• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any youmail users get past the error message when it dials out?

shigglyboo

May 8, 2011
The default voicemail for MetroPCS is awful, nothing worse than having to dial your own number, wait, enter a code, then wait some more...

Youmail seems like it will basically do everything my iPHone did and more, except, it won't work. They say to click the help menu if you get the error message, but there's no options there that look like they may help.

I sent an email to their tech support but haven't heard back.

Anybody got it set up and working on an Optumus? When I try to set my current voicemail to 'forward' to Youmail it dials a number where I get an error message. That's as far as I've gotten.

The default voicemail for MetroPCS is awful, nothing worse than having to dial your own number, wait, enter a code, then wait some more...

I don't mean to sound condescending but why didn't you set up a direct dial short cut for your voice mail in Metro, add a few pauses and then your code? e.g. 555-555-5555,,,,9999
Also, I believe the CM7 ROM has an option to assign the #1 as your voicemail, just like the good ole' days.

Upvote 0
Because it would make much ever so much more happy if when I got a voicemail a friendly message would you "you have a message" and then I could just click it and hear the message.

I haven't dealt with old school dial out voicemail in three years, I didn't think it still existed honestly, except maybe on non-smart phones with minimal features.

side note - didn't mean to put this in the 'all things root' area, not sure if I have the ability to move it.

As far as Youmail though, it looks like it would be pretty sweet, if it would just get past the call forwarding error thing.

*snap, just got my response, their customer support is evidently quite good, but I'm an impatient jackrabbit, and so far this forum has been BEYOND helpful at getting acquainted with Android.

From Youmail:

"MetroPCS is a little tricky because the Conditional Call Forwarding feature only works within the local calling area, and you may need to add the Conditional Call Forwarding feature to your plan. Users have also reported that MetroPCS charges an extra $5/mo to enable this feature.

See this for how other users got it set up:
Metro PCS

I also highly recommend contacting MetroPCS and asking them to officially support YouMail. If officially supported, monthly cost can be lower with enough user demand.

Here is an access number you can connect to: (404) 845-7424"

Upvote 0
Fist, if you open your dialer and hold "1" it dials your voice mail on stock. Second, when I get a voice mail I get a notification and just pull down the status bar and push the button and it goes to voice mail. I'm not sure why your not getting notifications. Also, this may be weird, but I haven't had to put in my pass code for awhile now, since before I got this phone (not sure if that's good or bad lol)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones