1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any word on sprint bringing 4g to Puerto Rico?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by pianista2go, Feb 15, 2011.

1. pianista2go

pianista2go Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I had an evo 4g but no 4g coverage...bad bad bad

Advertisement

2. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Animator/Graphic Designer
    Puerto Rico
    once you see that the states have a good 4g coverage then i believe you can ask yourself about having 4g here. trust me im in the same boat as you. i have a EVO 4g on one of my family plan lines... its frustrating to see the widget and get the battery drain and no data speed up. I'll be happy once they sort out the signal issue in PR. Signal > 4g.

3. eieio

eieio Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Going where others are afraid to
    Bat Cave
    Clear applied for and one Stimulus money to build out Detroit and P.R.

4. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    huh?! o_O?

5. eieio

eieio Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Going where others are afraid to
    Bat Cave
    Sorry.

Clear applied for and were awarded grants from the broad band stimulus fund to build out P.R. and Detroit.

6. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    but is it to fix the signal issue that sprint is currently suffering or to put up their wimax/4g ?

Centennial was the first mobile phone provider in Puerto Rico and as such they had the most coverage because they've had the longest time to build their network. Centennial's network is similar to Sprint so when sprint came along it was natural to rent some of the antennas.

And it was all good for a while.... Until AT&T did a hostile take over (Centennial) and severed all of the rented contracts that the company had with Sprint and T-Mobile.

Now... T-Mobile has always had iffy signal all over the island but they manage to hold their own... Sprint on the other hand has been plagued with dropped calls huge dead spots; in areas where they had signal before.

Now i've dragged my sprint account from FL to PR and back to FL and back to PR for the last 10 years. I can wholeheartedly say i rather they invest in getting more coverage and delay the 4g in PR than putting up 4g and then gripe about the lack of coverage.

I love blazing fast speed when i surf and having it at my fingertips with my phone is just such a tempting utopia for me. But honestly... if it means that i can't budge from my chair because im going to lose my network's signal then no.

7. pianista2go

pianista2go Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I hope they do something before 2012 or at least start because is not gonna make any sence to me buying any other 4g phone without 4g coverage.

8. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    When i purchased my EVO there was a huge disclaimer that even tho i pay 10 dollars more it has in no way to do with 4g availability or usage. The 10 dollars a month started as a premium phone fee. Now it's mutated into an android/blackberry/pre(R.I.P) owners fee since we use the data network more than other phones.

Now if you're a local in PR you should be used to mediocrity by now. i sure as hell am. I know hell is going to freeze over and unicorns are gonna fart out 100 dollar bills when 4g is finally integrated into the network here.

Not that im being negative but again... how do you expect to run when you cant walk? If you travel the whole island like i do you should have noticed by now those annoying dead zones that creep up on you out of the blue; In places where you had signal all the time (allowing you to brag against your buddy who is stuck on T-mobile and thus no signal).

After having both Sprint in the states and in PR... the company has come a long way. Specially in PR, but recently between company policy changes increase in prices and their coverage being kidney punched by tactical takeovers, sprints future seems troubled.

9. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Don't bet on 4G in PR. 3G would make more sense to re-deploy first as it can handle both data and calls and the area covered by towers will likely be better and wider. Wimax is for data right now.

As to whether Sprint is right for you, take a closer look. It sounds to me like another carrier would be the best bet. I can understand not wanting to switch, but it might make sense.

I have friends in parts of the continental US that are in the same position as those in PR when it comes to lack of coverage and lack of choices.

~Cha~ likes this.
  10. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    If you're on Sprint, it really makes no difference now, youll be paying the same for 3G and/or 4G. Since the 10 dollar charge is on all smartphones.

11. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The EVO doesn't need 4G to be awesome, it's awesome without it imo. I don't get 4G where I live unless I go into Downtown Pittsburgh. Even then I don't use it because it pounds my battery.

Viva la PR btw! ;)
    I married into a PR family and I have to say they are way more fun than my family!! Love the beans and rice, red beans , bakalow and chicharones (I spelled those wrong). :)

12. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Bacalao* is the correct spelling :D

13. silencer271

silencer271 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 9, 2010
    sprint doenst own the towers in PR anymore. So who knows

tholland85 likes this.
  14. ~Cha~

~Cha~ Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Puerto Rico
    Correction. Sprint has some antennas in the PR but it relied heavily on what it had rented from Centennial.

15. ebonilla03

ebonilla03 Lurker
    None

An article today in "El Nuevo Dia" states that Sprint is beginning to roll out its 4G service in Puerto Rico. Here's the article. I just got my Nexus S 4G,so I hope this roll out goes well.

"Sprint today introduced a new vision-based cellular communication software allowing them to deploy a new network "without limitation."
    "Network Vision" offers a flexible technology under which may provide a 4G network, based on either LTE or WiMax. The provider did not disclose when it will implement this new technology.
    Under this new network, the provider promised its customers better coverage, better service and your service "push to talk", allowing them to talk to each other with the touch of a button.
    Patricia Eaves, Sprint's general manager in Puerto Rico, said that for competitive reasons implementation date was not announced, but said that Puerto Rico has priority as part of the national plan.
    "We are in the implementation plan within the first eight markets in the Vision Network to be launched," said Eaves.
    Domestic investment for this project exceeds $ 22.000 million."

16. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Puerto rico is completely covered currently. They are in mid licensing talks and should have the network up and running before summers end (hopely). Unfortunately there has been road bumps, miscommunications, and failure to provided a two way licensing agreements has really slowed it down.

I was in puerto rico in 2006 building out the orginal wimax mobile network.