• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

any way to get Gmail to POP on phone versus sync?

Should be a "leave on server" setting in Gmail somewhere. I use K9 mail and delete on phone and they are still on my PC. There's a setting in "accounts" what to do with a deleted message, "do not delete from server" is an option.

I don't think the stock gmail app, if that's what the OP is using, has that option (which would make sense, since the gmail app is using an IMAP style system).

The problem is that when you delete your email on your phone, you're also deleting it from the server. That's compared to your PC, where if you delete the email in outlook, the email is still on your gmail account. The easiest solution would be to simply start hitting 'archive' on the gmail app rather than delete. It won't use up any more space on your phone and you can still find the email in outlook later.

But if POP is what suits you, then K9 is a good app, definitely.

Upvote 0
I don't think the stock gmail app, if that's what the OP is using, has that option (which would make sense, since the gmail app is using an IMAP style system).

The problem is that when you delete your email on your phone, you're also deleting it from the server. That's compared to your PC, where if you delete the email in outlook, the email is still on your gmail account. The easiest solution would be to simply start hitting 'archive' on the gmail app rather than delete. It won't use up any more space on your phone and you can still find the email in outlook later.

But if POP is what suits you, then K9 is a good app, definitely.

Is K9 the best android POP email app?

Upvote 0
Is K9 the best android POP email app?

Well, it's certainly one of the best ones. I stick with the official gmail client for the most part, but K9 is really the only 3rd party client I've heard people talking about. There could always be better alternatives out there, I don't know.

The one thing you'll want to watch out for if you're using POP on both your phone and PC is that emails you download on your PC wont be available later on your phone. If you wanted to fix that you could enable the 'leave email on server' option in both outlook and k9. That would cause every email to stay on your gmail account, but with 7GB of storage that's hardly a problem for most people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones