1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Any way to create voice-to-text messages?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidros, Aug 26, 2017.

1. droidros

droidros Android Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2010
    Federal employee - Instructional Designer/Project
    DC Metro Area
    I am terrible at text messaging because autocorrect is always substituting what it thinks I meant instead of what I typed - even if I have typed a perfectly normal common word spelled correctly. My daughter, who has an iPhone, asks me why I don't use voice input instead of typing. Well, because I can't find a way to do it. There's a microphone icon on the keyboard, but when I press that it tells me to hold to record and release to send. Then it creates a voice recording, which is definitely NOT what I want. I've checked all the settings and don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Is there a way with the default message app and Google keyboard or do I need to install something else?

Advertisement

2. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    When I'm driving I say "OK Moto Z, send a message to Bill" which opens Google
    One way I use is to long hold my Home button (the center Circle key) which brings up Google Assistant. Then I say "send a text." The Google Assistant will ask who to, and away you go. I also have my phone enabled to respond when I say "OK Moto Z." Then I give a command to send a text, which again activates the Google Assistant.

doogald, droidros and Dannydet like this.
  3. droidros

Oct 10, 2010
    DC Metro Area
    Thank you very much, the long hold on the Home button works as you describe. I didn't know about that trick.

But I have now discovered another problem. "OK Google" or "OK Moto Z" does not work. I have enabled OK Google and Trusted Voice, but nothing happens when I say it, regardless of which screen I'm on. I tried to retrain voice recognition, but after I say OK Google three times, it tells me "Can't use the microphone. Restart your device." Restarting doesn't solve the problem ... even in Safe Mode.

The microphone is obviously working because I can tap the microphone in the Google search bar and input a command.

I'm not sure whether OK Google has ever worked on this phone as I don't use it much. I know it worked on my previous phone, a Samsung.

#3 droidros, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    tommo47 likes this.
  4. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    I don't use the OK Google or the Trusted Voice in the Google app settings. I use the Moto Voice option in the Moto app. I don't believe that both Moto Voice and Google voice work at the same time. It's one or the other. So for me, whether the phone is awake or asleep, it's OK Moto Z to activate any voice search, text message or call.

lunatic59 and droidros like this.
  5. droidros

Oct 10, 2010
    DC Metro Area
    Okay, that explains it - thanks again. I didn't know about the Moto voice function. I enabled that instead of Google voice and it works.

I guess I need to spend some time learning about this phone. I previously had two Motorola phones prior to my last one, a Samsung S5, so I thought I knew how to use it. Seems I don't!

kmf and lunatic59 like this.
  6. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    You're doing just fine! Asking questions in the forums is how we all learn more about our devices and what they can do.

lunatic59, droidros and olbriar like this.
  7. droidros

Oct 10, 2010
    DC Metro Area
    Thanks again. ;)

kmf likes this.

Motorola Moto Z

The Motorola Moto Z launched in 2016 and in the US, was exclusive to Verizon as the "Moto Z Droid Edition." The phone was the first of its kind to feature "Moto Mods," accessories that attached to the back of the phone to expand functionality. The phone was joined by the more rugged Moto Z Force and mid-ranged Moto Z Play.