• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any way to restore auto driving / hands free mode?

I just got a car with Bluetooth capability (2011 Infiniti G37), and only now learned that the automatic driving / hands free mode for the Galaxy S4 apparently went away with the Android 4.3 update. Any idea why this capability was removed, and is there an app that can restore this? I've seen a couple for other phone models, but not the S4. And yes, I know I can go buy NFC tags and stick them in my car, but I'd rather not have to do that if it can be avoided.

On the Galaxy S4, there is a mode called "driving mode" or "hands free" mode which reads things out to you and responds to voice commands. It is designed for use in the car. You can select "hands free mode" in Settings. Originally, you could set up the phone so that whenever it made a Bluetooth connection with your car, it would automatically go into hands free mode, so you would not have to do it manually. That was removed for some reason in Android 4.3, and now you have to enter hands free mode manually.

Upvote 0
Had an opposite problem - turned auto-enable handsfree @ bluetooth connect -- and I wanted it off.

HOWTO:
1. Enable Hands-free mode from notifications menu
2. Hit Settings menu (lower left)
3. Connect to vehicle
4. Select the method of connectivity to auto-enable

You can choose wifi, bluetooth, or none.

I originally thought it would be good to have it auto-enable when it connected to my car's bluetooth. But I don't always 'use' my car's bluetooth. Sometimes I get in my car while my phone is connected to my headset (so I can keep the call going when I stop & get out). Problem is that even though my phone was connected to my bluetooth headset, it 'saw' the car's bluetooth, it enabled hands-free mode, and while I was talking on the call, hands-free mode kept thinking I was asking it to do something. So it was more distracting than anything, sitting over there in the passenger seat, listening in, not understanding, confused, trying to be helpful but talking out of turn, like my 3 year old.

Upvote 0
I think what you're talking about is S-Voice. Just kidding, just kidding.

Here's what you need to do if you have already paired your phone w/ your car.

Settings
More
Location services
My places
Car
Select method
Bluetooth
Then select the name of your car's bluetooth
Save

This should make it so Hands Free Mode turns on whenever you connect to your phone.

Reactions: mkoenecke
Upvote 0
I have connected my Galaxy S4 to my car's bluetooth in Location Settings, and I love that it automatically turns on Handsfree mode when I get to the car. However, it keeps trying to "talk" out loud to me thru the bluetooth instead of thru the phone's speaker, and this isn't working, even when I am not playing the radio or music via bluetooth. For now I have removed the "Car" in Location Settings, but I would rather have S-Voice Handsfree mode still turn on automatically, just use the phone's speaker instead of bluetooth. Is there a way to change the output method? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones