under the Kroger banner. i'll check to see if there is anything like there. is it prepackaged? or behind the meat counter?

it sounds delicious!!!!! i wonder if it is available online or not.

Unforgiven likes this.
  17. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

My local market is branded Dillons but it is Kroger owned. The bork is wrapped in the case in two pound packages. Good luck.

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  18. olbriar

olbriar  
    Moderator Thread Starter

It was a beautiful day here. It was absolutely a delight to be on the patio smoking a pork butt. The butt I smoked today was a lot larger than my normal pick. It was the smallest available so it was my choice.. right at ten pounds. It took nine hours at 250° to reach my target temp of 205° with the last two hours wrapped. It turned out great but it's difficult to mess up pulled pork. I'm glad it's good for I'll be eating it for a week. :)

Pork Butt.jpg

Unforgiven and ocnbrze like this.
  19. Unforgiven

@olbriar, this should aleve your pellet shortage. :D :p I would check the date before you order.
    [​IMG]