1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Any tips/programs to manage the Epic's battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Poweranimals, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    As most of you know, the Epic doesn't get that great of battery life. How do you guys get the most out of your battery?

Advertisement

2. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm using Watchdog Lite, and it's buying me roughly 20% more time on the battery...enough to get me home after a day at work.

3. la sal

la sal Android Expert
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Male
    Waukesha, WI
    Turn data off when you are not using it.

4. Stringyquark

Stringyquark Member
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    If your going to have the phone for a year or more invest in a 2nd battery. Unless you only use it for phone calls. A second charger wouldn't hurt for that 2nd battery.

5. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    the epic 4g is my first long-term android device. at first, i used juice defender ultimate and saw improvements. liked it because it helped me as a noob, but i've since stopped using it because it was controlling too much for marked improvements, which is not right for a smartphone. or too little, which doesn't make sense to use at all.

now, i just do what @la sal says and manually control usage myself (mobile data, wifi, gps, 4G, refresh intervals, etc.) eventually you will find the right balance for your need.

6. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    The Epic has great battery life when you tend to the needs of your phone.

Run JuiceDefender and Advanced Task Killer. In ATK, I set the auto kill frequency to 1 hour and the level to aggressive.

Turn off features when you are not using them. After you use your GPS, turn it off, on a trip from your house to the office? Turn off the wifi on the trip. If you don't care when someone befriends you on Facebook, set the refresh interval to 2 or 3 hours or never.

Before I rooted, I was able to get about 8-10 hours of battery life with moderate use with about an 1 and a half hours display on time. Rooted, I get about 15-26 hours with about an hour to 3 hours of display on.

This image is my best battery life to date. I forgot to take a screenshot of the display usage, but it should have been about 1 to 2 hours.
    [​IMG]

7. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 3, 2011
    1 to 2hrs screen? Thanks for proof JD and task killers rape battery life.

I no longer have my Epic but here's my Galaxy Nexus with its higher clocked dual core CPU, and larger, higher quality HD screen, which should have no chance of getting better battery than the Epic. You'll also notice I actually used the phone.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]