• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any way to fix my M8? Thanks for help!

dimij

Lurker
Nov 4, 2015
Hey Guys.
Well i just registered & im familiar with this forum, so i hope i post this to where it belongs.
(sry for my not so good englisch btw.)

Now about my problem:

Right after i bought my phone in 2014 I got myself twrp 2.7.0.2 . I didnt flashed any custom Roms (for all that i know) and was happy with just the possibility to use some root apps.

Over time I got tired to get this notification that i could download an update (witch wasent possible because of the root i guess?). So I decided to update it manually.
At first I booted into the bootloader, then into the Recovery & there I made a huge mistake.
I first did this wipe data/factory reset, but after this i couldnt flash my .zip Rom from the sdcard. So (not very brilliant I know) i thought it would be a good idea to wipe the system as well, leaving me just with the message you have no OS installed.

Well after that I tried to update my twrp via fastboot, because I thought the problem might be an too old twrp version. After this wouldn't work as well, I (also not a very bright thought) decided to flash CWM. When I then wanted to boot into the recovery, it would just show "entering recovery mode" for bout 1 second & then load to fastboot mode.

Now the problem is I cant flash any other image because adb & fastboot wont find my device anymore. Strange about that is that I get this notification on my pc that something is pluged in, & in the device manager it shows the M8 under "Android USB Devices" as "My HTC".
This state is since i installed htcsync to get the latest drivers. Bevor it was also detectet as a Softwaredevice: "Android 1.0" (but then also the adb/fastboot didnt work.

If anyone could tell me how to get my Pc back to recognize it again so i can work with fastboot again, or if there is a methode to flash the custom recovery via SDcard, I would be sooo greatful.

here what the bootloader says:

***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
m8_ul pvt ship s-on
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OpenDSP-v38.2.2-00542-M8974.0311
OS-
eMMC-boot 2048MB

Thanks

Hey man, not entirely sure this will work as I see you're s-on but I think it will and if it doesn't work it won't do anything
Google and find the official ruu.zip for your phone. It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 GB in size. Download it to your computer and rename it 0P6BIMG.zip (that's a zero not the letter O). Power off your phone.
Put this file on your SD card or any SD card without putting it in any folders and load that card into your SD slot on your phone. Now boot into hboot and select fastboot. Fastboot will automatically detect the zip and ask if you want to update. Select yes and press the power button to confirm.
During the update the phone will reboot fastboot once, so don't panic. Just let it do it's thing and sit back and relax. When it's done it'll say press power to reboot. Do that. You will reboot into your stock ROM with stock recovery.

Now! Take the ota update and install it. The reason you had problems before is because ota won't work on anything but stock ROM and recovery. Never never never take an official ota update with custom recovery installed. It WILL NOT work.

Once you've installed the ota update you can root and use an app called flashify to make a backup of your stock recovery. Save that stock recovery.img for future ota updates. Flashify will also install latest twrp and/or your stock recovery as well as other images. Once you've done that, install twrp and make a backup of your stock ROM just in case you need it... Like for an ota update.

Reactions: dimij and Brian706
Upvote 0
Hi guys me again.
I tested this methode last week & it wasent working for me. By now I have deinstalled all old htc drivers, installed the UND and can now use fastboot again. I'm now just not sure where I can find a matching OS, cause since I'm S-ON i can't just install anything..
Any answers to this ?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi guys me again.
I tested this methode last week & it wasent working for me. By now I have deinstalled all old htc drivers, installed the UND and can now use fastboot again. I'm now just not sure where I can find a matching OS, cause since I'm S-ON i can't just install anything..
Any answers to this ?
Thanks
Also, what did you download and what did it say when you tried to flash it.

You really need to give some more information if you want help. Also if you can run fastboot command fastboot getvar all and post the results WITHOUT imei or serial number. Never post those on the internet or anywhere else

Upvote 0
I downloaded some ruus, but it didnt work because they were x.xx.161 and I need x.xx.166?
it said signature verification failed

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP110
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Upvote 0
I downloaded some ruus, but it didnt work because they were x.xx.161 and I need x.xx.166?
it said signature verification failed

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON

(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP110
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
OK... Repeat the same process i told you before with this Ruu

http://www.carbontesla.com/2015/01/htc-one-m8-4-16-401-10-stock-lollipop-ruu-0p6bimg/

Upvote 0
I did that now. first I putted it on my SD. It was checking as always, then it sayd wrong CID.

When I then tried it with fastboot this happened

"FAILED (Remote: 12 Signature verify fail)"

Do you have another idea?
THanks dimig

OK, everything I've found with x.xx.166.x FW is for HTC one X.

I did find a site with SIGNED Ruu for vodafone. If it's not signed it won't work for you since you're s-on. Go here

http://www.handy-faq.de/forum/htc-one-m8-firmwaresammlung-ruus-otas-backups-t301918/

And try the signed Ruu for your phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones