• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any way to stop Swype Beta 3.5 Force Closes with 2.3 ROM??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

I have a rooted EVO running 2.3 via the recent flashable update. Swype (version 2.5-ish I think) came pre-installed on that ROM.

In the past couple days, Swype came out with a beta version (3.5.xxx) that I wanted to try so I did some research and got some suggestions that all I needed to do was to freeze or remove the Swype apk via Titanium, run the beta install, download the beta and I'd be all set.

I went the "uninstall" route for the Swype apk and that went fine even though Titanium "warned" me that I was now messing with a "system app." I even reinstalled the Swype 2.5 version to see if I could get back to where I was and I had no problems.

So, I did the uninstall, signed into my beta login, downloaded Swype 3.5, installed and everything was great, UNTIL...

I reboot...then force close, fc, fc, fc, one after another, rapid succession with the following message:

FMszt.jpg

Now, although I was confident that all I had to do was uninstall the apk with Titanium, I did also read the suggestion to remove the following file in /system/lib as well:

/system/lib/libSwypeCore.so

The SPECIFIC file name that I found with Root Explorer was "/system/lib/libSwypeCore.2.50.72.20895.so"

AHA!!! I found the SwypeCore file and thought that since it referenced the ROM-installed 2.50.xxx number and the beta was 3.5.xxx that all I had to do was remove the file and I would be good to go!! I moved the file and renamed it to a non-root section of my card, rebooted and hoped for the best and...

NOPE...DID NOT WORK!! Same force close messages again!!

Now, NOTE: prior to accepting the download via the Swype beta install, I received the following WARNING:

lEcUo.jpg

I do read warnings and DID read the above. Even the Sprint site warns of this problem (Support - Article ) but honestly thought that, hey, I'm rooted, and if I (1) removed the apk file and (2) after experiencing the force closes, removed the SwypeCore file in /system/lib that I would AVOID the problems and the force closes....:thinking:

Well, as you can see now, I'm still having the problems.

I was wondering if anyone (has cared enough to :D;)) SUCCESSFULLY remove the pre-installed Swype apk and get back onto the beta version?? Or does anyone know what I need to do to avoid these force closes?? Is there something else that needs to be done or file removed?? I can pick and choose which Swype apk version to run (2.5.xxx or beta 3.5.xxx) but the beta 3.5 does not work.

An INTERESTING THING is that the beta 3.5 works JUST FINE WITHOUT PROBLEM after uninstalling version 2.5, running the beta installer and downloading/installing the beta version. But AFTER THE PHONE IS REBOOTED, then allllllll the force closes come back. SOMETHING during the reboot process...with the beta apk itself, or a system file or SOMETHING...and/or after startup is causing these force-closes!! Any ideas??

THANKS!!

I'm not quoting that novel lol. I myself removed swype to use the beta because swype doesn't work on sense 3. I didn't eff with the lib file just deleted in titanium, whether that removes the lib file I do not know. Anyhow is there a libswypecore.so in your lib now?

I have an issue after rebooting with the beta also. It doesn't fc just doesn't work until I switch input method to something else then switch back to swype then it works until I reboot again.....

Upvote 0
I'm not quoting that novel lol. I myself removed swype to use the beta because swype doesn't work on sense 3. I didn't eff with the lib file just deleted in titanium, whether that removes the lib file I do not know. Anyhow is there a libswypecore.so in your lib now?

I have an issue after rebooting with the beta also. It doesn't fc just doesn't work until I switch input method to something else then switch back to swype then it works until I reboot again.....

On behalf of everyone in the forums, THANK YOU for not quoting me! Question: did you need more detail? :) Just being thorough.....ly verbose, sorry!

At the moment I do not have that libswypecore file anymore. And since I'm still having the fc problems, it appears doing away with that file does nothing. I also have not tried changing input methods during my fc problems so I'll try that fix....much, much easier than my current method of uninstalling the beta, then reinstalling. Might be a day or so before I try if I don't reboot.

THANKS

Upvote 0
Did you try putting back your old lib file with the new beta and seeing what happens?

Have you tried to fix permissions? That helps with fcs a lot.

Tried wiping cache and dalvik since you installed the beta?

Haven't tried putting the lib file back because (1) I was getting fc's when it was in the lib directory and (2) the file name was SPECIFIC to the ROM-installed version of Swype (specifically "libSwypeCore.2.50.72.20895.so"

I haven't tried to fix permissions. If not for this Swype issue, could you kindly explain how I go about doing so?

And I have NOT tried to wipe either cache since installing the beta.

But BEFORE I try some of the options mentioned above, I received a reply to a post at the Swype forums from Brian Resnik, Swype Forum Administrator (that can be found here How to run Swype 3.0 beta if Swype was pre-installed on Verizon Droid X? )

Brian suggests MANUALLY removing the files and NOT FREEZING via Titanium. From the Swype Forum:

First thing's first...put things back to the way they were, with Swype BETA uninstalled. Make everything as "stock swype" as you can :)

Next, use ADB to manually remove the Swype preinstall files. The following should do it for you:
Code:
adb shell
# rm /system/app/Swype.apk
# rm /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
# rm -r /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/ [i](needs the -r 'cause it's directory)[/i]
Once you've done that, go ahead and install the beta. Make sure that EVERYTHING is gone before you install the beta. Using Titanium to freeze the system package can, and will, restore those files on reboot. Feel free to make backups to your pc or sdcard and NOT somewhere on the phone's internal memory of those files so you can restore them later if you need to. (# cp <file> /sdcard/<filename>, or from a terminal on your pc, 'adb pull <target_on_phone> <destination_on_pc>')

It looks like I removed the apk and the Swypecore.so file but NOT the data...at least, I don't think that I did and cannot confirm that the Titanium did when I did the uninstall.

MY questions...

I'm GONNA sound pretty doltish but I am not familiar with "using ADB." Is that simple Terminal commands run on the phone?? If so, do I have to grant SU permissions?? (seems so with the # designation but I could be WAY off) Do I have to mount any directory writable first?? Or do I simply open up Terminal on my phone and type:

rm /system/app/Swype.apk
rm /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
rm -r /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/

Brian's quote above has the "#" preceding the commands so I ASSume that the I have to type "SU" before entering the commands, yes??

Little guidance here with the Terminal commands would be GREATLY appreciated!! THANKS!!:)

Upvote 0
Haven't tried putting the lib file back because (1) I was getting fc's when it was in the lib directory and (2) the file name was SPECIFIC to the ROM-installed version of Swype (specifically &quot;libSwypeCore.2.50.72.20895.so&quot;

I haven't tried to fix permissions. If not for this Swype issue, could you kindly explain how I go about doing so?

And I have NOT tried to wipe either cache since installing the beta.

But BEFORE I try some of the options mentioned above, I received a reply to a post at the Swype forums from Brian Resnik, Swype Forum Administrator (that can be found here How to run Swype 3.0 beta if Swype was pre-installed on Verizon Droid X? )

Brian suggests MANUALLY removing the files and NOT FREEZING via Titanium. From the Swype Forum:

It looks like I removed the apk and the Swypecore.so file but NOT the data...at least, I don't think that I did and cannot confirm that the Titanium did when I did the uninstall.

MY questions...

I'm GONNA sound pretty doltish but I am not familiar with &quot;using ADB.&quot; Is that simple Terminal commands run on the phone?? If so, do I have to grant SU permissions?? (seems so with the # designation but I could be WAY off) Do I have to mount any directory writable first?? Or do I simply open up Terminal on my phone and type:

rm /system/app/Swype.apk
rm /system/lib/libSwypecore.so
rm -r /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod/

Brian's quote above has the &quot;#&quot; preceding the commands so I ASSume that the I have to type &quot;SU&quot; before entering the commands, yes??

Little guidance here with the Terminal commands would be GREATLY appreciated!! THANKS!!:)

I'm bumping this so I remember to get back to you...

You can run those in terminal or adb. Adb is android debug bridge, you run a shell on the comp and run those commands from there.

Yes grant su first.

Do you have adb installed? Install android sdk and it will come with adb now.

I promise I will drop more info on you later. Just trying to get you going.

You can fix apk in rom manager it has a simple one click button. You can fix in terminal by running a fixapk if you have dark tremor installed...there is another way I am forgetting right now...damn.

Fix uid is an option in the recovery more menu. Not likely the problem right now, just saying.

You can't remove anything system until you mount rw....just navigate to data/data and delete that file using root explorer you bought. No need to terminal.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
I'm bumping this so I remember to get back to you...

You can run those in terminal or adb. Adb is android debug bridge, you run a shell on the comp and run those commands from there.

Yes grant su first.

Do you have adb installed? Install android sdk and it will come with adb now.

I promise I will drop more info on you later. Just trying to get you going.

You can fix apk in rom manager it has a simple one click button. You can fix in terminal by running a fixapk if you have dark tremor installed...there is another way I am forgetting right now...damn.

Fix uid is an option in the recovery more menu. Not likely the problem right now, just saying.

You can't remove anything system until you mount rw....just navigate to data/data and delete that file using root explorer you bought. No need to terminal.

Hey evomattnc...VERY MUCH appreciate your help but do NOT go crazy quickly getting back to me. I think I'm in pretty good shape...trying the "manual" removal via Root Explorer because I don't have the adb and/or Android sdk installed. There was SOME sort of limitation with my computer...vaguely remember either the issue was that I needed a PC or that with my Mac, my OS isn't up to date enough to do so.

I think I'm in good shape. Will revisit preferences issue if needed...THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Ok well maybe I do a whole write up one day. Later, just bought a puppy today :)

Anyhow did you find that file and delete it in root explorer? Did that work?

Good luck with the puppy! I'm not so sure I would trade with you though (I have a 4 year old and 1 year old :eek::eek::eek:)

I did find the 3 files that I needed to delete with Root Explorer. Everything seemed to work fine except and until I reboot:( Upon startup, I start having those constant force-close notices pop up. The only fix at the moment is for me to change the input to "Touch," uninstall Swype, trash the com.swype.android.inputmethod directory, REINSTALL Swype and then reactivate Swype as my input method.

I don't restart my phone too, too often so it is not the biggest deal. And when I do get the fc's I'm kinda "used" to the process to rid myself of them. However, it is a bit tedious and annoying.

I'm going to post the above problems I am still having in the Swype forums and see what the Admin says...

Upvote 0
Good luck with the puppy! I'm not so sure I would trade with you though (I have a 4 year old and 1 year old :eek::eek::eek:)

I did find the 3 files that I needed to delete with Root Explorer. Everything seemed to work fine except and until I reboot:( Upon startup, I start having those constant force-close notices pop up. The only fix at the moment is for me to change the input to "Touch," uninstall Swype, trash the com.swype.android.inputmethod directory, REINSTALL Swype and then reactivate Swype as my input method.

I don't restart my phone too, too often so it is not the biggest deal. And when I do get the fc's I'm kinda "used" to the process to rid myself of them. However, it is a bit tedious and annoying.

I'm going to post the above problems I am still having in the Swype forums and see what the Admin says...

try fixing permissions in recovery. in amon ra it is found in the "other" selection. in clockwork mod in "advanced" selection

usually helps with any fc's you have.

Upvote 0
try fixing permissions in recovery. in amon ra it is found in the &quot;other&quot; selection. in clockwork mod in &quot;advanced&quot; selection

usually helps with any fc's you have.

I actually think I might have seen the permissions suggestion grin from you before and did so through Clockwork, however, it was NOT through recovery but, if I remember correctly, was an option I right when I launched the ROM Manager app.

I presume fixing permissions while in recovery might do so more thoroughly and properly? I should try bc doing do through the app did not fix my issue.

Thanks...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones