• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to maximize battery life? (Please help!)

under settings and location i think turn your gps off, mine was on from day 1. It even says under the setting, 'turn off to extend battery". I also was un impressed with the battery life but, i do agree with everyone else that it is getting better the more days i have it...also i took ppls advice to drain it down low then charge for aleast the first three cycles

Upvote 0
Att sucks. They removed the option to turn off 3G in the captivate. Hope someone figures out a workaround. I read people tried using apps in the market and still no luck. I actually get better edge than 3G at my work and home so I wish I could turn it off.

Is this definite? I see everyone here talking about using Juicedefender and it helping so what's the truth? Is there a workaround with root?

Upvote 0
Well. My captivate still sucks battery like crazy. Have juice defender installed. Trying every single trick known to mankind. This is really driving me nuts. If I cannot figure this out, I will have to return this phone. What good is even an excellent phone, if the battery does not last and I don't want to carry around extra batteries.

Upvote 0
My captivate also still sucks battery like crazy...with all my iPhones and heavy usage, the batterys always lasted me a least the whole day.

This phone sucks as when it comes to battery. I unpluged my phone after it was full 2 hours ago... im already at 74%...The one and only widget I have running is "fancy widget" and I have the weather set to my zip code so it doesnt search for gps...

If the battery doesnt seem to start getting better the phone will be going back to at&t...

Upvote 0
I let my battery run down until the phone turned off my itself yesterday. I was charging it with my Blackberry charger, which, come to find out, is a 550mAh. The charger that comes with the Captivate is a 700mAh. I charged it all night and this morning disabled Task Killers and JuiceDefender (which I still love) just to see raw battery performance. I have used it a little more than I did yesterday, even playing some videos and youtube and I'm sitting at 36%, as where yesterday I was at 38% at this time (I love JuicePlotter!). I guess that's an improvement with no managers loaded, I'll keep at it for a few days.

Upvote 0
You can also go into settings and make sure all extras are turned off... Should be able to even turn off 3G, which will actually make a big difference. Your going want it back on in times where your using your phone quite a bit, but good to turn off at down times for a few hours to help with battery life.

This is the kind of babysitting that is annoying the hell outa me with the DROID. I do not want to consume my time with turning on and off features as needed.

There is a pretty decent trade off for wanting the performance that a custom ROM/Kernel will give you, and battery life. I mean, the reality of it all, is that if you root your phone, and overclock, you are pushing your phone above and beyond its intended limits. I am realizing this now, and also realizing that I liked having a battery that lasted all day (and beyond) even with heavy use.

I think an upgrade to the DROID 2 or DINC is in my future.

Upvote 0
I just hit 24 hours since unplugged with minimal use (GPS/traffic tracking for 20 minutes, web surfing for 15 minutes, email for 15 minutes, texting for 30 minutes and aim for one hour) and I'm at 53%. This seems to be doing much better than the first cycle. JuiceDefender is a great addon, and advanced task manager is great at killing those useless applications that boot in the background (at&t stuff). I have it set to kill everything but juicedefender and battstatt. Coming from an iPhone, I like having everything closed unless I request it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
For me the big battery killer was the GPS. Turning it off improved my battery life a great deal.

Had it since Sunday.. Battery life was ok, nothing to brag about. Fiddled with GPS
Weds and turned on the GPS function. Thursday my battery cratered down to
33% from 8am to 5pm.

I killed GPS last night.

Left this morning with 90% charge and I'm still above 70%.

I use Juicedefender and I'm inside most of the time with very little
signal strength, so I'm honestly a bit impressed it doesnt drain faster
constantly looking for a signal @ max gain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones