• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any video player capable of 720p + subtitles?

C

czpeet

Hello,

first, thank you all for this great forum.

One question arised on my mind when reading reviews of Galaxy S - is there any video player capable of playing HD content (720p) and showing subtitles - either from srt file or directly from MKV?

There are players with subtitles support but I am afraid that to play HD content 1Ghz processor is not enough and that Galaxy's internal player is also taking advance of GPU which others players do not.

What do you think?

FYI on the 2.2.1 JPU update subtitles work in the inbuilt player - just watched a little of a 720P MKV with subtitles on JPU. Sweet. My bloody PS3 can't even play those!

Noticed after copying the file across that the media scanner is much faster to scan my 32GB card on this firmware. Nice.

EDIT: Even better than I thought - in settings there are now subtitle options - you can choose text size and colour and even change how they are sync'd - so if there are sync issues you can fix them from within the app! Brilliant.

Reactions: Ih4teKies
Upvote 0
FYI on the 2.2.1 JPU update subtitles work in the inbuilt player - just watched a little of a 720P MKV with subtitles on JPU. Sweet. My bloody PS3 can't even play those!

Noticed after copying the file across that the media scanner is much faster to scan my 32GB card on this firmware. Nice.

EDIT: Even better than I thought - in settings there are now subtitle options - you can choose text size and colour and even change how they are sync'd - so if there are sync issues you can fix them from within the app! Brilliant.

Just tried it myself this is amazing!
don't think I'll ever need to buy a 3rd party app ever for video now.
Hoping gingerbread music player is as good as thr vid player we have for froyo 2.2.1
Nice find NZ

Upvote 0

I'm sort of new to the Android and Smartphones, but I noticed trying to play some Japanese and korean videos I have that it didn't do subtitles on hardware rendering. You mention the 2.2.1 JPU...but what is it?

Again sort of a newbie, so any help you have would be greatly appreciated, I tried Rockplayer and Mobo and a few others, the only one that worked was Mobo in software rendering mode, and the audio/video desynched regularly on the Epic 4g. So looking for some help! Thanks tons!

Upvote 0
I'm sort of new to the Android and Smartphones, but I noticed trying to play some Japanese and korean videos I have that it didn't do subtitles on hardware rendering. You mention the 2.2.1 JPU...but what is it?

Again sort of a newbie, so any help you have would be greatly appreciated, I tried Rockplayer and Mobo and a few others, the only one that worked was Mobo in software rendering mode, and the audio/video desynched regularly on the Epic 4g. So looking for some help! Thanks tons!

I used mvideo player
https://market.android.com/details?id=afzkl.development.mVideoPlayer&feature=search_result

it worked fine getting the subtitle from my mkv files [no colors on the text though] , it's quite a neat media player .. well done and awesome

[if subtitle didn't load , close the video and try again , sometimes the first try doesn't work for some reason]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones