• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Way To Avoid Google Acct for FREE Apps?

Remm

Lurker
May 24, 2013
Hello! I'm a total newbie so please bear with me. I rooted, then installed CWM and CM10 internally on EMMC. It's all running fine. But I really want Android to run like a non-proprietary OS/e-reader without linking to a Google acct or gmail, as I only use FREE apps. I have heard this can be done with sideloading but don't understand how you get the apps from the app store in that case, or how to sideload them... (install from sdcard?) To this end the internal storage is partitioned w/ 12GB for Media and 1GB for private use. I saw the links here on how I can repartition it if needed, but now that it's running CM10 is it still useful to repartition it for sideloading, or... ?? I'm confused about this obviously. Specs: 16GB Nook Tablet CWM on EMMC Android 4.1.2 on EMMC Kernel 3.30.31+ hd@hd-succulent #1 12-8-12 Cyanogenmod 10-20121208-UNOFFICAL-acclaim

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones