• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any User Reviews?

So far so good here. I'm coming off a Vivid that I had for 29 days and would say the following (given I'm a heavy email/text/social media/contacts/web pages kind of guy vs. a gamer/video watcher):
1. Screen is as good as what all the reviewers say; appears to have a slight Samsung-like blueish tint at lower brightness levels but side by side with the Vivid, on text (which I care a ton about), you could see the clarity difference
2. GPS is spot on/more accurate at first hit
3. Ability to remove bloat-ware is good/works
4. Encountering some of the lag between apps and navigating across home screens
5. Encountering some of the "have to hit the screen multiple times to get it to do something" that a few of the reviewers have commented on
6. No call or wifi connectivity issues and in fact, have held a voice signal a bit better in some "low spots" vs. the Vivid and iPhone 4 (previous phone to Vivid)
7. Rear speakerphone is good, and consistently easier to hear than the Vivid (especially on the Vivid when I listed to voice mails; I had to pursue loading a 3rd party app to try to fix this on the Vivid...no such need here)
8. My wife says I sound a bit less "tinny" on the Nitro than I did on the Vivid
9. Switched out the stock browser to get rid of that static toolbar for Dolphin HD
10. Not sure if this is an LG overlay vs. HTC Sense issue, but the Mail app "Combined Inbox" on the LG won't pick up new email when I have all of my accounts set to "Manual", and there's no "Refresh" option provided to manually refresh (but the "Refresh" option is available on the individual mail boxes)

Only had the phone 36 hours but so far I'm not regretting turning in the Vivid, even with the few quirks as I'm optimistic they can be sorted. Full disclosore: I'm an Android noob having broken free from the iHype 31 days back after 4 years and 3 iPhones.

Upvote 0
Quick update: I replaced all stock primary UI stuff with GO Launcher EX and related widgets (Locker, Theme, SMSPro, ContactEX, etc.), and the lag on moving the Nitro has essentially disappeared. As a noob, I thought I would give an off-the-shelf launcher a try to see if it helped...and it did. I'll continue to break free of my noob-iness nature and start playing around with a hard reset and/or root to see if things continue to improve.

Overall, 4 days in and not regretting my switch from the Vivid to the Nitro. More to come.

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
my mms won't work 75% of the time. any suggestions? tried handcent already and that resolved absolutely nothing.

are you having any other network related issues?

what phone did you come from?

on the Vivid and Skyrocket users have experienced several data related issues because their account was not properly set up for the new phone.

Upvote 0
I've had mine now going on 5 days. Functionally it seems ok, but won't keep my bluetooth earpiece connected (when it works flawlessly with one other phone), and won't stay connected to my wi-fi network at home (when the netbook never loses a connection).

I do like the fact that when I am connected to the wi-fi network at home, I have full access to the file server (Linux Ubuntu) and everything that's on it. I also downloaded a print app, and it does great (.pdf & .jpg files) printing wirelessly through the network to the ethernet connected Xerox Phasor color printer, but doesn't recognize .doc files.

I can't stand the fact that there never seems to be a way to turn off the apps when I am finished with them. Even tho it seems to be the industry standard, it is not acceptable.

I came to the Nitro from an HP iPAQ pocket pc. That was a new world for me, 6 years ago. This is a new world for me today. The extended life battery on the iPAQ lasted almost a week without needing recharging. I'm recharging this thing a couple of times per day.

I have downloaded several apps, still trying to find the right to-do list app. Thinking about rooting but haven't figured out what I can do that would be useful (not that there isn't anything, I just haven't been exposed yet). Would like to know more about what can be done to the Android via root access. Would like to get rid of the bloatware (what is this Zynga Poker game, anyway???).

One thing is that the unit is bigger than anything else I've seen. It's 5.27" long, which is longer than any other phone I've found. As such, I've not been able to find any kind of belt clip or even protective sleeve - except this fugly black & white "ballistic" thing that will protect it from being dropped, but not from being dropped in a suitcase. Needs a good leather cover or slip-case.

Picture quality is simply amazing. It's must-see-it-to-believe-it quality.

Audio (music) reminds me of those old "17 transistor" radios we had when I was a kid. Today it's all on one chip. But, those little AM radios sounded pretty good in their day, but not so much today. This is only slightly better. Probably would sound MUCH better piped through a sound system or at least a stereo bluetooth headset.

Would like to try the remote-control apps. Got the flashlight app & that's pretty cool - very bright single-led light. Got the air horn app, which means I can say something once, and then repeat myself a thousand times with just a touch - something the kids are starting not to like very much!

Upvote 0
I've had mine now going on 5 days. Functionally it seems ok, but won't keep my bluetooth earpiece connected (when it works flawlessly with one other phone), and won't stay connected to my wi-fi network at home (when the netbook never loses a connection).

I do like the fact that when I am connected to the wi-fi network at home, I have full access to the file server (Linux Ubuntu) and everything that's on it. I also downloaded a print app, and it does great (.pdf & .jpg files) printing wirelessly through the network to the ethernet connected Xerox Phasor color printer, but doesn't recognize .doc files.

I can't stand the fact that there never seems to be a way to turn off the apps when I am finished with them. Even tho it seems to be the industry standard, it is not acceptable.

I came to the Nitro from an HP iPAQ pocket pc. That was a new world for me, 6 years ago. This is a new world for me today. The extended life battery on the iPAQ lasted almost a week without needing recharging. I'm recharging this thing a couple of times per day.

I have downloaded several apps, still trying to find the right to-do list app. Thinking about rooting but haven't figured out what I can do that would be useful (not that there isn't anything, I just haven't been exposed yet). Would like to know more about what can be done to the Android via root access. Would like to get rid of the bloatware (what is this Zynga Poker game, anyway???).

One thing is that the unit is bigger than anything else I've seen. It's 5.27" long, which is longer than any other phone I've found. As such, I've not been able to find any kind of belt clip or even protective sleeve - except this fugly black & white "ballistic" thing that will protect it from being dropped, but not from being dropped in a suitcase. Needs a good leather cover or slip-case.

Picture quality is simply amazing. It's must-see-it-to-believe-it quality.

Audio (music) reminds me of those old "17 transistor" radios we had when I was a kid. Today it's all on one chip. But, those little AM radios sounded pretty good in their day, but not so much today. This is only slightly better. Probably would sound MUCH better piped through a sound system or at least a stereo bluetooth headset.

Would like to try the remote-control apps. Got the flashlight app & that's pretty cool - very bright single-led light. Got the air horn app, which means I can say something once, and then repeat myself a thousand times with just a touch - something the kids are starting not to like very much!

Hello Dark,

Rooting is VERY easy to do, read this thread and you'll be done within 10 minutes.

LG Nitro Root - xda-developers

It may not work right away, but it will go through.

Afterwards you can use Titanium Backup to either freeze or uninstall apps, there's a thread on this as well.

Have you tried out an alternative launcher yet? If not I recommend Go Launcher EX, definitely a nice performance boost! (Looks good too!)

Edit: Just saw your other thread on rooting, great post, had no idea some of those apps existed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones