• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to get notifications for text msg but nothing else?

madfloyd

Lurker
Nov 7, 2013
My Note 3 is constantly making sounds, usually water droplets. I think it's whenever the temperature changes, wi-fi changes, or it just feels like it.

My dismay is that the text messaging sound is linked to Notifications or I would just turn down the Notifications volume. I need to know when I get a text message the same way I need to know when I get a voice call.

I have already gone into many apps and turned notifications off. This saddens me because I like to swipe down and see all my notifications - on demand.

What's worse is I still get so many notification sounds anyways.

And what's strange is that not all apps make the same 'notification' sound - when I get a text it isn't a water-droplet sound but something different.

I'm looking for any solution or advice that will allow me to get audio when I get a text message but have it be silent for other notifications (here's an area where I wish the phone worked like Apples' pushes).

Thanks in advance.

Go into Settings | Sounds | Default Notification Sound and choose "None." It should be at the top of the list. This will set the notification sound for anything you haven't specified otherwise to silent.

Next, go into your Messaging app, choose settings and you should be able to set a tone of your choice.

Upvote 0
Check out the app Light Flow. It will allow you set which app notifications alert you and how. You can set a different color light (and different flash patterns), a different sound, a different vibration pattern for EACH notification supported. There is a free version that gives you the basics (SMS, missed phone, etc.) but the paid version adds hundreds more supported apps.

So for instance on my phone, I have the following set up:

Chess moves: Green flashing light, custom flash pattern, custom sound, custom vibration pattern.
SMS & MMS: Light blue flashing light, custom flash pattern
Missed phone call: Red flashing light, custom flash pattern
Voice mail: Yellow flashing light, custom flash pattern
Calendar alerts: Pink flashing light, custom flash pattern
NBC breaking news alerts: Yellow flashing light, custom flash pattern
Facebook messages: Blue flashing light, custom flash pattern

So with the above set up, I only get sound and vibration for the chess moves. Everything else is silent.

Note some apps (like Facebook) have multiple notification types so you can pick and choose what type of notification you are alerted too. Like on Facebook I only wanted to be alerted when someone sends me a personal message, not for every post.

It's a great program and works very well with the Note 3. I posted a complete breakdown of what colors works in another thread in this sub forum.

Upvote 0
I haven't played too much with the recent versions, but I know it has a nighttime mode for turning off notifications during bed hours. I've been rocking the same configuration for near two years. It's a solid app and you can email the dev and you will hear back within minutes. He's freindly and receptive.

Reactions: KOLIO and dustwun77
Upvote 0
Go into Settings | Sounds | Default Notification Sound and choose "None." It should be at the top of the list.
Nope. I go straight into a choice of file manager. No option of "None". Which doesn't stop me installing a silent "sound" file of course.

This will set the notification sound for anything you haven't specified otherwise to silent.

Upvote 0
Nope. I go straight into a choice of file manager. No option of "None". Which doesn't stop me installing a silent "sound" file of course.

Ah, you have something like Zedge or Tone PIcker installed. You should be able to load the default tone chooser that loads the default list of tones that ship with your phone.

Reactions: Simon_Gardner
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones