• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to disable S-voice...

sorka

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
Really shocked that the double press of the home button brings up s-voice rather than GVN. Given the feedback Verizon has gotten from customers, it's pretty shocking really.

I may have to install a custom rom now. I really don't want to but I *NEED* to be able to launch google voice search or GVN from a button globally while in any app without having to look at the screen to issue commands.

You can disable s voice launch with home within its settings.

Not sure what GVN is? Google Now? You can launch this from anywhere. Long hold Home and press the search or G icon at the bottom (Middle)

Yes, but that requires looking at the screen. Most of the time I do this while driving so it is essential to be able to do this without having to look at the screen.

Selecting disable via the home key only prevents s-voice from coming up. s-voice still runs, intercepts the double press and then does nothing.

However, unlike ICS, if you *disable* s-voice from the app manager, double press now starts "Google Voice Dialer" globally which is a good start because it means now that samsung has been removed from the picture.

There must be a way now to get GVN to come up instead of GVD. This may be a sqlite database setting requiring root and sqlite editor. I'll have to go ask around in the root section.

Upvote 0
Google Voice Now.

And you are incorrect. Disable s-voice from the app manager and it allows you to double press and bring up the actual Google Voice Dialer. Leaving s-voice enabled but disabling the double tap home button simple makes s-voice behave differently i.e throws the event away. With s-voice enabled, it's intercepting both the single tap and double tap event handlers but not the long press. s-voice in charge of the single press and s-voice controls the behavior of what occurs with either single or double press. Do a search in the android development community if you'd like to educate yourself.

Upvote 0
The event was renamed which is why the bluetooth launch hack no longer works. That app either needs to be modified or a new app that intercepts the same event needs to be written. When an app registers itself to handle events, if there is more than one app that can catch the event, android presents you with a dialog asking you to choose one of the apps or make it default.

Upvote 0
And you are incorrect. Disable s-voice from the app manager and it allows you to double press and bring up the actual Google Voice Dialer. Leaving s-voice enabled but disabling the double tap home button simple makes s-voice behave differently i.e throws the event away. With s-voice enabled, it's intercepting both the single tap and double tap event handlers but not the long press. s-voice in charge of the single press and s-voice controls the behavior of what occurs with either single or double press. Do a search in the android development community if you'd like to educate yourself.

If you disable Launch via home, s voice no longer listens to the home press event. This is fact. Not interested in app manager. Simply talking about double press home.

Home button lag was caused by S voice intercepting the handler and waiting for a second press and timing out before letting the home button act "Naturally".

Anyway you can get home to launch anything you want with this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5laWthdG91MC5hcHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

I hadn't figures out yet how to go directly into the "voice" part of google search, but I'll let you figure that one out. Perhaps something like

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=teq.QCustomShortcut&hl=en

I would research further but I dont like your tone or attitude so I will not.

good luck educating yourself.

Reactions: silentwitness
Upvote 0
If you disable Launch via home, s voice no longer listens to the home press event. This is fact. Not interested in app manager. Simply talking about double press home.

Home button lag was caused by S voice intercepting the handler and waiting for a second press and timing out before letting the home button act "Naturally".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5laWthdG91MC5hcHBzcG90LmhvbWUyc2hvcnRjdXQiXQ..

I hadn't figures out yet how to go directly into the "voice" part of google search, but I'll let you figure that one out. Perhaps something like

That's ok. I solved it once before without your help and was thanked many times for it:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/583357-heres-how-launch-google-voice-search-home-button.html

so I'm sure I can solve it again.

As far as not looking further because you don't like my attitude, are essentially upset with me but taking it out on the community. This issue effects a lot of users, not just me. If you believe you have the knowledge and expertise to solve this, then you'll do so for the community rather than punish the community because you don't like my attitude. Given your posting history and the number of times you've been thanked, you obviously already have a great deal of respect in the community, so I was a little surprised at your attitude as well.

If I can't find an app that does it, I can write it myself.

Upvote 0
Yes, but that requires looking at the screen. Most of the time I do this while driving so it is essential to be able to do this without having to look at the screen.

Selecting disable via the home key only prevents s-voice from coming up. s-voice still runs, intercepts the double press and then does nothing.

However, unlike ICS, if you *disable* s-voice from the app manager, double press now starts "Google Voice Dialer" globally which is a good start because it means now that samsung has been removed from the picture.

There must be a way now to get GVN to come up instead of GVD. This may be a sqlite database setting requiring root and sqlite editor. I'll have to go ask around in the root section.

god forbid you have to look at the screen for 1/100th of a second

Upvote 0
At least that's what it looks like to me.

Svoice - YouTube

I see your point there but mine doesn't do that. Mine's already going back to the home screen before the second press, no matter how fast I am.

What I see is what many international users see (and maybe thats th difference?)

We have a home button lag when s voice is enabled. Much like what you see there. You press home and it waits for that second press to either happen or time out before it actually goes to home. As soon as you disable open S voice via home, that lag / waiting for time out disappears.

We are talking about the same thing? Opening s voice, menu > Settings and deselecting the home to open option rather than android settings > Applications manager and disabling the application there?

The other thing that also makes me think the opposite is seeing this disabled in autostarts under s voice and I could be wrong here but my initial impression of this:

"com.vlingo.client.app.action.CHECK_DOUBLE_TAP_CONFIG" (the caps are there, I'm not drawing attention to them) is that it doesn't listen to double tap home events.

Upvote 0

I'd be very wary about that first link. It wants permissions to make phone calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones