• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to REMOVE a folder from the Gallery??

I'm not a Mac user so I don't know about OS X but you can download Astro File manager and do it from there.

ASTRO File Manager - Android app on AppBrain

This Astro suggestion was what I did...worked well. Launch Astro, did a SEARCH for the name "nomedia" Once you find the file. LONG PRESS any of the nomedia files you find and choose "Open Directory" Then LONG CLICK the nomedia file in the directory that opens and choose "Edit" and then "COPY"

NEXT, find the name of the folder using Astro where you want to place the file. Open that folder, click the MENU button on your phone and PASTE...you're all set!! NO NEED to "create" anything...just copy and paste to where you need!!

-------
EDIT:

I JUST SAW Mabsters post above with the VERY simple Menu->New->Directory->Compressed which if works is WAY LESS steps than my method above, however, as Mabster said, "at least we have multi ways to solve the problem"

Upvote 0
Yes - you use the unix underpinnings of OS X and you'll be ok.

Plug your phone in and mount it as a disk drive so it shows up in the Finder.

OS X Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal...

EarlyMon...use the TERMINAL app with unix codes?? YIKES!! LOL :eek:

Again, I'm thinking/typing out loud WITHOUT my Mac in front of me (pretty dangerous). Although I did the Astro method I described just before, I'm thinking the following....

Isn't it AS EASY as mounting the phone on the Mac...shows up on the desktop...open the SD card "drive" icon on the desktop...search for the ".nomedia" file...copy and paste where you need..."eject" the disk and disconnect the phone??

The ONLY issue I think we may run into is that the "." [period] in front of the file will make the file HIDDEN on the Mac so you have to enable the viewing if hidden files and folders, yes?? There are various free Mac programs that "allow" you to see the hidden files in folders (like those .DSstore files for folder settings)

I just think there's GOTTA be an easier way that that scary scary TERMINAL stuff!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hope this thought helps...I'm gonna try when I get home...if someone can confirm my thoughts PLEASE POST!

Upvote 0
EarlyMon...use the TERMINAL app with unix codes?? YIKES!! LOL :eek:

Again, I'm thinking/typing out loud WITHOUT my Mac in front of me (pretty dangerous). Although I did the Astro method I described just before, I'm thinking the following....

Isn't it AS EASY as mounting the phone on the Mac...shows up on the desktop...open the SD card "drive" icon on the desktop...search for the ".nomedia" file...copy and paste where you need..."eject" the disk and disconnect the phone??

The ONLY issue I think we may run into is that the "." [period] in front of the file will make the file HIDDEN on the Mac so you have to enable the viewing if hidden files and folders, yes?? There are various free Mac programs that "allow" you to see the hidden files in folders (like those .DSstore files for folder settings)

I just think there's GOTTA be an easier way that that scary scary TERMINAL stuff!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hope this thought helps...I'm gonna try when I get home...if someone can confirm my thoughts PLEASE POST!

Sorry for the delay if anyone was waiting these past few days for me to test out using my Mac to place the .nomedia files but FINALLY got a chance.

It DOES WORK, however, as I thought, the .nomedia files are HIDDEN in the system. So if you have any shareware or apps that allow you to see and copy/paste/move hidden files you can easily copy a .nomedia file from the SD card to wherever you need. Just mount the SD card in your phone onto your computer, use whatever Mac application that allows you to browse the mounted SD card drive and VIEW the hidden files. Search/find an already existing .nomedia file and copy it to the directory in the SD card that you need!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones