• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anybody else feel pwned by Sprint?

Well I do. Not trying to hate or complain even though I am. Most of us paid $180 for this phone and now I hear Verizon has come out with their version of the HTC Hero, the HTC Driod Eris, for $100? I mean really?

Supposedly the specs are virtually the same. Not sure what to think anymore except that I got pwned. :mad:

Look at the complete package. It is the best $80 you ever spent. $45 for data over there the last time I checked!

Upvote 0
Plus you get to upgrade in 1 year not 2 as long as you are a Premier Member which everyone here should be...at least soon. By then there should be 2.0 handsets that will make the Moto Droid seem dated. Personally I like Sense a lot more than the Stock UI, although the gap is being closed. Good things are ahead for Android. Now Sprint needs to get onboard and encourage the innovation by releasing all available updates.

Upvote 0
UPDATE to my post...

here is the plan pricing....

450 Everything Data on Verizon 99 per month (mobile to mobile with Verizon customers only)
900 Everything Data on Verizon 119 per month (mobile to mobile with Verizon Customers and 5 free to and from numbers)

So that means in 3 months, I saved 10 dollars being with Sprint on the 450 plan. Now on top of that, I was able to stick with 450 minutes because most of my calls are to other mobile phones on different networks with few land line. With verizon I would be forced to go to the 900 minutes.

Upvote 0
Well I do. Not trying to hate or complain even though I am. Most of us paid $180 for this phone and now I hear Verizon has come out with their version of the HTC Hero, the HTC Driod Eris, for $100? I mean really?

Supposedly the specs are virtually the same. Not sure what to think anymore except that I got pwned. :mad:

If they were released the same day, you'd have a point.

But, the fact is, technology is obsolete the moment you take it home. It depreciates very very quickly. That's why it's a good idea to NOT have the latest gadgets because you wait two months and the price drops.

My partner bought a plantronics stereo bt headset for 130, on sale a year ago . I just got for 30 bucks, not on sale, a month ago.

Upvote 0
I came to Sprint for the Pre and switched to the Hero when it came out. I had several WinMo phones on Verizon and finally a BlackBerry. With the BB I was paying about $180/month for the minutes, data, and the special BB fee. I switched to Sprint and save about $100 a month. I figure even if I change phones twice a year, I am still coming out ahead (since I got the Pre on the new account discount, I paid $480 or whatever for the Hero).

Upvote 0

Do me a favor. Work the math on the phone + plan costs for the duration of the contract and get back to me, mkay?

What you'll find out is that even though the initial cost of the Hero on VZ is cheaper, you'll generally spend way more over the duration of the contract with VZ than you would with Sprint.

If you dont feel up to doig the math, I may do it myself... just for giggles, and to prove the point.

Also dont forget that VZ also directly competes with Sprint, that said, offering up nearly the same phone, at the same price wouldnt really make much sense. Not when your overall prices are higher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones