1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Any way to use the front facing camera for video chat?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shigglyboo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    Is this thing only good for taking pictures of yourself with no flash, or is there some service out there that will allow video chat?

Skype is supporting 2.2 (froyo), but this phone isn't officially supported, and it says it will only work with the back facing camera. Perfect if I want someone to chat with my lap, or whatever's in front of me, or if I want to be seen but not heard..., and be unable to see the person with whom I'm chatting...

Anyway. Just thought I'd toss this out there. Anybody been able to video chat with this thing?

Advertisement

2. tickerguy

tickerguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Tango works.

3. AtticTRON

AtticTRON Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    shigglyboo and JerBurdett like this.
  4. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    hrm, looks like a viable option, but only for other users who have Tango. I'm mostly looking for a way to chat with others via Google or Skype. Pretty sure Google owns Skype as well.

It would be nice if the carriers would get out of the way and let me use my phone as I see fit. After all, I paid for it, and I'm paying their monthly fee... No google voice (for voicemail) and no google chat (with video). And what's really weird, is VM doesn't exactly offer anything special for either of these. I was honestly shocked when I realized that voicemail for Android is from the stone ages. And so far I really have no idea what to use my front facing camera for. No flash, so pretty useless for taking pics, and I don't exactly know many people who have phones with front facing cameras, but lots of people are using their laptops or a webcam with Google/Skype for video chat... so what gives?

5. AtticTRON

None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Skype is actually owned by Microsoft.

6. bigvandal

bigvandal Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Ummm pretty much all the apps to chat work. Tango,oovoo,fring,skype, talk is just for 2.3 so thats googles fault not. What else u want from the ffc?

7. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    Are you saying Tango and other will integrate with Google/Skype? I have a handful of international friends that want me to video chat with them, so far I have to use my laptop, and was thinking it would be nice to be able to use my phone.

Weird that Microsoft is the owner, I recently installed Skype on my laptop and it offered to install Chrome and do something else googly...

8. AtticTRON

None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try the skype build I provided on my previous post. Both cameras work on my triumph for video chat.

9. tickerguy

tickerguy Android Enthusiast
    None

I tried it and the video is upside down ;-) The settings didn't fix it either.

10. AtticTRON

None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Try landscape mode. It fixed it for me.

11. Helgaiden

Helgaiden Member
    None

Oct 27, 2010
    What do you have against tango? its a quick download, unless you're trying to videochat with someone who is on skype on a PC or something of that sort. Otherwise, tango works great.

12. AtticTRON

None

Aug 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tango does work great but most people already use Skype and its got brand recognition. Also, Tango doesn't have a desktop client so that limits its user base.

13. JerBurdett

JerBurdett Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    The custom skype build above worked perfectly for me. The first time I tried I got the ffc to display right side up in landscape mode, no problems.

14. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    A bit late to the party here, but I downloaded the skype raider 2 build thing, and I'm able to get it to launch, haven't tested it yet (my skype friends are off by 13 hours).

I'm confused about how to actually install it. Do I have to navigate to the download folder and "launch" it every time I want to use it? Or is there some way to have it be recognized as an actual app. I downloaded it with the phone, and all I can do is open it up in the file browser, launch the app manager, then click launch, and skype loads. Not sure if I did this properly.

15. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    If you navigate to the .APK and select it, it will ask you if you wish to install it. I don't think you need to download anything special to get this sort of behavior.

Otherwise, you could download a program like Easy Installer, and try again, or just run Easy Installer and navigate to the .APK.

16. kevindroid

kevindroid Android Expert
    None

Oct 7, 2010
    Male
    electrician
    baltimore
    Try yahoo messenger with the plug in works really well :)