1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any UMA wifi calling apps?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by layzeegrimm, Sep 3, 2011.

1. layzeegrimm

layzeegrimm Lurker

Hello, I have been using T-Mobile's UMA WiFi calling app for a while now since that's the only way I could ever get reception at home. This has denied me from ever having a custom flash onto my phone since I couldn't find any other UMA apps. I also couldn't find a way to get the T-Mobile's app onto one of the custom flashes I've tried, I'm assuming you need the stock to get it.

I don't mind if it uses up my minutes, as all I'm looking for is reception. I don't want a Google Voice number if it requires me to change my number, having to inform everyone of the new #.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

The newer phones have wifi calling built in. I don't think you can get UMA otherwise.
    You would have to use something like Skype to Skype which is free, or use VOIP with a SIP setup.
    My SGS4G has wifi calling and rooting didn't bother it.

3. layzeegrimm

layzeegrimm Lurker

So I have the Samsung Galaxy S 3g phone... wifi calling came with the Froyo update (in case you didn't know). I tried using some mod after rooting and I could not retrieve the WiFi calling I originally had. Which mod did you use?? Maybe I'll try that one out?

Thanks.

4. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member

I had wifi calling until I flashed to a custom ROM. Don't get me wrong, I'm world's happier with my custom ROM as the factory T-Mobile one sucked in terms of speed, but as a result I lost wifi calling and haven't figured out how to get it back.

I got excited when I saw Tango, but Tango looks to only be wifi calling to other Tango users. Which.. uh... is pretty useless to me. :(

5. layzeegrimm

layzeegrimm Lurker

Exactly JaSauders, I felt exactly the same way as you. I'm forced to stick with the Samsung stock before I even get to try again.. :(

So I'm assuming there's no easy surefire way yet?

6. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member

The only way I've heard is to utilize Google Voice.

That said, I don't want to utilize Google Voice with my alternative number just when I'm in a wifi only zone.

However... I heard you could pay a one time fee of 20 dollars to integrate your already existent cell number into Google Voice.... which makes me wonder if I could pay that one time fee to get my number into GV and thereby utilize GV for my cell number in wifi only areas...

Haven't tested it, but it's a theory I began to think about.

7. layzeegrimm

layzeegrimm Lurker

I actually tried Google Voice just now. What I was told that "works" was that I could call forward all my calls to the GV number. I also installed GV to the phone.

Then I turned off WiFi calling and attempted it; apparently from my trials, GV requires reception in order to work.

8. clobber

clobber Member

So you really have two options here:

1) Keep the stock ROM and use UMA, now known as Generic Access Network (GAN), offered by your provider. See the thing about GAN is that even though it is standardized, mobile operators take it and make it somewhat proprietary. You would really need to stick with the operator's App for reliable service. Their might be a 3rd party app out there (I have not seen one), but my guess is you would encounter problems.

The advantage to using GAN is that your cell phone number is used to call you where ever you are. If you are at home or in a hotel on Wifi, people will reach you using your T-Mobile phone number. It is also pretty secure. All your voice etc is encrypted from your home to the provider.

2) Use a more traditional VOIP service at home. For example, I use sipgate.com with the sipdroid app on my phone. Sipgate will give you a phone number (called a DID) and they actually have free incoming calls. The outgoing rates are very reasonable and would probably be much less that the UMA/GAN service. There are other services besides sipgate.

The problem with that exact setup is that people have to call your t-mobile number when you are on the cell network, and your sipgate number when you are on wifi. Not a good situation. That is where I use google voice. Google give you a totally new phone number and you point it to ring both your t-mobile phone number and your sipgate number. Which ever one answers first wins. The only real drawback to this is that you have to give everyone your new GV phone number. Not a big deal for me. This will also solve your outgoing Google Voice problem in two ways. 1) You just dial using sipdroid and your sipgate account. In the settings of your sipgate account you can tell it to provide callerid of your GV number everything you make a call. That way, people only see your GV number. 2) There serveral free android apps that will initiate a GV call through your data/wifi connection (so you dont need cell coverage). You'll have to google something like "google voice sipdroid sipgate" for the exact configuration.

Hope that helps some.