• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any Way to Unroot without being able to use the phone's screen???

DGalt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
So my screen, or something else, about my phone died. I'm beginning to think it's not the screen and actually the phone itself (since WaveSecure doesn't seem to be able to remotely lock / alarm the phone), in which case this post is moot.

In either case, there is no way to unroot the phone without being able to mount the phone, correct? Since I can't see anything on the screen I obviously can't mount it. I'd rather not try to have them replace a rooted phone though.

If the phone is fried, will they be able to detect that it was rooted?

If you're sure your phone is actually working without the screen on, you can follow the instructions in http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html . The only problem is that you won't see the screen saying that it is connected, updating, etc, but your computer will be telling you that info as well. I've done this several times over the last week, and now I can almost do it in my sleep (but my screens worked).

Best of luck... and I hope your phone isn't bricked.

Upvote 0
Are you postive its not a battery issue? Have you tried leaving the phone charging (from the AC adapter, not off USB from a computer) overnight? There have been many reports of such "bricking" but all seem to come back to life and most ar battery discharging issues.

I'll try this, but I don't think that that's the issue. The phone is on. I can tell the screen is on. Also, this happened after the phone had been connected to the AC charger all night (I actually don't know if the phone was working when I took it off the charger...it was working on the charger this morning though).

If you're sure your phone is actually working without the screen on, you can follow the instructions in http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html . The only problem is that you won't see the screen saying that it is connected, updating, etc, but your computer will be telling you that info as well. I've done this several times over the last week, and now I can almost do it in my sleep (but my screens worked).

Best of luck... and I hope your phone isn't bricked.

If I read that correctly, I don't actually need to mount the phone. Awesome!

They're sending me a replacement, so being able to just reset the phone is all I need

Upvote 0
You don't have to.mount the phone but you do have to load the bootloader which is extremely simple. Just power on the phone while holding up on the arrow pad. Takes literally three seconds for it to be in bootloader mode. Then rsdlite talks through the bootloader. I will say that it is not exactly easy to set up but once it is, it's a breeze to work. It takes about ten minutes or so to complete, and sometimes (about half the times) the computer may give you an error at 99% but each.time I've done mine it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I did pull the battery, didn't do anything.

RSD is running now (so it did see my phone, which is important in terms of whether or not the phone is at least pseudo-functioning). How do I know if it fails? Right now progress says "Executed 99%" and result says "in process..."

One other last ditch attempt if all else fails. Try taking out the SD card and restart the phone without it. See if it is able to boot. Then reinsert the card.

I'll try that next.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones