• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to link Ringtone and Notification Volume?

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
I thought this was working before, but maybe I'm just crazy. But I know it's not working now. I'm on Verizon and got the JB update a week or so ago.

I'm just trying to find a way to link the Ringtone and Notification volumes together like it was in past versions of Android on all my other phones.

I tried the Quick Settings app and the Volume Control + app. Both give a checkbox to link the two but neither actually does anything. When I move the volume rocker, the ringtone goes up and down but notification don't change at all.

I also use an app called Ring Scheduler to set my volume at certain times of the day. That also can only change the ringer volume and not the notifications.

I saw a thread about using Tasker, but didn't see a free version and don't really want to pay $7 just to fix this one issue.

Any other apps that work to link them, or apps that can schedule them and change both together, or anything like that would be great.

Thanks!

I'm not going to be of much help as I'm looking for a solution to the same problem! I've just for an S3, having moved from an HTC Desire on FroYo. On the Desire there was a checkbox to link the two together. Having just done a bit of searching on the net, it sounds like they changed things in ICS so that they were always linked and you had no option to unlink them. There was a lot of complaints and on Jelly Bean they changed it to the opposite; unlinked with no way to link them!

This is idiocy; what was wrong with the FroYo solution!?

If I find anything that does this I'll try to let you know.

EDIT:

Just had a look at another page; http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/38444/how-do-i-separate-ringtone-and-system-volume-on-jb, this seems to suggest there are ways of linking them on the 4.2 edition of JB! I'm on 4.1.2 so...

EDIT2:

Bizarrely I've just looked at some more messages; some seem to suggest the forced unlinking was introduced in ICS, and others say they were forcibly linked then! Either way, sounds like maybe 4.2 will help.

Upvote 0
I actually installed an app called Volume Ace Free and I love it. You can very easily set the volume for each of the options (ringtone, notification, system, etc). You can create profiles with various volumes for each setting and then schedule those profiles to take effect at specific times on specific days.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.braincrash.volumeacefree

You can also add a widget to the home page so with one tap you have access to all the volume options at once.

This solved my issue just fine.

Upvote 0
I thought this was working before, but maybe I'm just crazy. But I know it's not working now. I'm on Verizon and got the JB update a week or so ago.

I'm just trying to find a way to link the Ringtone and Notification volumes together like it was in past versions of Android on all my other phones.

I tried the Quick Settings app and the Volume Control + app. Both give a checkbox to link the two but neither actually does anything. When I move the volume rocker, the ringtone goes up and down but notification don't change at all.

I also use an app called Ring Scheduler to set my volume at certain times of the day. That also can only change the ringer volume and not the notifications.

I saw a thread about using Tasker, but didn't see a free version and don't really want to pay $7 just to fix this one issue.

Any other apps that work to link them, or apps that can schedule them and change both together, or anything like that would be great.

Thanks!

Go to sounds>volume>in there, should be a small box you should check off. That links the phone volume with the notifications. No need for any special apps.:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones