• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody else considering getting rid of thier laptop and just use thier EVO?

The Evo is an excellent phone that does a lot of other things well, but I don't find any of its other functions to be as good or better than any of my dedicated devices. This includes, but is not limited to:

1. Gaming
2. Web browsing
3. Camera
4. Camcorder
5. TV/Video source
6. E-Mailing
7. Media center

The fact that I can do these things on the fly is awesome, even better when you consider how well it does them. A laptop replacement, though, it is not.

Upvote 0
The Evo is an excellent phone that does a lot of other things well, but I don't find any of its other functions to be as good or better than any of my dedicated devices. This includes, but is not limited to:

1. Gaming
2. Web browsing
3. Camera
4. Camcorder
5. TV/Video source
6. E-Mailing
7. Media center

The fact that I can do these things on the fly is awesome, even better when you consider how well it does them. A laptop replacement, though, it is not.

Oh god, this is worse than people calling iPad a laptop replacement...

(no no no no no no:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::eek::eek::eek::thinking::thinking:)

Upvote 0
I got an iPad to replace my laptop; still have a powerful desktop for when I need it, but now find that I don't use the iPad at all. The evo does so much more than the iPad, actually getting pissed I even bought the iPad. Love the evo; have movies on it for when traveling on planes, I do travel a lot, and can now get away without taking a laptop on trips.

Upvote 0
I am seriousl considering getting rid of thier laptop? I never use it anymore and literally just use my EVO. I may sell it. Anyone else?

Damn you are always right AlwayzRight (bah dump ching! ;))

I have a Nexus One and the second I can get a bluetooth keyboard to use with it I will dump my netbook in a heartbeat!

You a wise one AlwayzRight :)

Upvote 0
I got an iPad to replace my laptop; still have a powerful desktop for when I need it, but now find that I don't use the iPad at all. The evo does so much more than the iPad, actually getting pissed I even bought the iPad. Love the evo; have movies on it for when traveling on planes, I do travel a lot, and can now get away without taking a laptop on trips.

I think that would have happened to my wife also, If I got her an ipad. It would have just became my 2 year old's new toy or paper weight. Luckily, I convinced her into getting an Evo and she loves it. But back to considering about the Evo replacing my laptop. I wouldn't consider it happening anytime soon. Honestly, my laptop usage is less now but there are still certain things I use it for.

Upvote 0
LOL, I couldn't even imagine. It would be interesting to know just exactly what you do with your laptop. Evidently not:
Watching HULU or any movie.
Doing any video converting.
Writing any documents other than typical email length.
Any kind of graphics work, photo editing, etc.
Any kind of PC gaming
torrent downloading
watching TV, recording TV
what about just simply storing your master copies of photos, music and video?
how do you sync that stuff to your phone when you want it?

That basically leaves:
Email
Web browsing
Games
listening to music
reading documents, books

That's just the short list that took me 30 seconds to come up with. It also assumes you're not keeping a desktop around, so maybe that's the missing data. I could totally see that, though personally I couldn't make it on even the shortest out of town trip without a laptop. Although I've got 4 1 day flights coming up that I might try it on (I doubt it, though, nah.)

I excluded software development because that's less of a common thing for a computer user to do, but the other things I listed that you can't reasonably do on a cell phone are pretty common.

Upvote 0
Not even close.

Even if 10 years has passed, I would say smartphones would barely replace laptops.

If they had built in projectors of good quality and projected laser keyboards, then I could consider it. Those are actual reasonable things that could be available. What would stop it is that current software, the software that is current at any moment, demands a more powerful set of hardware than would fit in a phone. I'm quite sure that mobile phones in 10 years will be more powerful processor-wise than a typical laptop today. But Microsoft is so inefficient at writing software and so dedicated to make each progressive version significantly slower than the last that Windows 9 would take 2 days to boot, and forget actually starting notepad. Maybe Linux with a lighter weight shell or OSX, but will there still be such an utter lack of quality programs targeted for those platforms by then? Ha ha, just kidding, guys. Like anyone will be still using Microsux in 10 years. Maybe in 3rd world countries. Wait, the US will probably be a 3rd world country. Oh crap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones